Monday, June 22, 2020

Cleaning Up

I had a short run through my old items on The Book of Face.

This was really prompted by a comment from Glen, something that I originally just let sit at the back of my mind but slowly worked its way to the front:  what was on there, and more importantly, what was there that could possibly become something that was an "item of interest" for some later on?  Of course, once that thought is there, there is nothing for it but to go back and look at everything.

So I quickly scanned my pictures.  Pretty much as I had thought and remembered, there is really nothing even remotely controversial there:  pictures of family, pictures of trips, pictures of my throwing and doing Iai, memes trying to inspire others.  Nothing in the least bit controversial.

Next, I looked at the other things.  I did have "notes", things that (back in the day) I had posted which were sort of "all about me" lists.  Interesting and - again - nothing particularly controversial, but I am now I am starting to view anything connected with my name as something which is potentially at risk.  So down those came.  

Going forward, of course, even less is going to show up there.  Pictures of family for birthdays and celebratory days, perhaps.  Perhaps pictures if I travel again (mostly to share with family).   But really nothing more than that any more.  

In The New Normal, exposing any information - not just opinions any more, but even likes and dislikes - leave one potentially exposed.  Better to become even more grey, even less publicly visible.  

At the rate that we are going, there will be very little that anyone is willing to discuss about themselves with people that are not extremely well vetted and well known.  Given the potential for having your life ruined for a misinterpretation, who would want to?

6 comments:

  1. Glenfilthie6:42 AM

    Good man. You can go grey, or disappear as I did. If you disappear... I learned that can raise questions too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Glen. I think for now the better move is to go grey. If questions come up, I can just state (with honesty) that there are other things going on in my life now and I do not have enough time to attend to such things. After that - really starting now - I am whittling down my presence on The Book of Face to where I am "there", but not active. Less questions about where one went with that approach.

      Delete
  2. What a sad state of affairs our world has come to, but I agree with your thoughts and actions. It just doesn't seem like things are going to get better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Leigh. And it does not seem to be getting the least bit better. I suspect that over time, people are going to be a lot less open to sharing anything out publicly on the InterWeb.

      Delete
  3. Again; I've never gotten Faceplant. I've never understood why anyone would want to go public with their private. Ditch Faceplant, Twatter, and the like. If you're not "out there," they've go nothing on you. These days, with banks and potential employers wanting to access your account to "check you out," this is not the rant of a paranoid old man. This is "the new normal" of common sense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete, originally The Book of Face was a nice way to connect with family and friends, especially those you had not seen for a while - or years. Then, many different interest organizations moved there and it became a de facto communication tool, replacing club and organization web sites (it really is more easy). It is only since the world seems to have changed and The Book of Face has taken to choosing sides that it seems it has become, effectively, dangerous.

      So yes, this is the new normal of common sense. Sadly, a great many people will end up the sadder for it.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!