Thursday, June 06, 2024

The Collapse CL: Loafing

 27 July 20XX +1

My Dear Lucilius:

Where does the time go! My sincere apologies for the delay in writing (I say “delay”; it is not as if I have any idea when or even if you will read this); these last four days have been an odd collection of recovery and action.

The “recovery”, of course, has been that of a man in his later years recovering from what can only be generously called a cross country hike. The day after we arrived was the worst; three days of on the road finally caught up with me and I was – slowly – able to make my way around the house and out to the garden to see how things were going for the first time in a week. They are going well, if that is of interest – my wife has years of experience here, compared to my relative handful of years and in fact, this may be the best the garden has looked.

The following days were all a little better: a little less sore, a little more agile. I suppose on the bright side, I am now aware of where points of pain and even arthritis will continue to develop over the next ten years. Not that it is helpful information of course, but it is information of sort.

The “action” is simply doing the things here that need to be done, as much as we can: continuing to work the garden and the small plot of grain we have, caring for the quail (and burying a couple; two years really is their lifespan), even checking in on the bees once (they are doing fine, thank you). Pompeia Paulina has pulled my dehydrator drying racks and put them into the sun with a window screen to dry as much as we can outside; our living room now holds the earliest of peppers, slowly drying as well. It is a big push, but she (and I) are conscious of the fact it is the end of July; within two months we could be facing snow already. And unlike last year, there is little enough of a previous year’s shopping bounty to bolster us.

The wheat? I will be honest in that I have been forbidden to mention anything about the wheat for a full week. When I tentatively raised the question – once – I was firmly told that “Young Xerxes was seeing to it and I am to do nothing but recover and spend time with your wife”. I gather that something is in motion somewhere; I may gently push again in a few days.

As Pompeia Paulina did point out, I have been gone a bit lately and she would like to see me. And so we have spent the last four days more or less by ourselves, confining ourselves to the small and regular chores on the property.

It strikes me as odd, Lucilius, as I sit here this evening as I have for the last three. There remains enough light to doing things: Pompeia Paulina sits on the couch working away at the stitching of something and I sit here at the table writing to you now. Both of us have cups of tea by– reused tea bags of course, so the tea is very weak but tea none the less. The smartphone is playing Handel’s “Music for Fireworks”: except for music and photos, it has little use without connectivity and remains easy enough to recharge. It remains a reminder of a world where something of beauty existed beyond what we can see in front of us.

As we sit here, I am struck by the fact that I had seen my grandparents doing the same thing so many years ago, my grandmother doing a crossword or reading or crocheting while my grandfather sat in his chair and read one of the books they left here for that purpose or the thin local newspaper that was published once a week. Music would be playing – music of the ‘30’s, ‘40’s, and ‘50’s in this case, the songs that they knew or perhaps the local AM station, crackling with static and local news and community events. My grandfather would fall asleep and then snore and my grandmother would nudge the chair enough to wake him up. In their retirement this was their Summer life, up here fishing and playing cards with neighbors and hosting their children and grandchildren when they came to visit.

How odd, Lucilius, that this seems nearer than ever and yet so far, far away.

Your Obedient Servant, Seneca


10 comments:

  1. When I vacation down at the family cabin, we often spend our days hiking, whether it is for three days or an entire week. But as soon as I get back home, the hobbling and healing starts for the next few days. I suspect there is something mental about knowing that there isn't "work" to be done that makes the body process the aches and pains and allow them to heal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite possibly, Ed. I find the same thing when I am on a hike - and the recovery process just always, ever, seems to take longer now.

      Delete
  2. Nylon121:31 PM

    Late posting since at 8AM chain saw noise came from next door, four trees and three evergreens gone in the space of four hours in prep for full street reconstruction later this summer, yay special assessment!! Seneca is realizing that recovery is more prolonged because of the age and effort expended, not to mention the alone time his better half wants....... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12 - Good heavens, what a disruption that must be!

      Seneca is, apparently, a bit of a slow learner. Or at least a slow catcher of suggestions...

      Delete
  3. Very curious why there is no mention of bicycles in your story. A 3 day hard hike is a day trip on a mountain bike, just saying as a reasonably fit 65 year old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, I went back and checked the initial list I created when I started writing this series. Seneca did not own one.

      They certainly must be around - although in this particular location, they would at best be useful about half of the year.

      Delete
  4. Does Seneca have electricity? I can't recall. But the mention of the smartphone made me think of it because these things need to be fed somehow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, it appears they lost electricity in September of 20XX. That said, he does have a small solar panel and battery pack, so there is some level of recharging the phone (the same as things like batteries for headlamps).

      (As as side note, the inventory list I created has been helpful twice now.)

      Delete
    2. That's being a good author! Can't say I remember retaining that tidbit from reading, but that's on me. An inventory list is a really good idea. It's consistency with the details that help make a story believable.

      Delete
    3. Leigh, I honestly think I got the idea from another author - but it has served to keep me honest.

      That said, I should revisit it. At this point of the narrative, some things may actually be gone.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!