Friday, May 08, 2020

Not Coming Back

I find myself wistfully watching an Old World blowing away with the cold front that blows the oak trees across my lawn.

I know the arguments, of course:  this is only a temporary situation, we will be up and running before you know it, we can do it, etc.  And at least superficially I would agree that these are likely to happen:  eventually things will reopen, businesses will have people in them, traffic will be on the road.

But it will be different.

Crowded spaces will - at least to me - no longer reflect people out or having a good time but possible vectors of infection.  Spending money will now always - always - have to measured against the very real possibility that more than ever, it may be needed for somewhere else. Our entertainment - shopping, sporting events, restaurants, movies - will now always potentially be at the risk of your life.  Tourism, that life blood of so many economies and communities, will be curtailed at best and far less far reaching - at most, air travel will be the rare treat that it used to be, not the common mode of transport it has become.  We will reflect on the great places we have been or the places we would like to go, knowing in heart of hearts that we will likely not longer get there.

And hanging over all of this will be the specter of another shutdown, out of the blue, that can destroy your economy and your life again. 

This is a significant change to me - as significant as the changes to air travel after 9/11.  We went from happily greeting travelers as they came off the plane to standing at the bottom of escalators or in dingy lobbies waiting for our travelers to arrive - or just meeting them quickly on the side of the arrival drop off for a quick hug and throwing luggage in the back to the honk of other motorists. 

Something has changed, at least for me - something I cannot fully define in a way that makes sense to describe to anyone, and something I can scarcely write about coherently.  It is not precisely a depression or a sense that The End has come.  An end, perhaps.  More a sense that an era is passing away before our eyes and for most, they will only realize it when it is truly in the rear view mirror of their lives.

It is not a loss of hope, at least not yet.  Perhaps it is a quiet acceptance that things really are going to be different, no matter how much "the same" that they will seem - or that we will be told that they are.  Perhaps a sadness that a new generation will grow up not knowing the world which we have known for 20 to 70 years (depending on how one considers such things).

The wind continues to blow, thrashing the trees.  It is not the season for the leaves to fall though; they remain attached to the branches they emerged from only two months ago.  It is not their time.

Perhaps we are simply the leaves that are too stubborn to let go, clinging to the tree beyond our time until we, too, are cast to the wind.

10 comments:

  1. Glenfilthie7:20 AM

    Hmmmmm.

    I don’t travel by air anymore, and since I acquired my faith... it seems to have displaced my materialism and consumerist programming. I find myself watching people on YouTube that live in Tiny Houses. My favourite is this kid that lives in a minivan in the winter and a tent in the summer. He lives to hike, bike and summit mountains. They’ve checked out of the rat race and have found or made a place for themselves outside of all this. For me nothing has changed; I have been slowly moving that way, doing more with less and seeking kinship with others trying to do the same.

    I also think that when the real bills for this little panic come due... people are going to be livid and will be looking for perps to hang for it. I don’t think you’ll see a repeat of this stupidity any time soon... but whadda I know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glen, I have to admit that air travel has become less and less of a thing with me as I go. I try to avoid traveling for business at all and other than going Home, will probably only fly to Japan to train (if I am able). And like you, my "need" for things is falling away faster.

      I am not at the stage I could live in a Tent - I like to think so of course, but not with all my books! - but definitely think about downsizing more and more. Like you as well, I am slowly transitioning to the same sort of life style. It is just happening more quickly now.

      I would probably call you prescient. You cannot effectively crash the world economy and not have anyone to blame. And yes, I think folks will think twice before trying this again.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for putting into words thoughts I still cannot fully articulate to myself. I'm trying to focus on positive things, but I am afraid we are in a nosedive. However, I spoke with my financial advisor the other day, and he pointed out several improving indicators, so maybe there is hope?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sbrgirl - You are very welcome.

      There is always hope. There is certainly new ways of doing things that will be developed. One good thing I can think of is the amount of people I see out in the evenings walking or running or riding bikes. Before, they were all busy post working.

      The things that make me sad are the intangibles. Food will most likely reappear on the shelves, hair will be cut, churches will be filled. But always, at the back of our minds, we will be questioning those we see around us: Are you the one? Are you the one that will kill me with an unknown virus?

      The other thing that makes me sad is that a lot of jobs and work relationships and businesses have been destroyed and are never coming back.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. My mom is one of those people who are perfectly OK with the demise of American freedom, saying "Whatever it takes to beat this virus." I told her that for her, it was OK. She's 80 years old. All her life she's enjoyed freedoms that have just been taken from us, and that people who come after us will never know. Funny; when she and my dad got married, the world was in the middle of an H2N2 pandemic that caused 116K deaths in the United States. I read nowhere about the complete shutdown of the country, and d'gub'meyent doing "whatever it took" to control the virus...

    ...This has nothing to do with a virus... The virus is a means to an end...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete, it saddens me. I suppose I can understand it- an unknown, unseen foe can be a terrible thing - but the thing that few realize is once that bar has been reached and breached, it will be again - For any number of reasons.

      Delete
  4. Sadness for what we have lost, definitely.
    God bless and watch over us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too Linda. Only time will show how much.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you Leigh. Sadly, I am becoming less hopeful about everything day by day.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!