Saturday, June 01, 2024

Relevance And Obedience

One thing that I have written about here from time to time in the past is our current society's deep-seated need for relevance.

I have most often done this in the context of the Modern Church movement, which (in my opinion) has often pushed the historic Christian faith to the side in order to appeal (be relevant) to the current population (sometimes known as "seeker friendly").  But really it has become embedded in every aspect of our population, driven largely by a social media experience that rewards attention and novelty, sometimes to the detriment (even death) of those that participate in it.  Studies have come out where portions of the population of the young say they want to be a "social influencer" - someone who is relevant to the culture by creating content or even movements consumed and followed by others (often rather than creating something of value, be it a physical creation or any sort of actual existing work).

I would argue that it is a deplorable development.  Instead of encouraging others to critically think, we teach them that to be thought of as almost worshipped is the most important thing.  Instead of teaching others the importance of creating, making, and implementing things, we teach them that a high-level razor-thin depth of knowledge and practice of anything is more important as long as one can make it look good.  And we teach them that influence - on others, on the culture, on the world - is the only meaningful metric for success.

In my haste to critique the world of this, it has come to my attention that I suffer from the exact same need to be relevant.

The initiating action was both logical and silly:  over the last 1.5 months, there has been a steady reduction of "visits" to the blog.  Part of that, undoubtedly, was due to a spammer finally being blocked in a meaningful fashion.  But it continued to fall.  In my pride, I saw it as "significant".

The second factor that confirmed this was a comment on another blog.

On the whole, I have a pretty narrow ring of blogs that I visit and comment on - most of them are two the right there (all reliable and solid people over there) but there are also a few which, due to the sort of content we do not discuss here, I never link to but do visit.  In my haste one morning to perhaps be "relevant" and make what I perceived to be a deep and penetrating comment, I posted.  And was effectively cut down (by words, mind you) at the knees for the better part of the day.  If one could measure relevance by follow comments and discussion, I had "achieved" it.

But what it really did was make me question my own need for "relevance".

Oddly enough (as it turns out), "relevance" is not something that The Bible specifically speaks to.  Oh, it speaks to relevance in the sense of the relevance of God's word to our daily lives, but almost nothing about any command where we are told to "Be ye relevant".  There is, however, a great deal in there about "Be ye obedient".

Obedience is, obviously, not relevance.  If the two cross paths at some points - where our obedience makes us relevant - it is only by accident and almost, I suspect, never by choice or chance. We are called to be obedient as obedient children, as witnesses of the orderliness of the Christian live, to demonstrate our sanctification (holiness) through obedience.  It is even suggested that good things come from obedience.

Obedience is commanded, relevance never so.

It has certainly made me go back and re-examine my own life.

That re-examination has taken two paths.  The first is simply - for a lack of a better phrase - to "stay in my lane".  My ability to generate relevant posts, at least on other sites, is demonstrably minimal at best.  Better to simply let that go.

The other path is in my own writing.

Every since I started this blog (many years in the rear view mirror now), I secretly had in my heart that somehow this was going to be a "relevant" blog (of course, in those younger days "relevance" was also measured by the vain notion that people make money at this).  I let that part go, but secretly all these years it appears I have still cherished that desire in my heart. And when I feel like I am not hitting it, I try to go be "relevant" elsewhere - with predictable results.

It likely will not change how I write (although I have already asked God about why I am doing this anyway and is it what He still thinks is good).  It will, likely, change a little what I write about though - perhaps my personally worst blog posts are the ones where I try so hard to be relevant that the whole thing is forced: forced in reading, forced in understanding, and indeed forced in somehow pretending I did my best work.

What I reminded, as it turns out, was exactly what I have pointed out in others:  my call was and is never to be relevant.  It is to be obedient.  Because, as Scripture demonstrates, God works on and through the Obedient.  Almost never does He work through the Relevant - except usually as an object lesson.

18 comments:

  1. Nylon127:20 AM

    Looking into the mirror can sometimes result in a difficult re-evaluation, perhaps discomforting. Life is learning and sometimes learning is hard. This blog is a good place to visit and thanks for sharing your and your family's lives TB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nylon12. I will be honest that sudden "realization" was shocking to me, and for a lot of the wrong reasons (e.g., that lack of self examination along with the "Surely that is not me" moment).

      Appreciate your kind words on the subject matter as well - really, I suppose, this is "most" in my wheelhouse.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Nylon12. Sharing your life has been relevant to me. Thank you for doing so.

    I despise and embrace the term obedience. As a kid, I was spanked into obedience, but it was only an outward conformity. When I came to know Jesus, He filled me with love. Our relationship made obedience a byproduct. I realized that I loved what He had done for me and to me. He did it out of love for me. I realized that love is the best motivation. When you love someone, even the hard times are a joy.

