Friday, June 03, 2022

On Being Alone At Home

 For the upcoming week I will largely be alone at home.

The Ravishing Mrs. TB and two of the three (Nighean Bhan, Nighean Dhonn) have gone adventuring to North for a week; the third (Nighean Gheal) is leaving on Saturday to visit some friends "Back East".  From Saturday Afternoon through Wednesday evening, I will be "on my own".

Being at home alone is a pretty unremarkable thing.  This is certainly not the first time this sort of thing has occurred, what with a wife that likes traveling and children who go to school and college and other associated things.  Sometimes well meaning people will ask "What do you do?  Live it up?"

Sadly, not really at all.

Given my preferences, me being at home alone looks a great deal like me really just staying at home.  My "outings" remain the same as ever:  Iaijutsu class three nights a week, gym three nights a week, volunteering at the rabbit shelter on Sundays.  Beyond that, or trips connected with those, I really just do not go out.

In some ways it is an ideal life.  The noise level is zero, beyond Poppy The Brave barking at passers-by and A the Cat commenting that something is not to his liking.  Energy use goes way down, as do the overall number of house chores (less dishes, etc.).  Cooking for myself when alone is a pretty haphazard affair of what is in the refrigerator, easy to make, and possibly does not even need to be cooked at all.

The animals are all here to keep my company of course, and in that sense it has the benefit of being at The Ranch in that they are here with me.  Pets very much keep one on their toes (especially the guinea pigs, who constantly remind me that they "practically starving").  And I have enough of a regular schedule as listed above with the added sorts of things people need to do:  walk Poppy The Brave, clean cages, make sure the garden is staying watered and the yard is not withering to dust.

I am happy when everyone comes back of course, but I do enjoy the peace and silence as well.  In a way, I suppose, that is one thing that makes my marriage work: The Ravishing Mrs. TB likes to go places and travel, while I am perfect happy staying in and do not mind her going.

There will be a few special things of course (there always are):  I will make the coffee that I like in the morning (Cafe Du Monde Coffee with Chicory; it is too strong for anyone else), perhaps make a meal that only I tend to eat, and even excuse myself to the Used Book Store to see what they have.  Minor luxuries and preferences, but I figure that I am entitled to them.

After all, someone has to sacrifice and stay here.

18 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:45 AM

    I'm also not much into travel these days so avoid it if possible. For me, a 'staycation' is much more relaxing and I have time to do time consuming chores at my pace. Cooking is usually a one pot meal or a pair of sandwiches.

    We have both indoor and outdoor pets so their care is left in my hands. All in all, I'm at peace when 'stuck at home'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am of the same mind. My monthly trips to The Ranch tamp down any need to travel more and frankly, I relish the time at home (after all, I pay for the house: why should I not spend most of my time here).

      And yes, cooking is simplistic and quick.

      Delete
  2. An odd coincidence in timing.
    For only the second time in almost 43 years I will be by myself this weekend as my wife is going to be away for the weekend with her book club. (I'm not counting the time she had her appendix removed, that was not her choice)
    Other than finishing watching the new Dune, I have little planned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John - that is an odd coincidence. I will sometimes do the same as you and plan a movie viewing or a shopping expedition I would not otherwise normally do.

      Delete
  3. I tend to get a lot done with an empty house. My once was gone for three weeks with both kids and I gutted the garage to the studs and built it back up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Ed. My projects tend to be much less ambitious, although to be fair I suppose I have to fit it in between my "day job" as well.

      Delete
  4. Nylon127:12 AM

    Considering the skyrocketing cost of gas/diesel along with the continuing rising costs of those fuels, staying home is not quite a sacrifice eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it sure helps Nylon12. I have gotten to where I begrudge anything that takes me outside of my usual mileage at this point. I literally view it as costing me extra money, and make my considerations accordingly.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous7:47 AM

    Being alone at home is awesome but strange, the lack of noise and activity makes you more aware of the little sounds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very conscious indeed. The ice-maker and refrigerator are the most noticeable to me as they are the most noise producing (other than Poppy The Brave and A the Cat, of course.

      Delete
  6. I suppose it depends upon how one defines "living it up," lol. When Dan was over the road I was home alone most of the time. I loved being able to eat popcorn for dinner while watching an episode of Doctor Who (Dan's not a Whovian). I love that he's not gone anymore, but I kinda miss my "living it up" days. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, I understand. These times are infrequent enough now that I can enjoy them.

      And yes, a "modified" diet and watching Anime or the sorts of movies only I enjoy may be on the menu...

      Delete
  7. One of my favorite quotes from The Portable Curmudgeon is from J.B. Priestley: "One of the delights known to age, and beyond the grasp of youth, is that of Not Going." I am old enough to truly relish the trips and meetings I do not have to participate in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I very much like that quote Greg. True riches or value is the ability to not have to do something or go somewhere you do not want to.

      Delete
  8. Quiet time for reading? Be safe, all, and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:14 AM

    I relish time alone at home. While I love to travel, I still have a day job, unlike my retired wife. I do that job from home. So the wife travels with and without me, and when it’s without me, I am quite content. Depending on how long she’s gone, I might not leave the property. If she’s gone a few days, I might visit a casual restaurant or a brewery for a change of scenery, taking a book with me. I think about calling someone to meet me but rarely do. All of this points to why it’s good when she comes home. I can become way too content on my own, unhealthily so. Marriage is a great cure for that. (Anonymous Bob from the airport.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob (and I am liking the moniker "Anonymous Bob"), I really am a person that if I had my way, I would almost never leave the house - or were I at The Ranch full time, I would be even less likely to leave there. I might do as you do - go grab a meal somewhere or go to the odd store I would not ordinarily go to, but really if I have food and supplies, there is no real reason to go out except for my regularly schedule activities (Iaijutsu, gym, rabbit shelter). Which indeed is why it is good that I am married, as I would othewise not get out at all.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!