Saturday, May 02, 2020

Sitting And Changing Clothes

We are entering week 6 of Plague Lockdown here.  In one sense it is hard to believe it has been that long because the new rhythm of being here almost 24 hours a day has gone on long enough to take hold; in the other it is very hard to believe that 8 weeks ago my employer would have even contemplated sending most of home to work remotely for 6 weeks - after all, work is only done from the plant, correct?

One of the great discoveries that I have made during this period is simply time, and how I am spending it - in other words, my time bank is probably more full than it has ever been in that I am here 24 hours a day.  I am not losing time to commuting or having to run errands or driving in between activities.  The same could be said for a great many other things in my life - my eating habits, or my exercise habits.  I have nothing but time and attention to manage them.

Overall, I have to make some improvements.

During my first counseling session, we talked about my work a great deal.  What came out of that discussion is that I need to find a way to clearly separate when I am done with work - something that I struggle with all the more working "from home", when the computer is on and literally a heartbeat away from my fingertips.  And this is one thing that has been pointed out to me by The Ravishing Mrs. TB:  I do tend to carry my work around all the time, not just when I am at work.

So my Friend (sounds less threatening than counselor, right?) had two simple suggestions for me:  The first is that when I done with work, just sit for a minute.  The second is to change into non-work attire as soon as I am done with that.

The thought (I think) is to clearly draw the line between when I am work and when I am not.  The sitting is to draw the mental line, the change of clothes is to remove the uniform of work.

(The third - next step - is to monitor how many hours I am spending on work).

I tried it - and like any other habit, it is harder than one thinks to break.  There is always something that grabs your attention right at the end of the day or something that needs to get out.  So I will have to continue to try it.

But the underlying point - that I have to reach the stage where there is a clear distinction between me as worker and me as individual - is well taken. And something I need to achieve - because at some point, this company will disappear into the rear view mirror of life as well.  I need have a greater definition of self by then.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with that, TB. Hubby and I both know how hard that is.

    God bless you all. 🐰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. Like most things, I am sure I will find a way.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes home follows me to work... stuck to the bottom of my shoe. It is usually more obvious when a feather is also stuck along with it. But I understand bringing work home with you. I try not to unload the days' tales on the family when I get home (they let me know!) but they may hear the 'you won't believe this...' The 40 minute drive does assist in decompressing along but so does just being a worker and not a manager.

    But now it is way nicer to come home cause the critters don't care if I don't have a cloth face mask and don't 'social distance'. If I did, they would be quite disturbed or think that I've gone nutter on them.

    Enjoy the time for you and your family.
    ~hobo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hobo, you do bring up a good point. In the past, I have had 40 minutes to an hour to decompress from work. I maybe have 20 minutes now.

      The position matters too. If I was just (as my counselor suggested) working only an eight hour day and then done is done, then that might make a difference.

      The rabbits, as well, do not care - in fact, they seem rather bent out of shape if I do social distance.

      Hope all is well for you as well!

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!