Saturday, August 29, 2020

To Know If The Water Is Hot or Cold...



I love this quote of Yamaoka Tesshu.  It perfectly sums up what is truly required to succeed, really in any field.

Mind you, I am not as good a practitioner of this as I should be.  I am often inherently lazy.  I do not like to practice - or even when I do, it so often feels like I am going through the motions rather than actually drilling (I long ago surrendered the idea that the improvement happens per se in practice.  Practice makes the breakthroughs possible but it is just as much about embedding technique and facts in your muscles and mind for later use).

But that too, I suppose, is part of following the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!