Saturday, June 04, 2022

Four Books And A Value Lesson

 Last Sunday I made my fairly customary visit to my local Regional Used Book Store Chain.  It is conveniently on my way back from the Rabbit Shelter and I can usually be in and out in 10 minutes if nothing catches my eye (I have my book searches down to a science).  Lo and behold, when I wandered through the Science Fiction/Fantasy section, they had not one, not two, but four books from one of my favorite authors, H. Beam Piper (to those unfamiliar, his book Space Viking remains one of my favorite science fiction books and one of the best descriptions of failing societies and the growth of totalitarianism in a fictional form).  

I initially deferred buying them - after all, did I really need another four books?  The week wore on until I thought about it hard again and based on my last hike and the fact that I could have benefitted from one or two lightweight books (weight wise and thought wise), I decided I had better get them.  To my good fortune, they were all there.  

I paid the princely sum of $8.63.  

Although all the stories of these books were written in the 1950's and 1960's (Piper committed suicide in 1964, cutting off an otherwise promising career), the editions of the books date from 1981-1983 - in fact, three of the four covers (Empire, Federation, and Uller Uprising) I remember from that time period.  

Again, there was no particular need for "new" books.  And much of Piper's material is now available on Project Gutenberg as the copyrights have lapsed (except, of course, I just cannot really do electronic books).  And they certainly met a need.  But I walked back to the car, preening my inner decisive self, I suddenly realized that, like most paperbacks of the era, the original price was printed on the cover.  A little quick addition indicated that - had I purchased these books in 1983 on the publication date of the last one - I would have paid $11.20 before tax, or (using current tax rates), $12.18.


Because I am that way, I checked my math. An Inflation calculator (I used three to check) indicates my $12.18 in 1983 is worth $35.35 to $36.65.  $8.63 (in case you were wondering) in 1983 dollars was between $2.97 and $3.02.

Somehow, over the course of 40 years, I "paid" less for them than I would have back in the day.

This is - to my mind - one of the greatest and easiest lessons about value.

Value - as any experienced seller will tell you - is not about what you as the seller think something is worth.  It is simply worth what the buyer is willing to pay for it.  Sometimes things have an inherent value (like, for example, certain cars or certain precious metals or particular famous works of art).  Some things have a random value (one book I own, Just Enough, which I bought at the original purchase price, is somehow worth $90).  But value is always something that is based on what ultimately the buyer believes the item is worth to them (be it for use, personal enjoyment, or profit), not what the seller believes it is worth or what the seller paid.

It is a pretty easy lesson to grasp for a nation state and its inhabitants that so often spend, somehow thinking that everything it or they purchase can eventually be sold for the same or more value.

11 comments:

  1. At auctions the price of an item is established by when the second-to-last bidder stops bidding.

    So the price of a single item is not established by the mass of the market nor is it established by the person who wants it most. It is established by the penultimate bidder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of it that way ERJ, but you are right - my only experience is really with Ebay sorts of online auctions; I have never been at an in person one (oh, what a catastrophe that would be). My experience is largely in the real estate market and collectibles, where sellers were always crushed when "they paid this much and are only getting that much".

      Delete
  2. I amassed a great deal of radio gear in my work as a broadcast engineer and land mobile support. I used the parts and pieces to maintain critical systems until the cellphone ended the need. Now I am scrapping out stuff that was multiple tens thousands of dollars originally, and is irreplaceable if someone had a need for it. But no one does... And I don't want nature to just bury it... It does have some worth as scrap.... Hurts my heart to say that..... I got almost a hundred dollars for $24,000 (new cost). It's not easy when you know the original cost and today's "worth".... Looking at the inflation calculator, $24K new -> $30 scrap. (cir. 1980)

    Time and tide......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR, that is it exactly - things that were thousands of dollars (in old money) are virtually worthless now. My much less interesting comparison is selling CDs and books at the Regional Used Book Store. If I am lucky, I will net 5% of the amount that was spent on all of the items initially. In the back of my head I think "Oh, if I only had that money now..."

      Delete
  3. Anonymous1:56 PM

    Thanks to you, Space Viking is waiting in my TBR. Fortunately my digital library has is. -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, I hope you enjoy it. I find it to be - so far anyway - the most solid of his novels. I might also recommend Four Day Planet and A Planet for Texans. Four Day Planet has some of the same themes as Space Viking; A Planet for Texans is just a fun story.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your find, TB. :) You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda! When you live a simple life, it is easy to be excited by the ordinary.

      Delete
  5. I'm always happy for a recommendation for good sci fi. I wholeheartedly agree with you on both hardcopy books and value.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, Piper is one of those authors that I can whole heartedly recommend - partially because he wrote in the 50's and 60's (and so abides by the mores of the time), but also because he is a great story teller that deals with situations and decisions and the logical outcomes of those decisions (sort of Jerry Pournelle before Pournelle, although Pournelle was the executor of the estate and writes in the same fashion).

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!