Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Staying In Versus Going Out

I was having a discussion with a friend the other day about the world in The Midst of The Plague and made the comment that I truly felt like I had little interest in venturing out much at all, even after this is all "over" (whatever that ends up really meaning).

She pressed me a little on it, especially on the question of things like vacations.  My response was not really all that different:  even if we get back "to traveling", I do not know how likely I am to want to do that either.

Is it concern about The Plague?  Possibly, although really more a commentary on the general state of physical health.:  people are on the whole a sort of bacterial factory waiting to happen.  Just because The Plague is reduced does not mean that those more mundane diseases, from the flu to Hepatitis, are not out there waiting to find us.  People were not really good about that before; it is not likely that they will be better about it now.

That general concern extends to almost everywhere people are:  movies, sporting events, and concerts (not that I really went to many of these anyway) become even less appealing (imagine the joy at a sporting event of being the one person, at the moment of silence during The Star Spangled Banner, that breaks into a cough).  Stores, which may have things I actually want, have the questionable benefit of having people's hands all over the items I am looking at. Restaurants run the same risk, (food handling - I try not to think of it too often, but yeah, there is that). 

In other words I pretty much just want to stay here.

But I am caught in the mental trap of knowing that in point of fact, those things do need to happen.  People need to be out at entertainment venues and stores and restaurants or else the economy does not truly restart:  Like it or not, we are a service economy:  if we are not buying and selling things, the economy will not expand.  Millions will remain without jobs.

So I find myself caught in the trap of seeing everything from both sides, the personal concern and the financial concern (the worst place to be, by the way). 

Maybe there is a paradigm shift I am missing here - maybe somehow, somewhere, bright people are figuring out ways to meaningfully get people out there and buying while protecting health.  Disruptions can produce great advances.

....That said, I am still probably staying inside....

6 comments:

  1. We can't live under rocks, TB. People are social. That's just the way it is. I've never been a party animal, but I know some people are. They should have the FREEDOM to party. I've never been big into sports, but I know MANY who are. They should have the FREEDOM to to go watch their teams play. I've been to a few baseball games. It IS more fun being at the stadium than watching on TV. The same goes for concerts. I DO go to church. I sing in the choir. I DEMAND the FREEDOM to go to church!

    It's not about whether we want to go out or not, TB; it's about having the FREEDOM to make that choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair point Pete. And I do not know that I am specifically arguing about Freedom to so (but perhaps I am, in which case a misguided argument). The struggle for me is really more personal I suppose: do I really want to, knowing what I know now (people's hygiene, on the whole, will not improve in the long term on this I suspect)?

      Delete
  2. I have never liked large crowds of people because I find the collective energy to be too overwhelming for me. If you are a sensitive person then you do have to take care of your sensitivities. Staying in your own space is therefore what you must do to preserve this, not because you might catch a virus, but because this is what you need to do to preserve calmness and peace. You live for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good point as well Vera, and one that we were walking through the other day. I can be an extrovert - rather good at it too - but in point of fact it is an incredible drain over time. And I have been doing it directly for over three years. I do not have much left in the bank to give. I need a recharge - a long one, I think. This unexpected change may help that.

      Delete
  3. You said it. The diseases and viruses have always been there. You get them or you don't.
    I want to go to a restaurant, sit down, be waited on, and pay them to clean up after me.

    And I want to be rid of big brother as much as possible.

    Once we have a house and I can so again.

    Be safe and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I would hope this creates a larger discussion about transmissible diseases in general. Because truly, this is no different than the flu or TB in terms of how it spreads and the population.

      The restaurant, for now, at least means we do not cook (cleaning up is still on us though).

      And yes, I can certainly imagine you are ready for a house again.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!