Monday, August 17, 2020

Working From Afar: An Update

All - As you may have guessed from my post on Wednesday, last week I spent from The Ranch.

I did not announce to my work that I was going (other than I had clearance from my manager to do so) as I wanted to give it a test run and demonstrate to them that this was a thing that could be done without any interruption in my ability to work or do my job.

How did it go?  Great!  There was absolutely no interruption of service.  I responded to e-mails.  I was on teleconference calls.  I even took calls on my cell phone (turns out you can do that if you set your phone to WiFi).  I will check with my manager to see if he noticed any difference in my performance.  If not, I think the point is made.

(Also found out this week a coworker in my new department is leaving, so my value goes up a bit.  This is also a helpful development.

It is really not all that inconvenient of a schedule either.  I essentially go to bed and get up and the same time as when I do at home to keep my work schedule.  It leaves me a little more time after work with sunlight - hopefully over time, this can become time to invest in some kind of project.

So Step One:  Done.  September Trip is already scheduled.

Here we go.


10 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:14 AM

    Congratulations on your effort to prove that off site does not diminish your work. I wish I had the same result, but the lack of hands on materials and advice from my coworkers affected my performance. All of us who worked from home (CAD draftsman / architects) had the same result - we rated it about 80% - 85%. If we had been under a 'crunch' schedule, we probably would not have made the deadline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anonymous! I am fortunate in that my new job function does not require me to be onsite to accomplish my tasks - I am currently more of an aggregator of the work of others and ensuring that the work gets done. At the moment, my current understanding of any additional benefits of being onsite would be personal contact - which I do not discount, but we have used individuals in similar roles to mine without them ever coming onsite.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Awesome, TB. Is the family with you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually Glen, it was just me. Most likely will only be me, at least until vacations happen. The Ravishing Mrs. TB may come out at least once if her work will allow it.

      Delete
  3. It is nice to hear good news. I'm glad things are looking UP^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you StxAR. I was not really expecting any issues, but it is nice to have the fact established.

      Delete
  4. So the move to better self-sufficiency could start beginning now.
    If you wanted to start moving, say, books you'd like to keep but don't need right now, would you have a place to store them?

    Just something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, interestingly I was beginning to think along the same lines as well. There is certainly space short term.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad to hear it worked out well! Sounds like the ideal work situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, it really is. Now I just need to figure out the next step.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!