Tuesday, May 12, 2020

A Sort of Hammerfall: Update V

My Continuing Job Transition Saga:

A Sort of Hammerfall

A Sort of Hammerfall I

A Sort of Hammerfall II

A Sort of Hammerfall III

A Sort of Hammerfall IV

We are now into Week 11 of Post-Hammefall.  In theory, at least, my replacement would be here and I would be transitioning out (also, in theory, to my vacation in Italy which also does not seem to be happening now).

In point of fact, we seem to be in limbo.

Two candidates were interviewed.  If I could characterize the interviews, I think they would be found to be typical of this situation:  a younger, "hungry" builder with less experience and an older, "experienced" veteran who comes suggested from above.  I had thought, after discussion, that the decision would have been made, and would have been an easy one.

I, apparently, was wrong.

In the meantime, we continue much as before:  I theoretically act in place of my job description (which is not my real job title), managing things in a holding pattern until the new management show up.  In a way, it is becoming a bit of a concern:  we are starting to put initiatives on hold pending the arrival of the new "person", which means at some point these things are not moving forward the way they probably should be.  It is unfortunate, but it seems to be the only thing to do in this situation, given the fact that this has been the suggested strategy from above my pay grade.

In discussing this with The Ravishing Mrs. TB yesterday afternoon, she asked if I was checking in with HR about the progress on this.  I am - softly - checking for updates but as I pointed out to her, not in a very visible manner.  Currently my pay remains in place. I worry that if I actually make them think about it - especially given the current environment - they may begin to ask questions that I do not like the answers to.  Better to quietly go about one's business and hope that they forget you are there - if for no other reason, to delay the inevitable.

6 comments:

  1. I would have thought they'd have chosen someone before they even mentioned it to you. But then, the bigger the machine, the less efficiently it operates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, this seems to be an ever evolving situation - or one that was not fully thought out. Now it turns out not only am I transitioning out, but that the entire department will have a different reporting structure. This was also not previously mentioned.

      Delete
  2. And try not to beat yourself up over it.
    You can only do what you can do. *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. Trying to keep a stiff upper lip and all. Mostly I am just ready to move on.

      Delete
  3. Could it be they are in a pickle, TB?

    I can imagine that right now, nobody is breathing easy, everyone is under the microscope... and if it was me that was YOUR boss, I'd be having grave misgivings about bringing on a new employee right now... my experience is that regardless of the outcome, it's always a relief when these things resolve themselves...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glen, there are wheels within wheels here that I am not fully aware off. What does seem apparent is that the impact of whatever happened have transitioned beyond even my replacement (see above; my boss will not be the new person's boss). The update is that they are making an offer; we will see how soon everything moves.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!