Friday, June 28, 2024

Bookshelf Of Wonders

 "Look at this stuff,
Isn't it neat?
Wouldn't you think my collection's complete?
Wouldn't you think I'm a girl,
A girl who has everything?
- Ariel, The Little Mermaid

One of the first things I did when our stuff arrived - beyond unpacking clothes to give my wardrobe something other than "seven shirts only" look - was unpack some books. Part of this was strategic:  I needed something to anchor the base of the bookshelves. Part of it was personal:  I felt like I needed to have some evidence of my books being present.

As I sat there on my couch, looking at my one full bookshelf (the history/literature shelf), I was overcome with a sense of wonder.  

The wonder, as I thought about it, came from two areas.  The first is that having read works of ancient history which quote works of ancient history that are lost to us, I was overcome with the wonder of the fact that I simply have so much information at my fingertips.  Saying "I have more knowledge at my fingertips that The Library of Hadrian in Athens (which I have been to)" seemed a little over the top, but the fact that all of the works exist in my position certain gives me a leg up on 99% of the population up to the mid-19th or 20th century, when books began to be more commonly available.

The second area came from the fact that it was if I had seen these books again for the first time.

The bulk of these books have been in my possession for years - the earliest ones on this shelf since 1989 (A History of The Crusades by Sir Steven Runciman0 and Osprey Publishing's The Normans, both which date from my time in Ireland.  These books have gathered and sat on this bookshelf, which was near the entry of our house in New Home.  I have walked by them thousands of times without giving them more than passing thought unless I was looking for a specific one.

Now, it is like I see each and every one of them for the first time.  I am reminded that in some cases it has been years since I opened some of these up to read.  

I am also reminded that I could never purchase another book again and still read for years.


Look at this trove
treasures untold
How many wonders can one cavern hold?
Lookin' around here you'd think,
Sure, she's got everything.


If I think deeply enough about it, I realize that I have allowed my life what this microcosm of books represent:  a series of acquisitions and desires for things that I do not own yet, but somehow am convinced that I should.  I justify the need in my mind - I will benefit from this, I will somehow be better/more knowledgeable/"in-sync" if I have this or that.  And too often I acquire the thing, use it once or twice, and then it goes into the closet or onto the shelf, a trophy to be looked at and admired.

I would like to be able to blame "the world" of course, as the world has created a system where nothing is good enough for us except the thing that we do not own.  And that is part of it - but a larger part of it is myself.  If I am honest, I am the gaping maw that cannot be satisfied. I continually "need" things.  

I confuse "need" with "want" more often than imagine.

I've got gadgets and gizmos a plenty
I've got whozits and whatzits galore.
You want thingamabobs?  
I've got twenty.
but who cares,
no big deal,
I want more.

Is there anything wrong with wanting things?  Not at all.  Desiring a thing can motivate us to work hard to achieve it.  Some things we want are things we will use a great deal.  And owning things is not, in and of itself, a bad thing.  I suspect the issue comes when owning them makes them nothing more than the aforementioned trophies on a shelf.

I cannot swear that I will never by another book. But I can swear that I will think long and hard before I do and the reason behind why I am buying it.  And I do fully intend to re-read everything I own.  After all, gathering knowledge without using it is just as bad as not having it at all.

6 comments:

  1. Nylon128:38 AM

    Rainy days, snowy days, hot and humid days, books are always there. I'll say this about Osprey Publishing, like crack.... soooooo addictive (over 240 titles from them although just a handful in the last year). Purchasing things have gone way down in the last decade except for lead and brass........ :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12, books are the ever-present friend that takes us to worlds beyond us from the comfort of our home. And Osprey Publishing really puts out a good product - there are very few products that I have purchased that I have felt were a waste. They are both great for reading and great for reference (and I have used them for both).

      But yes, the purchasing of all things has dropped/is dropping tremendously.

      Delete
  2. Nothing wrong with being rich (with books). 😊
    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly not from my point of view, Linda!

      Delete
  3. " . . the wonder of the fact that I simply have so much information at my fingertips . . ." This struck me as a statement that I needed to ponder. You're referring to physical books, yet now, most people would think this about the internet. I remember several years ago, people were saying "books are dead," because now one can fit an entire library on one portable screened device. Yet somehow, that doesn't make that knowledge more accessible. Nor is make it make it more secure; the library on the device could suddenly be gone.

    I can't help but think of Seneca. Which would be of more value in his situation? Discovering someones collection of paper books, or discovering someones old, defunct eReader. Which would any of us prefer to find in a similar situation?

    For the record (mine, of course, lol), I don't think books are in the same category as gizmos and gadgets. The eReaders and other devices definitely are, but books are not because knowledge and wisdom have eternal value.

    "Improving one's mind" used to be a desirable thing. Doesn't anyone think that way anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the same problem with books though most of them I never intend to read again. I kept them to share with my daughters or other interested people. Unfortunately, this hasn’t come to play as my daughters like to read other genres than I. Thus I have slowly started to whittle them down, starting with the ones that haven’t aged as well with time, in case things change.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!