Wednesday, September 18, 2024

I-Bun The Mighty Has Fallen

 I-Bun the Mighty passed away Monday night.

When I adopted him in 2015, he was the rabbit I did not even think that I needed.  We had three rabbits already, but my friend The Shelter Director had already started on me the preceding August.  She kept encouraging me to take out the cage and hold him.  "How is your rabbit doing?" she would tease me during the intervening months.

That December he came home.  Only a few weeks later our first rabbit Bella passed, and he had a place to stay.


Rabbits are said to have the intelligence of cats, and their personalities are just as varied and memorable as any larger animals.  I-Bun was no exception.

To I-Bun, the world was about I-Bun.  He refused to paired with any rabbit, things usually ending in rabbit domination rituals, and so he lived in his own cage.  He would happily hop to the door to greet you, and even more happily hop out to take a stroll around the room.

What I-Bun was most about, though, was attention.

When we had the large purple chair in the Living Room I used for reading, he would perch himself one one arm, where he would firmly begin demanding attention with head butts and even light bites.  Once the attention started - his favorite spot was the hollow just below the ear and behind the eye - he would sink down, his eye almost going completely shut and looking for all the world like he had gone asleep.  And he could stay that way for long periods of time - stop the process, and one would get the baleful eye demanding that the attention restart itself.

Sometimes, he would even deign to give some attention back.

The Plague and Work From Home/Layoffs  (2020-2023, 2023-2024) were a great time for him.  I could set up the X-Pen wire cage in the entry hall and rotate the rabbits in and out so everyone got some out-of-the-cage time.  He relished these times, pushing the walls of the cage towards the carpet and trying to find a way to get out (which he did on more than one occasion).

The last two months of having him and Joy here were, in a real way, mental life savers.  Not just to have someone there when I got home, but the pure joy he exhibited when he got his 30 minute "out time" that we always did even up to the Saturday before he passed.  His routine when the door was open - hopping out, a very long stretch and yawn, then bounding away to explore the room - made the fact of being alone in a large city a little more enjoyable.

Rabbits can pass quickly, a legacy of being a prey animal where weakness is interpreted as becoming dinner.  He was fine Sunday morning, did not eat Sunday night (although this has happened with both rabbits before), and by Monday was definitely looking worse.  My fear was gut stasis, which can be caused by any number of actors - diet, weather change, just because - and I administered Gas-X and Critical Care, which was either not enough, too late, or simply not the issue.

But, to be fair, he was also probably at least 10 years old.  At an average life span of 9-12 years, he had lived a good life.

I stayed with him until the end Monday night, sitting on the couch with him in my arms, then lying down with him.  When I rose to feed him at 2300, it was clear it was close.  His breaths got shorter and shallower and shallower, and then - quietly - they stopped altogether.


One of the greatest books about animals, to my mind, is Watership Down by Richard Adams - both because it is about rabbits (no surprise of my opinion there) and the fact that he writes of rabbits as I would think rabbits probably see themselves.  The very last paragraphs have always touched me:

"One chilly, blustery morning in March, I cannot tell how exactly how many springs later, Hazel was dozing and waking in his burrow.  He had spent a good deal of time there lately, for he felt the cold and could not seem to smell or run so well as in days gone by.  He had been dreaming in an awkward way - something about rain and elder bloom - when he woke to realized there was a rabbit lying quietly beside him - no doubt some young buck who had come to ask his advice.  The sentry in the run outside should not have really let him in without asking first.  Never mind, thought Hazel.  He raised his head and said "Do you want to talk to me"?

"Yes, that is exactly what I've come for," replied the other. "You know me, don't you?"

"Yes, of course," said Hazel, hoping he would be able to remember his name in a moment. Then he saw that in the darkness of the burrow the stranger's ears were shining with a very faint silver light.  "Yes, my lord," he said.  "Yes, I know you."

