Monday, April 18, 2011

Inertia

Inertia is the enemy of self-development and direction.

I spent a day full of inertia yesterday. I could make the excuse that yes, I had been traveling and so deserved it, but the reality is that I essentially made excuses for myself to do very little.

Inertia also betrays you every time. It convinces you that you really do deserve to take it easy, to cater to your every whim, to just "be" - then sneaks up and wallops you with a 2 x 4 when you are not looking.

Am I speaking against relaxation or introspection? Not at all - I benefit greatly from both of those elements in my life (and you'll not find a greater advocate of introspection than I). But what I am getting at is that sense of slowing down because I "deserve" it. Quite the opposite - what I've come to discover is that when I am feeling that need to be inert is precisely the time I need to be at worst careful, at best on to doing something else.

Because what I've found for myself is that if I do surrender to inertia, the slide to becoming completely self absorbed in pleasing myself (to the detriment of those around me) is far quicker than I can calculate. It doesn't help others - and ironically, it fails to do for me the thing it promised. I am less rested, less self aware, less developed than I would have been otherwise.

Of all the things I battle against, I am the most difficult of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!