Thursday, June 18, 2020

A Sort of Hammerfall: The End Is Nigh

My Continuing Job Transition Saga:

A Sort of Hammerfall

A Sort of Hammerfall I

A Sort of Hammerfall II

A Sort of Hammerfall III

A Sort of Hammerfall IV

A Sort of Hammerfall V

A Sort of Hammerfall VI

A Sort of Hammerfall VII


So the saga seems almost to a close.  I have spoken with my new manager and with my replacements.  As of the end of this month, I will no longer be employed in the specialty of my career field. the one I have been employed in for the last 18.6 years.

In a way, it is a relief:  it will be almost four months to the day when I was informed that I would be replaced and the intervening period has really just been a place holding and rearguard exercise until the new person showed up.  Not surprisingly, they are ready to take over and be off in their new position.  Not surprisingly, I am also ready to be off and onto the next chapter of my life.

Strangely enough, I find myself a bit depressed about the whole thing.

Since my replacement's arrival, my involvement in my area of work has been declining:  Less e-mails, less meetings, less questions asked of me.  This is all understandable of course:  there is a new regime and people need to look in that direction.  But when you have been in the rising tide and fray for years and suddenly everything drops off, there is a gap.that is present, a gap of time and attention.  Suddenly, you find yourself in the eddy of the river, not in the current, slowly circling against the current.

So I will continue my transition out this week and into next week, shedding meetings and organizing e-mails in case I have to remember something from the past.  And waiting, patiently waiting, for the new world to arrive.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:33 AM

    Praying for you during this transition. I hope the extra time allows you to pursue some of those activities you had previously longed to be able to spend more time on. And hopefully, you'll see a marked increase in your health as less stress and happiness eventually fill the void of what had become a somewhat frustrating job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anonymous, I appreciate it. To be totally honest with you, I am finding myself in more of a funk than I anticipated. Not sure if this is just part of the process of essentially grieving a career that ended not of my own choosing or the sudden snap that comes when you are no longer in the energetic maelstrom of the present. Either way, I am now past ready for this to be over.

      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. It seems to me that change always brings with it some regrets or second thoughts, even when we deem the change good and desirable. There's always some apprehension thrown in as well, until the next step settles into a routine. All in all, I'd say you've handled the hammerfall extremely well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leigh. I have to tell you that I am struggling through this last week. Part of it is the relative unknown of what is next, part of it is the sort of thing which (I think) comes with any career or job change. Hopefully taking a week off will allow me to clear my head and start off down the right track again.

      On the bright side, I feel like I can perhaps begin to plan things again for the first time in a very long time.

      Delete
  3. It's a bit like PTSD. I'm glad you weren't depressed before now.
    Spend more time doing what you want until they get their act together.

    Be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. Five more days to go. We are going to make it.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!