Sunday, June 05, 2022

Evening Prayer to The Holy Spirit

 O Lord, Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth, show compassion and have mercy on me Thy sinful servant, and loose me from mine unworthiness, and forgive all wherein I have sinned against Thee today as a man, and not only as a man, but even worse than a beast, my sins voluntary and involuntary, known and unknown, whether from youth, and from evil suggestion, or whether from brazenness and despondency.

If I have sworn by Thy name, or blasphemed it in my thought; or grieved anyone, or have become angry about anything; or have lied, or slept needlessly, or if a beggar hath come to me and I disdained him; or if I have grieved my brother, or have quarreled, or have condemned anyone; or if I have been boastful, or prideful, or angry; if, as I stood at prayer, my mind hath been distracted by the wiles of this world, or by thoughts of depravity; or if I have over eaten, or have drunk excessively, or laughed frivolously; if I have thought evil, seen the beauty of another and been wounded thereby in my heart; if I have said improper things, or derided my brother’s sin when mine own sins are countless; if I have been neglectful of prayer, or have done some other wrong that I do not remember, for all of this and more than this have I done: have mercy, O Master my Creator, me Thy downcast and unworthy servant, and loose me, and remit, and forgive me, for Thou art good and the Lover of mankind, so that, lustful, sinful, and wretched as I am, I may lie down and sleep and rest in peace.

And I shall worship, and hymn, and glorify Thy most honorable name, together with the Father and His Only-begotten Son, now and ever, and unto the ages.


Amen

(Source)

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:15 AM

    That middle portion sure covers a lot of bases (making me squirm a bit!). -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, it is a rather complete list. Far more inclusive than the usual "Forgive Us Our Sins" one usually gets, if that.

      Delete
  2. Nice. A bit long to memorize . . . and I certainly violated the "sleep" part today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I have been reading it off my hand app. It is a little long to memorize. On the bright side, I can beat almost anything into my head with years of trying.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous12:18 PM

    It is long TB, yet very on target with much that our sinful selves needs confession of. A phrase during confession I am fond of is “…forgive for sins we have done, and for what we have left undone”. After congregationaly that confession our ordained Pastor announces our forgiveness based on faith and shed blood of Christ the risen Savior. That absolution and the sharing of the Sacrament of Holy Communion is what makes my Sunday service a completely good start of the new week. That is the top priority for church and the body of Christian faith. Then we are compelled to learn and digest the biblical teachings, through congregational and private biblical study strengthened by knowledge that we are going about Gods work both in us and through us. By no merit of our own am I worthy of Gods forgiveness except my faith in what he has and is doing for all believers.

    Franknbean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very much on target FB. The specificity is what draw me in and makes it all the more real. It is not just a random comment on "sins"; it is a very specific list of them (and even at that, not all inclusive). That is the sort of reminder we need to make our sin all the more real.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!