Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Social-Less Media: An Update

I thought as a public service I might update those of you who do not use Social Media in general on the current state of it - or least my interpretations thereof.

As you may recall, back in May I decided I was going to take a hiatus from Social Media.  It had become rather toxic and instead of bringing a sense of joy into my life, brought nothing but aggravation and sorrow.  I followed through with this plan, only rejoining The Book of Face on a daily basis to track the travels of The Ravishing Mrs. TB and Na Clann  as they took a week off.

As I checked in for exotic pictures of lands states far removed from where I was, I found that I still had people that opined or were combative.  The Book of Face has this interesting feature called "unfollow", wherein one can simply not see an individual's post with fully cutting all ties.  I started to use this function frequently.  My "feed" became less combative.  In theory, my stress level declined.

But I also found that many people that were neither combative nor opined frequently had also stopped using The Book of Face.  They, too, were turned away by the constant war of words that they saw and simply stopped interactions.

Instaphoto,  I thought, would be better - how bad would pictures and memes be?  I was wrong.  I dissolved my account entirely, and then dissolved my Linked Out account as well on the basis that given the current environment, removing all opportunities to inadvertently fail was better than whatever potential benefit just hanging my shingle in Cyberspace might bring.

But The Book of Face remained.  I checked the pictures every day.  The comments dwindled to pictures of cats and rabbits and postings on old role playing games or occasional pictures of people leading their lives instead of warring with words.  It had become a wasteland of sorts, driving through an electronic desert with the occasional advertising sign, slightly faded from the weather and sun as a boredom breaker.

As a result, after this weekend I returned to the occasional viewer status.  Yes, I will continue to post for things like Father's Day and Mother's Day and birthdays because I love my family. If I go somewhere, I may post pictures of that as well (here too, of course).  But the daily checking of The Book of Face has now become a thing of the past.

Bad news for The Book of Face.  If enough people decide they no longer find value there, the platform loses its value as a connecting of peoples and interests and reverts only to a sort of personal news site which, while perhaps interesting to family and friends, is hardly the sort of revenue generating giant you need with a free content base.

In the end, Social Media may end up crushing itself or creating a giant echo chamber which is of no interest to no one.  Which, if one looks back upon the history of it, may serve as the highest form of irony:  That which was meant to connect people drove them apart.


12 comments:

  1. My daughter pointed out that the younger crowd has opted for different, more hip, social media outlets and view FB as being for old fogies. lol. Censorship is another problem that has pushed people away, not only from FB but the other major social marketing venues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, that is true in my experience as well: anyone under the age of, say 30 originally got a Book of Face account because it was "cool" but suddenly realized being somewhere that your elders were was in fact not cool. Both older children have accounts, but really only post travel pictures as The Ravishing Mrs. TB likes to see them (as do our parents).

      The Book of Face has a little reprieve as so many social organizations have converted over to it as a communication tool, but long term I predict their numbers will drop. Censorship of ideas will not help, nor will effectively being forced fed ideas.

      My suspicion? The Book of Face will devolve into a more pro-liberal platform as other pro-conservative platorms come to the fore. Essentially, we will be right back to where we were.

      Delete
  2. Glenfilthie7:23 AM

    Is it the platform, TB? Or just people being people?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glen, I think it is both. People have gotten much more willing to "ignore" people (Good Heavens, even I am doing it now) than they used to be. That is because people are becoming more and more in your face about their opinions - and also because people are afraid (rightfully so) of being "canceled" based on a single out of context quote which is broadcast.

      But the platform is not helping either. It has chosen a side as well - and as soon as you choose a side, you eventually lose the other side. As noted in my comment above, this plus a changing demographic will eventually hurt them in the revenue stream.

      Delete
    2. Can you close a bookface account, TB? I got rid of mine over ten years ago and it was like pulling teeth. If I had one today I'd scrub it or scrap it. When people are dredging up something you said 10 years ago... and using it to destroy you, it just isn't worth it...

      Delete
    3. Glen, I am not sure what it takes at this point. I will check, but I think I have never posted anything remotely controversial on there for that very reason (but good point, I should probably check). In terms of getting rid of it entirely, it is probably just as easy at this point to completely ignore the account and let it sit idle after cleaning up - after all, it would be drawing unwanted attention to one's self by trying to get rid of it...

      Delete
  3. I'm intensely private. Not sure why, I just am. When I was minding a flock of teenangsters at church, I opened a myspace account to keep aprised.

    that migrated to facebook. Then, the cajoling to post started... And I faded into the hedge. I posted a couple things, but those things are used for MY convenience, not anyone else's. That's why my phone was rarely answered. If it was important, they would call back. It was installed for my use, not to demand my time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR - I am like that to. I scarcely answer the phone if I do not recognize the phone number. And anymore, privacy is not just a good idea, it is a rapidly disappearing privilege. Important to cling to every shred one can.

      Delete
  4. "Social" media... I still don't get it; put your whole life out there for everyone to see. Put your opinions out there, worldwide, so that they can and will be used against you when applying for a job, getting a security clearance, or for just plain old fashioned blackmail. Nope; "social" media was done before it ever really started for me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete, I will say that for families that are apart - mine, for example - or for interest groups that are dispersed - say, Highland Athletics or Iaijutsu - social media can be a powerful tool to make connections and keep people information. It is when we go beyond those simple acts that it becomes problematic.

      Delete
  5. The libs and demonrats, will probably keep faceless book alive whether we can see their posts or not.

    I sometimes go days without checking. Usually I'm good; but then sometimes not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, ultimately it will neither be political beliefs of either side nor preferences that keep The Book of Face alive; it will be revenue. Offending any portion of your revenue base is generally not a good idea unless you are an indispensable good or service. The Book of Face is convincing many right now that is is, in fact, dispensable. Advertisers, especially in this rocky environment, will not want to waste their dollars where they are not rewarded.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!