Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Focus

"The end result of successfully building alignment is to get as much mass at the critical point as possible." - Steven W. Michaelson, Sun Tzu for Execution

"Concentrate on a single goal, a single task, and beat it into submission." - Robert Greene, The 48 Laws of Power

"Major definite purpose: This is the one goal, the attainment of which will have the greatest positive impact on your life. You should know what this goal is and be working on it every single day." - Brian Tracy, Victory

"We can form a single united body at one place, while the enemy must scatter his forces at ten places." - Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Do I try and do too much?

There is a fine line between becoming a Renaissance Man (a dying art in this era of specialization) and having so many interests that one never becomes skilled at any of them. One gives you a command of multiple subjects and skills which can be used in a variety of situations and gives one a depth of knowledge to draw on for any situation, the other a smattering of skills which never lead anywhere.

The counterpoint of this is focus: laser-like focus (as Brian Tracy would say) on one objective until that objective is completed. Of course, not just any objective, but that objective which will most impact your life. Focus on the wrong objective simply gives one an expertise that has no impact on your life.

In my thoughts about coals and goals, I am hit by the fact that there are so many coals in my firepit right now - coals going back to well before high school in some cases, coals of things I did once and never really did again, coals of things I thought I would do but never started up.

On that list that I am working on (roles; yes I know, I still need to complete it), what are the roles (and goals) I identified? Are there too many? Or is it that I have not decided which to focus on first?

The Principle of the Mass (Brian Tracy) states that we need to concentrate combat power at the decisive place and time. What are my decisive places and times?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!