Sunday, August 02, 2020

The Great Day Of Failure 2020

If you have read here for a bit, you know that (as any good independent principality), we here at The FortyFive have our own pantheon of holidays which we celebrate, days that are as meaningful (or more) as any of the national holidays that appear on lesser, "other" calendars.

Today is August 2nd, or  Failure Day - hereafter known as The Great Day of Failure (sounds more majestic, does it not?).

The Great Day of Failure commemorates the day in 2005  when The Firm, the real estate company that I and a friend had founded, was dissolved due to the fact that we were not at all successful financially and needed to do something else.

If you have never failed a business, or had the exquisite pleasure of realizing that your financial decisions have put you and your family at significant risk and that if you are extremely lucky, you can find a position in an industry you swore you would never go back to - well, I will not tell you that you have not lived, but I will say that you have spared yourself a very peculiar type of humiliation.

So once a year, I celebrate not only this failure, but all the failures of the past year  - not because of the failures themselves per se, but because in many cases failures in fact represent the willingness to try something different and new and it did not go as well as intended.

This year, of course, we celebrate my failure in my work position which led me to a whole new side of my industry and, from what I can see right now, ultimately a very different way of life.  We also have at least one yogurt failure, two cheese failures, a rather lackluster response to my lawn restoration attempts, my (in process but most likely) continued attempt to try to grow corn and most beans when really I should be growing black eyed peas and sweet potatoes, my on-line attempt to do Italian, and (through no fault of our own) our failure to go to Italy due to The Plague of 2020.

For me, this has become a helpful exercise in looking back over the past year, realizing that failures do happen, and rather than letting them collect all through the year and become something I gnaw over in my mind time and again, just let everything come together on one day, look at it, catalog it away, and then move on for the following year.

So Happy Great Day of Failure, friends.  May your failures be massive but not harmful, and may the failure in everything new you tried be a badge of honor for you as you enter the next year.

Trust me, there are plenty of new ways to fail.

10 comments:

  1. Real estate is a darn tough row to hoe, TB. And men like us can be our own worst enemies and harshest critics if we are not careful...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is true Glen - and in retrospect I should not have done it (or at least have asked a great deal more questions).

      And we can be our own worst critics - thus The Great Day of Failure, where once a year I can "get it all out" and then move on with my life.

      Delete
  2. Every failure has taught me a valuable lesson, and the size of the failure is very proportional to the lesson learned.

    I still try new things because I want to grow as a person and with growth there is risk.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True enough John. No growth without failure.

      Delete
  3. What an exquisite concept. It would be a day with chocolate cream pie and ice cream for me. I always look forward to eating a bit of that.

    I'm penciling in the date. Thanks for this. I really mean it, THANK YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  4. STxAR, you are very welcome. It have certainly given me the ability to fail, review the failures, and then move on in an organized fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been trying to teach my oldest how to fail. She still thinks I am perfect and I keep assuring her that I am how I am because I have previously failed and learned from that failure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I worry for the younger generation, especially those that have always received something for participation. Learning to fail is hard; learning to fail when you have never been allowed to must be harder.

      Delete
  6. I think this is a great idea. I will pick a different day, in honor of my greatest failure (bankruptcy), and all the things I have survived in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1LLoyd, I originally did it as a defensive mechanism to cope with the magnitude of my failure. Now, I treasure the day.

      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!