Saturday, August 08, 2020

Reaping And Planting


Yesterday, as  a matter of course I finished out another batch of yogurt.  It did not really strike me as a significant event at all - except for the fact that this was the second round of propagating yogurt.  A certain level of independence has been achieved.

This week I started in on my cheese that I had made in June.  It has some mold issues so I have had to remove larger parts of the rind and outside portion than I might like, but it was the second cheese that I made using my cheese press.  Guess what?  It actually tastes like real cheese (instead of everything tasting like a fresh cheese that sat a while.

I also made hooks this weekend.  Nothing fancy (my technique needs plenty of work), but something that actually could be useful in some kind of circumstances.

None of these I would consider to be particularly large victories by any stretch of the imagination.  A batch of yogurt only lasts about a week around here; the cheese only slightly longer once opened.  The hooks may or may not get used for things.  But the important thing is that they were done - and having been done (as demonstrated with the yogurt), they can be done again - better perhaps, and with a bit more finesse (and less mold).

Sometimes , as Stevenson says, the seeds planted are far more important than the harvest reaped.

12 comments:

  1. Independence is a heady thing. My first reloads were withing 52 fps at nearly 3000 fps. They held 1.5 inches at 100 yards. Not quite MOA. I got an attaboy from a long time reloader that day.

    yeah, Independence is a necessity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baby steps.
    Every journey starts with the first steps. Congratulations and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm. If your work at the forge produces things that you use to hang up stuff with, and produces things that you can cut with, then it is golf forging.
    Wait for it.

    Yep, hooking and slicing!

    Few pleasures are as satisfying as those found when using your skills to make useful things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh Heh. Pretty good John!

      Yes, nothing better than making things that are useful.

      Delete
  4. I admire people who can make cheese. I don’t eat much of it however. About the only cheese I eat regularly is a kraft American single on a burger. I’m probably going to cheese hell for that comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't forget Kraft American cheese in a cheese sandwich.

      Delete
    2. Ed, in certain corners of the InterWeb you would be met with scorn. Here, I can admit Kraft singles being the easiest to make cheeseburgers with as you note.

      Cheese Hell, in case you were wondering, is Velveeta.

      Delete
    3. Indeed Linda! I had many growing up.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!