Sunday, September 15, 2024

Anger



I have fought a long and rearguard action against anger.

I come by anger honestly in that sense:  my father, especially when he was younger, had a temper - which in due time I inherited. I never had it quite to his extent, for whatever reason - either my mother's direct influence or simply less to be angry about.  My temper was always there of course, ready to flair at a moment's notice - not with physical violence (never that; the one fight I have every been involved in was in the fourth grade; it ended when I hurled my skateboard at my opponents and fled the scene).

I say "my father's anger"; having come to understand him more over the years I have come to understand some of the root of that anger:  an older brother tragically killed by a drunk driver and  his oldest brother took care of his youngest siblings and my grandfather took care of my grandfather; my father was effectively on his own to deal with the loss of his closest in age sibling likely did not assist his own father, who was apparently the classic drinking and swearing man before his conversion to Christ and the Baptist Church.

The last argument my father and I ever had was well over 25 years ago; I think I have told the story, but a small accident that I was unwilling to tell him about blossomed into a shouting match.  He said I never told him anything. I retorted back he never reacted well when I had bad news.  I stormed out down to the park at the end of the street; he came down and found me and apologized.  Never after that day did we have a fight; in fact on more than one occasion if he seemed angry, he apologized for it later.

(Turns out I did write about it here.)

My last argument was, perhaps appropriately enough, with one of my own children.  It was over an issue which impacted none of us directly but she was passionate and then I became passionate. It ended with me raising my voice and effectively shutting down the argument.  That never happened again, but we - and I mean all of us now - never discussed things like politics or religion after that.   

I "won", but effectively I lost.

(It is fine now of course, and in the intervening years we have enjoyed many conversations and adventures all together.  But some subjects are not spoken of and likely will never be again.)

Never in all my years have I been convinced of a thing by the anger of another.  Likely never in my years have I convinced another by my anger.  It can feel good, in that sense, to be enthused and excited about a subject, to feel the passion of "the righteous cause". Sometimes we even point to the idea of "righteous anger".  I suspect, in God's economy, a lot less of us have the benefit of righteousness in our anger than we care to believe.

There is a last thing, of course:  to the quote above, I think it is fair to say that never once have I felt God's presence in my anger.  It has been as if He packed up and left the minute my temper raised and only returned when, alone and exhausted, I see the destruction that my anger has wrought.

Anger, like arrows, can never be recalled once loosed.  They can only be painfully dug out of the flesh of those to whom it was directed against.

10 comments:

  1. Nylon128:17 AM

    Once anger arrives reason and calm disappear pronto TB and they take awhile to reappear, ask me how I know........(sigh).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I can guess Nylon12. I sadly bear much of the same knowledge...

      Delete
  2. Our society seems to have devolved to a point where everything has the potential to feed anger. I sometimes wonder if this isn't deliberate. Anger at one another keeps people distracted from what the powers-that-be are actually doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, there have been commenters and columnists that I have read that have suggested that we now life in a perpetual state of rage - what is more, our modern society encourages it. Not really a surprise, when everything is now pointed towards victimization, have and and have nots, and success rightful earned as "cheating" of some form or fashion. We can now always feel as if our rights are denied, our liberties trampled on, and the results of our life not our own fault but the fault of "others".

      And yes, I also believe there are people that undoubtedly use this to distract from far more important matters.

      Delete
  3. Anger is tiring too. It takes energy and effort. As my surplus of energy has dried up, so has my tendency to anger. I still get upset about things, but the blast furnace of anger that I used to have doesn't light off with a whoof anymore.

    I think of John the Baptizer's, "He must increase, I must decrease." I know what he was saying, but I've also applied that to myself. His nature needs to be waxing, while my fleshly desires wane. Not just, "More, More About Jesus would I know", but Romans 13:13-14.

    The analogy of arrows is spot on. I'd never seen that quite so clearly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow STxAR - that is something I had completely not considered, but you are so spot on. Anger is exhausting and the longer you are angry, the more exhausted you become. Plus the fact that the longer you are angry, the more you become anger driven and perhaps burn out other emotions until, as Leigh suggests above, we are simply a people that are only, always angry.

      The arrow analogy is partially my own - but it is really based on a poem that I cannot remember now except for the last lines which compared the use of words design to hurt to a headman's axe that, as the words were spoken, one could see the ax coming down and cutting through the neck - and this to a friend or loved one. That analogy has always stuck with me.

      I suppose as time has gone on, it has made me more and more reluctant to use such words or become angry; those images stick in my mind.

      Delete
  4. What about anger to oneself? Perhaps one of the biggest poisons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John - Great point, and one I am too prone to.

      Delete
  5. Fortunately, I was blessed with the ability to be very slow to anger, which ironically angers some of those around me. Like you, anger never does anything around the situation at hand any good an usually only brings around regret. But I do have a problem of stewing about things awhile after they happen, mostly meaning a night of little sleep, until I can get past it and forgive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I can stew on things with the best of them; one of the greatest challenges I have is simply reminding myself to let things go.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!