"You've been feeling tired", said the stranger.  "but I can do something about that.  I've come to ask you to join my Owsla.  We shall be glad to have you and you'll enjoy it.  If you're ready, we might go along now."

They went out past the young sentry, who paid the visitor no attention.  The sun was shining and in spite of the cold there were a few bucks and does at silflay, keeping out of the cold wind as the nibble the shoots of spring grass.  It seemed to Hazel that he would not be needing his body anymore, so he left it lying at the edge of the ditch, but stopped for a moment to watch his rabbits and try to get used to the extraordinary feeling that strength and speed were flowing inexhaustibly out of him into their sleek young bodies and healthy sense.

"You needn't worry about them," said his companion.  "They'll be all right - and thousands like them.  If you'll come along, I'll show you what I mean."

He reached the top of the bank in a single, powerful leap.  Hazel followed; and together they slipped away, running easily down through the wood, where the first primroses were starting to bloom."

Somewhere, in the coming blue-green of the evening where the physical and spiritual world meet, the great Owsla now runs its patrol with a one-eyed rabbit charging forward with joy.

God speed, I-Bun.

16 comments:

  1. Aw, TB, I am so, so sorry. Rabbits are delightful pets and companions. That last part in Watership Down always brings tears to my eyes. Reading about I-Bun brought a a few tears too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leigh. They truly are the most delightful of companions.

      Watership Down is such a good book; I should read it again now. And yes, I cried a lot reading that section for this. It is such a poignant passage - not just about death, but about the life after. It is not at all hard for me to replace El Ahrairah with Christ in that moment (blasphemous as it sounds) with the same message: "It is time, friend. Let me help you with that last burden."

      Delete
  2. Nylon126:40 AM

    Reading this post TB it got a bit dusty in here.......dang.....now why is that? Just ran the vacuum in here too............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12, the amount of sobbing that was happening typing out that last paragraph...well, suffice to say it took a while to finish this.

      Delete
  3. Kindness to the smallest is rewarded friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Michael. For at least, it is also far easier to practice such kindness to animals than people. Animals ask for so little.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous7:32 AM

    My condolences sir for your rabbit's passing. Our animal friends become a part of our family and they are missed when they are no longer here. It sounds like you did everything you could to make him happy. I'm sure he appreciated that.

    That part you quote from the book was a great way to end your post. I've never read that book - I need to remedy that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon - Thank you. They really do become part of our lives, and my home seems slightly emptier for his going. Nighean Gheal (Middle Daughter) texted me last night. She said she missed having them in the house now, and that growing up (we had pets as long as all of the children came remember) she always felt like even though she might have been the only one in the house, she was never alone.

      At the risk I knowing I say this too much, I really cannot recommend Watership Down enough. It is a well written book and neither glorifies nor denigrates the natural world. It is also very much an encouraging book about how one rabbit's (or person's) vision can change their world when they believe in it and find other similarly minded creatures.

      Delete
  5. Growing up on a farm, I never had a rabbit for a pet but I'm not surprised that they make good ones. Almost all small mammals distract us from our daily toils and love us unconditionally, well at least the tame versions do. My condolences on your loss TB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, they really make great pets - especially for apartments (as I am reminded of lately).

      The unconditional love of small mammals is an amazing thing, especially their ability to seem to "know" when we need it. I am pretty certain my greater attention to subtle physical cues is due to my experience.

      Thank you.

      Delete
  6. Condolences, TB. It's tough losing a friend. Our furry ones are family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarge. This one was a hard one; he has been with us for almost 10 years.

      Delete
  7. I'm so sorry, TB. Your tribute to I-Bun makes me wish I knew the pleasure of having a rabbit as a pet. You loved him well. And it sounds like he knew it and loved you, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Becki.

      They really are the best of pets.

      Delete
  8. I'm sorry, TB. He sounds like he was a special bunny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sbrgirl! He had a huge personality for such a small creature.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!