Sunday, October 29, 2023

On Leaving The Ranch


Departure days from The Ranch are always tinged with sorrow.

I have a routine that I have stumbled into over the last two years in getting ready to leave.  Laundry is always done the day before.   Vacuuming and toilet cleaning/preparation are done either the night before or morning of, depending on departure times.  Dishes are in the cupboard except for what is needed for breakfast.  Last fire is banked on the day before departure, so only the ashes need be cleaned out into the bucket before I go to be dumped upon my return.

The mental part is harder, of course.  That said, there is not the sense of leaving my parents as there used to be. 

I saw my mother this visit as I do almost ever visit.  As always, she is kind although my sister and I are sure that she does not have a clue who we are.   She definitely looks much thinner now and I am struck over the visits by how different her haircuts are - this time her hair was longer, something I cannot ever remember seeing in my memory, only in pictures.  But she is no longer here in that sense; her memory gently pervades the place in the items that remain and the memories that I have.

My father is here more to me as a presence - not as much in the house (although his chair by the fire remains where it has always been and is as toasty as ever in the Winter) as on the property.  Walking about it, I can still hear him mumbling about getting the brush hog out to knock down the sprouted brush or out on his walks with a hoe, taking out volunteer star thistle that he worked so hard to eliminate.  But he, too, is a memory floating above and around this place.

The biggest thing I miss when I leave is the peace.

At least two days this week, I saw no-one physically for the greater part of the day.  Certainly I interacted with people via phone and InterWeb - that is my job, after all - but there was no physical presence.  There was also no noise such as impedes on my every day existence in "The Real World":  of note this week was a chainsaw team working a tree at my Aunt and Uncle's that ran almost all day, but that was it.  The turkeys wandered by on their endless quest for food, the deer continued their evening and morning dining.  Life here - Life in its fullest form, not just as a human-centric item - continues at pace all its own. 

Soon enough after the post on Saturday morning, I will re-enter the world.  I will make the drive to my sister's, get taken to the airport, packed in a flying tube, and shipped back to New Home.  At every touch point the modern world will ratchet up its presence - people, sound, activity - until by the time I arrive home I will be engulfed by the reality of 24 hour/365 day modern urban America, where there is something going on at every minute and progress seems measured only by the noise and activity we can generate.

An odd thing happened on Friday as I drove up to see my Aunt and Uncle.  As I went in the house, my Uncle said "Seeing you come up the driveway with the white hair and on the Gator, I almost thought you were your father."  I laughed of course - I can completely imagine what he was talking about as I had seen my father do that a thousand times driving up to the house - but it struck a chord in me that I could not shake.  There was a certain rightness - to the driving, to being mistaken for my father, for the drive back down to my parent's house, and even in pulling aside for a few moments and visiting with the neighbors that had come to feed the cattle.

This is what I lament most when I go:  this sense of always leaving somewhere that it feels like I belong.

14 comments:

  1. Having two worlds (so to speak) to experience really highlights the contrast between them. It amazes me how people in the busy world can become so accustomed to it that they don't realize there's another. I sincerely hope that someday, that peaceful world can become your full-time world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, I am home this morning. Took Poppy The Brave for a walk. You would not know there was a world like The Ranch if this was your only point of view - Good Heavens, if you only ever lived in urban environments you could not imagine such a place.

      I do hope so as well. A discussion with my manager may be in order.

      Delete
  2. I love the peace and quiet as well. I've found some room in a nearby townette. It is quiet and peaceful when I've stopped by to look around. I'm praying the move will happen and life will be... better there. I miss the place I was raised. But it exists only in my mind now. It's good you still have the old homestead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR, the woods and pastures I used to roam as a child are all built up and over now with homes; like you it is something that only exists in my mind (C.S. Lewis lamented the same about the hills of Northern Ireland he grew up in). Which in my mind makes preserving that particular piece of land all the more important.

      Delete
  3. Belonging a human desire. Seldom do I find someone that truly wants nothing to do with that feeling of belonging, unless drowning in self-hate. We are social creatures and like Tolkin's Hobbits greatly enjoy the quiet of a pot of tea in a comfortable place with a pal or three.

    Complexity, thy name is human.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, perhaps it is that most of us need to find our level to which we want to belong, but society or social pressure tells us something different and it is up to us work out for ourselves what that means.

      Delete
  4. Nylon1210:18 AM

    You and the Ravishing Mrs. TB have your own home, replete with all that and who you two have established, yet The Ranch was your parent's home, the peace present by their absence perhaps if I read rightly. Your last sentence strikes home TB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, and it is not, Nylon12.

      I have been going to The Ranch at long as I have been alive. To me, it is a link in my history and my family history, perhaps the last link left at this point. And even at that, I know it is a transient thing: at best I can push off such forgetting only a generation or so.

      And yet.

      And yet what it represents - peace, serenity, Nature, literally God Walking in the Trees - is something I, and the world, badly need.

      Delete
  5. So, how long until you move entirely there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, sometime between 6 months and 4 years? It is in flux and may even end up being a staged move over time. Part of it would depend on if my current job is willing to countenance a reverse commute sort of thing like I am doing now: three weeks there, one week here.

      Delete
  6. When I was younger, I regularly went two days or more without seeing or interacting with other people and never had any issues with that. But after so many years of being married with a kids, when they leave me for only a day, the silence can be deafening. I try to appreciate it just the same as I know it is temporary but it is very hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I have always been something of an introvert but between the last three years of working from home and commuting once a month to The Ranch, I find that the activity of being around other people is deafening. I am far more productive on my own than I am in the office or surrounded by people.

      Delete
  7. I have gotten to where towns/cities are nice to visit for the conveniences they have; but coming back out to what used to be "the farm", is very welcome. So I know what you mean, TB.
    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, me as well - although the conveniences beyond the necessities are becoming less and less interesting. Partially because I need less, partially because I enjoy the population less and less.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!