    I wanted to be close to His will, following Him and being available for His use at His time. And that is where I found relevance. When I am rightly following Jesus, I obey almost without thought. And when I'm in that circulation I am useful for His work. Whatever it may be. Being relevant to God's mission on earth is what really matters.

    And your post today has me re-evaluating my own life. How much more relevant can a person be, than to lead someone to think "on these things" and potentially make changes of an eternal nature? You did that to me today. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks STxAR.

      I understand your interpretation of the word obedience, and it is does indeed carry a lot of baggage with it. And your definition of how a relationship with God works is spot on. For me - and maybe this is just me - "obedience" is a word that I can clearly grasp and understand when I falling short of the mark (acknowledging the fact that obedience can be out of love as well).

      The sort of relevance you are addressing is exactly what we should be about - but as you say, a byproduct of following Christ, not the main thrust.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous9:44 AM

    I poke my nose in every day. Dont say much, my life is pretty dull, but like your ideas. God is good. Woody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Woody. I appreciate it. And that simple phrase really is encouraging - writers write to be read.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous11:09 AM

    Long time daily reader, first time posting. Your writing style is easy to read and very thought provoking. You have an interesting way of presenting your family and life. You have educated me on a variety of countries and their histories. You inspire me to think deep thoughts and to try to be a better person/Christian. Do not get discouraged. There is value to what you write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for taking the time to comment.

      If I am done any of things for you or all of them, then I am doing what I had hoped at some level to do. I am grateful for you sharing that impact.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous1:04 PM

    I echo the above comments - long time reader, first time poster. I have many of your blog posts saved in my "For pondering" folder. You make me think and that is a very good thing. Many, I would venture to say most, people of your readers' persuasion have a very small online presence and so rarely comment on anything. That is good for staying below the radar but unfair to those who so eloquently share their thoughts. I apologize for my former lack of response. Thank you for your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Thanks very much for that. If I make people think, that is all I can really ask for.

      I completely understand the need to have a small online presence or shrink it - good heavens, it is something I have been thinking of as well.

      And there is no need to apologize for any lack of response. I am just extraordinarily grateful you are here.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous4:31 PM

    Ditto LTR/FTP and also echo above comments. I check your blog at least weekly. Your writing is insightful and thought provoking in ways that help me understand how I might navigate through these troubling times. Thank you, TB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. It comforts me it provides some kind of help and perhaps even suggestions for how to live in the present age.

      Delete
  7. Anonymous10:06 AM

    TB, I have been visiting for almost 2 years. and I read some of the linked Blogs... This is the first time I have posted a comment on any blog. I am encouraged by your writing and approach to life. I am a Christian and agree with the comments above. We've been studying Proverbs in my (adult) Sunday School class, and I think of yours and some of the other blogs you link to as sharpening my life as stated in Proverbs 27:17. Also recall the first Proverb in verse 5 " A wise man will hear, and will in increase his learning." So being relevant as it pertains to following Jesus, and being the "Light" is what we are supposed to do as Followers. Trying to be relevant in the world, is like arguing with a fool. - Please don't be discouraged. Keep up the good work. - John from Southeast Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John - Thanks so much for commenting (and I am greatly honored that this is your first post on any blog).

      Wisdom is something I sometimes feel I struggle a lot with, partially because I am not all the wise and partially because I have made some large errors in judgement over the years. To your point, Wisdom is there for us if only we will take the time to open God's word.

      (My apologies for the delay in response - this has been a crazy two weeks. But I can assure you that finding your post this morning was exactly what I needed.)

      Delete
  8. I don't remember when I first left a comment here, TB, but it was after reading many relevant-to-me posts you had written. I finally just had to let you know I appreciated your thoughts, and your aweome ability to string them together in a way that resonated with me.

    It's good to see some new commenters above, and interesting to see that people find different things here relevant and beneficial to read.

    I admire your discipline in writing so regularly, and writing different types of posts from day to day. Your posts on spiritual matters may be, at first glance, the most relevant to me but taking in the whole of your blog gives me lots to think about - often in terms of living a purposeful and good/obedient life, but sometimes even in regards to my own writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becki, it is funny - I have the same question about when I first found other bloggers. One (Leigh Tate) I remember purely because of the fact of the specific story that day (Dan's finger). Other than that, I really think it is just finding them from other people's blogs.

      Thanks very much for your kind words - and yes, thanks to everyone who commented. Writers really do want to be read.

      Honestly, at this point I keep the discipline because I am terrified that if I do not, I will stop writing. Even if I know I will be out for a period - like this weekend - I now bunch up writing to make sure that I have something every day ("Write something every day" - Eaton Rapids Joe). Knowing that I have a deadline, even self imposed, is good for me.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!