Saturday, June 29, 2024

A Busy July

July, as it turns out, is shaping up to be a pretty big month.

Within this month - besides the standing events of Independence Day and The Ravishing Mrs. TB's birthday - lies the Great Rabbit Trek to New Home 2.0, a family wedding (which realistically will be the last time we all get together as a larger family unit for the foreseeable future), and the resumption of trips (shorter at the moment) back to The Ranch to make an effort to get things in order.

If that sounds like three of four weekends are booked out, you would be correct.

It is also kind of a milestone because at the moment, it is my last scheduled trip out to New Home. That is not to say that I am not going again, only that currently there are no set plans to be there.

Part of it is simply the New Home - or New Home in the person of The Ravishing Mrs. TB - will be out here more and more between now and the end of the year - at least once a month for several days between now and the end of September, and then almost a whole month between October and November, including Thanksgiving.  Christmas is not determined yet, although I suspect that any chance that Nighean Gheal makes it back to the US means that likely I will be there for part or all of that week (thankfully, we do get the entire week off).

Does it bother me, this seemingly sudden cessation of going "back"?  Less than I thought it might.

Do I miss my family?  Yes.  Do I miss Poppy the Brave and A the Cat and M the Guinea Pig (The rabbits, of course, moving in a week or so)?  I very much do, although they really are better off staying in a house with a yard to view (for A the Cat) or run in (for Poppy the Brave) than an apartment, and Na Clann are happy to have them.  And being able to train and my old dojo or go see the Rabbit Shelter will also be a special treat.

But no, at this point beyond that, there is not much that I miss.

It just really strikes me as odd, having been someplace for 15 years and then seemingly having abandon it in a short three months with minimal chances for return - and feeling okay with that in a way that I had not anticipated, of being able to clearly look back and say that I both valued that life and that I can let it go without regret.

Of course, I suppose adaptability is one of the great traits that allows humans in general, and some humans in particular, to thrive.

8 comments:

  1. Nylon126:45 AM

    Perhaps that odd feeling of acceptance is age eh TB? Sounds like next month is pretty well booked out, that will keep the mind busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe, Nylon12. A lot of my thoughts now when I am thinking on things is "Do I have the time and energy to invest in that" More and more, the answer is just "No".

      Delete
  2. We've idly thought about moving over the years, yet never strongly enough to actually look into it.
    Maybe people are actually human magnets, and we are either drawn towards an action, or pushed away, and equilibrium can mean we are either happy, or not unhappy enough to do something.
    That's going to need a lot more thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, almost all of our moves were for a reason, either for a job or a living situation (e.g., where we could afford a house). There was only once that it was a "choice" - but a choice based on a bad underlying logic base and ultimately ended poorly.

      I know of people that have moved because they wanted to - mostly because they were able and and did not have to stay where they were (frankly, often well off or retired folks). Sometimes it worked out; sometimes it did not. I think it may depend more on what one hopes to accomplish through the move: Is it somewhere we have always wanted to live? Are we downsizing? Does it get closer to something/someone?

      Moving is hard, even with my very light touch "Someone else packed and moved us". And I suspect if I did not have something like The Ranch to look forward to, New Home 2.0 might make a pretty decent place to spend most of the rest of our lives.

      Delete
  3. I mentioned this before but once I move I rarely look back. I’m not sure if it is a blessing or a failure of some sort but it is what it is at this point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting, Ed: the way things have gone this time, it is almost as if I cannot look back as virtually all of my attention is being pulled here.

      Delete
  4. This is good to read, TB. I'm glad the move is going so well - though I do realize moving is a lot of hard work. Your situation sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becki, things are coming together both slowly and in a rush, all at once. I think after this month we begin to approach something like a new normal through the end of the year.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!