Thursday, June 16, 2022

Preconceptions In Serving God III

 The third story in what has apparently become a trilogy is a little more vague in terms of dating in my mind - not so much that I do not remember the event clearly, but that I do not remember the moment where the realization hit.

The year (likely) was 2011 or maybe even  2012.  We had, again, changed up our lives:  we had since relocated to New Home.  Na Clann were all now in school, attending a K-8 Christian school with an attached church.  Membership got one a decreased tuition, so of course we had joined.  It was a flavor (a more conservative flavor, perhaps unsurprisingly) of our previous denomination (the one that had suggested teaching was a better option).   It was much more established with a formal clergy and elective board. 

But they did have a music ministry.

I felt relatively comfortable in music - I had been involved with music since the sixth grade instrumentally and vocally, had performed as an adult in a music duo and a group, and had spent 4 years performing on the Worship Team at our previous church.  There was  not really a formal process at the new church - one just simply got "asked" - but somehow I managed to get myself "asked".

And so, I joined the 11 AM Worship team.

In my previous Worship Team incarnation, I had performed literally every Sunday.  Here it was much more of an "on-again, off-again" schedule.  But I was more than happy to do it.  I was feeling as if I was serving.

Relevant to what happens next, it is important to know that I love to sing.  I tend to sing loudly - perhaps too loudly, in the view of some.  And while I love to sing, I almost completely lack the ability to harmonize - at all.  I can carry a tune well and even to some extent by ear, but that is only the melody.  Finally, I have an arguably limited range - upper bass to low baritone, perhaps 1.5 octaves.  Within my range, I am great.  Outside of my range, things become iffy.

The service was a Christmas service.  The song was Veni, Veni Emmanuel (O Come, O Come Emmanuel). I was excited when I saw the listing.  I knew this song.  I loved this song.  I loved the fact it had Latin verses (which I could pronounce and sing).  I loved that it was - squarely - within my range.

But during rehearsal that week, a couple of things became evident.  The first was that the arrangement was not the standard key; it was higher.  The second was that the decision had been made that I was going to solo.

I tried to suggest - mildly - that singing with someone else would have been better.  We practiced with two people singing the part - and even then, my voice was starting to crack like a 13 year old.

But Sunday came.  And on that Sunday, I soloed. 

Was it terrible?  No, it was not a train wreck.  Was it great?  Also no - I could hear myself straining and reaching and not quite hitting the upper notes (incredibly frustrating for a song that, if it was in the original key, I knew I could sing).

We finished.  The Ravishing Mrs. TB made some kind comments.  We packed up and went home to celebrate the season of Christmas.

And that was the last time I was ever asked to sing.

It did not hit me at first - after all, things were on a rotation.  But after 3-4 months of waiting, including having very small groups of singers when I was obviously there, even I got the hint.

My service after that - up to the time that we ended up leaving to switch to the church my wife worked at - was limited to communion service as requested.  I never asked about why nor was I ever told.  Even after the person in charge of that function left his position, I did not bring it up.

I completely understand not having someone with a skill do that skill.  The only thing that ever bothered me about the situation was it was fairly clear during rehearsal that I could not hit that note, yet I was put in a position where I was supposed to do it.   If this was something important - a time of war or a "Sing Or Die" moment, perhaps?  But for a typical Sunday service?  That seemed, well, a bit like a proverbial "Hail Mary", or a reason to ask someone to step aside without doing so.

The lesson - combined with the other two - stuck well enough:  when we became members and started attending our current church, I carefully looked at options and selected the ones that involved minimum public exposure:  making coffee and setting up after hours.  Both were within my wheelhouse of skills.  And both involved no risk of personal investment being wasted or simply being shuffled to the side without comment.  

Service in silence, it seemed, was the true calling.

12 comments:

  1. At our church, all singing is by volunteer only and they are always asking for volunteers. They just put a calendar up once a year and you sign your name up where and as often as you please. I suppose this allows people to stay in their wheelhouse. Since I don’t sing, I don’t know what happens when a song comes up on your turn that isn’t in your wheelhouse. I do know we’ve had some struggled singing but I never judge them as their struggles are always better than I could ever do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I have been at other churches where they will literally take you if you can hum a bar or two (mostly these are larger choirs).

