Friday, April 08, 2011

A Short Program Break

Last morning of being "Captain Dad" as The Ravishing Mrs. TB and Nighean Gheal return from their three day/two night field trip this afternoon.

It's been an interesting experience.

One of the interesting parts that surprised me is how a schedule change works. Suddenly I am out the door at 0730 to make sure everyone arrives at school on time. Work is no longer bounded by a long period of time: I have to leave by 2:30, so everything is packed in that period. No-one questions, no management gives the glowering eye of "You should be here longer."

At home, there is a lot more direction: Is your homework done? Do you have anything else to do? Life becomes a series of simple tasks which need to be performed and verified. Then, at the end, there's a brief period of time called "Yours" before it starts over.

But it also has allowed me to spend more time with Na Clann, which has turned out to be a wonderful thing. The reality is (and I don't know how to fix it) that work takes 10-11 hours out of my day, including 2-3 hours every day where my children are how but I am not. Which seems sad.

It also reminds me of time management and time spent. When I watch a movie with my daughters because they want to watch it with me yet feel guilty because I'm not "using my time" more effectively, something is terribly wrong with myself and my perception of what "quality time" and "time management."

Will these past three days solve all my time management problems? Hardly. But has it given me just a smidge more consideration of what is important in my time planning and less so?

Absolutely

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!