Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Pride And Deadlifts

As I think I mentioned here in the past, I train via weight lifting three days a week.  I have done so since 2015, initially starting on my own but converting over (after a pretty short period of time) to my coach, who for writing purposes we will call The Punisher both for his workouts and the delight he takes in them.

Overall I have been very happy with working out with weights. It appeals to my lack of enjoyment in team sports as it can be done on an individual basis and, if one finds the right gym (or has a home gym) one can work out when it is convenient - for me, in the evenings.  It is a relatively short activity span of 30-40 minutes which has made a positive impact in my life.

I do not suffer from a drive to become "strong".  I am realistic in that in my mid-50's I need these body to last another 30+ years, especially things like my knees and back.  Thus, while I strive to improve, I do not attempt to do things exceedingly out of my class - my biggest deadlift single ever was 315 lbs (142 kg) and I sincerely doubt I will ever exceed that.

That said, being "stronger" has numerous benefits.  Plenty of studies show retaining lean muscle mass does all kinds of good things for aging.  It also helps with my Iaijutsu as well as just in life (being able to lift things is a handy skill to have). 

It is all good - except when I allow my ego to get in the way.  And thus, the story.

I work out, as indicated, in the evenings (Monday, Wednesday, Friday) except when I get "lazy" on Fridays and then I go in on Saturdays.  Friday is Deadlift Day, where one pulls the barbell from the floor, back straight, to a standing position.  I have struggled for many years with my form and the only way I know to manage it is to change my position so that I do not directly face the mirror in front of the lifting area but that I can see myself from the side.  It looks dorky and no-one else ever does it, but it does make my form better as I have instant feedback.

As I said, sometimes I go in on Saturdays.  And Saturdays are when the weight coaches at my gym are there.  There is no interference of course - they are training their clients and I am doing my own thing - but always in the back of my head I think that they are watching me, judging me (you know, professional ethic and all that and "What is that idiot think he is doing?").  Nothing is every said, but it is as if I feel their eyes on me.

So on Saturday, I deadlift.  For one moment at the beginning, I think "I need to change my position so I can see myself in the mirror" - then think to myself "that will look stupid" and carry on with the lift.  You guessed it - my back was not correctly flattened, and my muscles had some things to say to me.

The physical pain is there, of course - I have managed through this before, and am at least smart enough to not compound the problem.  Rest, hot showers, stretching - I will be fine.  The real injury that I am trying to understand is the pride that drove me to this in the first place.

I never interact with these people - heck, if I did not go in on Saturdays I would never see them.  So why does seeing them suddenly cause me to have to feel that I have to look more "professional" or skilled?  Am I really that vain?  Or is it that, somewhere deep inside, the part of me that always craved the notice of those I thought experts or "cool" never really went away?

Well, it has to, of course.  I am certainly old enough now that the likelihood that one of these individuals is going to suddenly see me as "the unrealized talent" is far past.

And, of course, my back will think the better of me.

10 comments:

  1. There is REAL freedom in not caring what people think. I am finally coming to terms with that. My strongest trait is agreeableness. Witness my poor negotiation skills. But seeing the problem (is my back straight? How can I see like this?) is half the way to correcting the problem. Who knows, they may learn something from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR, I think there is freedom in not caring as well, but it is a very difficult thing for me to embrace. I tend to want people to like me.

      Delete
  2. I'm fairly certain the last time I dead lifted was during my teen years when I spent all summer throwing hay bales from the wagon up onto the stack beside it in the barn. My father was cooperative and as I got bigger and stronger, he gradually increased the size and density of the bales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, sounds fairly kind of your father to offer to build up your strength like that...

      Delete
  3. Glad you will heal soon.
    All I could think was "Pride goeth before a fall"

    God bless, TB. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not a bad comparison Linda. There is a certain amount of pride in thinking you need to do something to impress others instead of correctly.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous6:12 AM

    I'm about your age and understand the want to stay in shape. In my case, its part vanity but its also a health concern. Born with a bad heart valve, I've already had it replaced and was told with reasonable exercise, a healthy diet, blood thinners (mechanical valve) and and exercise, I should live a long productive life.

    I used to go to gym, but COVID concerns put the brakes on that. We have a cattle pasture requiring work so that is my main work outs now. Yesterday, it was loppers and pulling / lifting branches to brush pile. I sweat up a storm and two - two and a half hours is my limit.

    I've never dead lifted in a weight room, but I royally screwed up my right high (sciatica) lifting a heavy lawnmower by myself into the truck bed. My mistake was not just lifting but twisting to put it into bed - oy !!

    Take your time, set yourself up before lifting the weight and don't create problems where none existed before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous - Yes, I want to have a long and productive life as well - overall I have been blessed with good health and would like to extend that as long as possible.

      Sorry about your sciatica - I will not be crazy enough to say I have never been foolish enough to do that myself. Ugh, twisting with the heavy item!

      It is good advice, and I just need to do it right - helpfully, doing it at night when I have no internal pressure to do otherwise.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I was a runner and marathoner for many years, until at the age of 60, orthopedic issues put an end to my running. At a follow up appointment, I asked my surgeon when I could start back into running, and he said "I just don't think it's in your best interest." That was a very hard thing for me to hear.
    And then I discovered coach Mark Rippetoe, his book and program Starting Strength. For those of us of a certain age, the other essential book I cannot recommend too highly is Dr. Jonathon Sullivan's: The Barbell Prescription, subtitled: Strength Training for Life After 40. In a couple of years of lifting weights, I have completely rehabbed my orthopedic issues, and my back is stronger now than it ever has been.
    As you have learned, it is not for us to be chasing numbers, but to maintain and improve muscle mass, with the goal of being as healthy and strong as we can be whatever our age.
    These two books have changed my life, and learning proper form for squats and deadlifts have been essential parts of that process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Greg! Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

      I used to run but honestly, I have just lost interest (and my knees thank me) so I have been walking more. I started lifting about 5 years ago. My coach keeps me on the straight and narrow- when I listen to him as I should.

      I very much appreciate the recommendations and will look at them.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!