      I find the singing falls into two categories: the "take almost all comers" which can be lovely (but can lead to some of the struggling singing - myself included!), and the more "worship team" style, which tends to more closely police such things. There is certainly something to a well performed piece. My only thought - as always - is that it will eventually discourage some who might be willing to try but do not feel they are "professional" enough.

      Delete
  2. Gravy TB. That was messy. It sure reminds me of substance over content. "Joyful noise" is in the Word for a reason!! I've ganked a solo, too. And it was acapella! I remember how uncomfortable people looked and I was too stubborn to quit. "You asked me to do this, so you get to suffer with me!" Sadomasochist Soloists for 500!

    My folks were Southern Baptists. I figured the SBC could trace itself back to John the Baptist. Might explain their legalism. ;) I remember the guessing games in those churches. I didn't like it at all. I wonder if professional church is prone to that?

    I attended a country community church after high school. I came to know Jesus there, mid August 1981. No denomination, not a holy roller church either, but world class Christianity was lived out there. My Sunday school teacher asked me to bring a Sunday evening message. I barely remember the stumbling mess I was but the folks were appreciative. They encouraged me to continue. THAT set the stage for a life of service. It wasn't about the performance, it was about the service. And after much serving the performance got smoother.

    At Rice Temple Baptist in Houston, they elected deacons. And there weren't any classes or a slate. The membership voted on three men they thought were already doing the job. And it worked perfectly. Everyone knew who was serving already. Rarely were there more than five names on the ballots, and three were always a landslide. It was obvious who God had set apart for service.

    I'm really glad I was brought along in that Godly, small, country church. I don't think I would have amounted to anything if I hadn't been there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR, we largely grew up in mainline denominations and I have happy memories of structured services and hymns (although on the whole, I do find Baptist hymns a little more "invigorating"). I honestly do not recall how the church ran in those days, other than we had a board meeting that we as kids had to sit through after a potluck.

      You indeed sound fortunate, friend. In a way I had that experience to in the more "traditional" churches I grew up in; I just have not found my place in the different church world.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous10:20 AM

    As my comment hints to on your yesterday’s post I find that seeking out and holding up our fellow parishioners in prayer and study we are doing the Lords will in encouraging other souls plus receiving his blessings through those relationships to our own souls well being. Keeping the Sabbath in prayerful fellowship is called being a member of the body of Christ. That’s what I believe.

    Long first sentence there was awkward but it says what my heart is telling me. Thank you for your trilogy post TB

    Franknbean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very sound theology FnB (and no worries - my sentances often are far longer and less clear than yours!). Certainly we can do that without any other "calling" required.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous11:04 AM

    Having spent years (decades!) in choirs (church & school, some volunteer and some by audition) both singing and ringing handbells, I now attend an early morning service at which there is no music at all. It suits me at this point in my life.

    You were brave to do the solo, knowing it was not really within your range. I might have protested a little more forcefully. (In reality, I would never have agreed to solo. I like harmonizing)

    I'm like you. I prefer silent service behind the scenes.

    -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly - Handbells are very cool. One of our former churches had a very enjoyable handbell group.

      I have to say I enjoy silence more as well as I get older. New worship especially is targeted at a younger demographic, and I suspect it will not age well over time.

      Delete
  5. What STxAR said. My first thought was "Joyful noise unto the Lord."

    Glad you are able to serve where you are happy, TB.
    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I am certainly serving where I am useful - everybody loves the people that bring the coffee.

      Delete
  6. Actual, true story: One Sunday at church I had a really sore throat - couldn't talk. Couldn't sing. On the way home, The Mrs. said, "the songs were so beautiful today." I took the clue. My future singing was, um, much less enthusiastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oddly enough John, I have had a similar experience, not so much with a comment but a sidelong glance or two. And yes, singing became a great deal less "robust"...

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!