Tuesday, June 04, 2024

Responding To The World At Large II

Anisthenes

Yesterday I touched, on a personal philosophical level, of how I am managing my response to The World at Large.  And a basis is important for having a reason for doing something.  But basis without practice is merely a set of ideas.  So practically, what does someone do who is seeking to thread the needle of living according to one's principles and mores in a world which is at best thinks poorly of them and at worst is vehemently opposed to them?

I have had to put some thought into these to bring them into the form of a written form, as it is not something that I had done before consciously.  I do not know that they rise to the level of a manifesto, but certainly the represent my current thinking and to the best of my ability my current practice.

1)  Do Not Engage

This principle can take many different forms.  It appears in simply to refuse to engage in certain conversations and activities - much like traffic law, as a citizen or organizational member or employee I will do what it asked of me - read the document, attend the training - as long as it does not undermine some belief that is a core principle (and trust me, few of these things rise to that level).  But that is all.  If conversations start on such subjects, I do not offer opinions or thoughts.  If no more is required of me than "read and acknowledge" that is all I do.  

I find as a consequence of this, I simply tend to disappear from many people's radar and calculations.  This is an unexpected feature, not a bug.

One especial thing I personally have to fight in this matter:  the need to respond to things.  This is especially prevalent in the electronic world, where responding is as quick as a simple typing exercise.  I do not have to respond to every thing I disagree with or every bad comment I see.  I really do not.

2)  Do Not Support

This principle takes two forms.  The first is simply to not support, by my presence or involvement, anything that is outside of what I support.  This is actually much easier than it sounds:  Just do not go. Do not show up.  Do not follow the group or post or person.  Just walk away.  This denies them attention, something that the modern world and the movements in it desperately crave

The second form is that of the pocketbook, one of the real remaining powers that we possess - especially in a consumer based society.  Many if not most of the businesses that exist are somehow based on providing a consumer service or a consumer product.   Those businesses depend, ultimately, on someone buying something to pay for something.

I know what some may say:  "TB, the companies are too big.  My not-spending there does not make an impact or difference.  Boycotts do not work."

I agree that boycotts - generally - do not work in the modern world, but that is as much a function of the fact that the word "boycott" will immediately invoke a visceral response as due to the size of the companies.  But if we think people walking away do not make a difference, it may be that we are not looking in the right places.

If you have an hour or three, I might suggest doing a study about events in the entertainment and video game industries of late.  In short, they have chosen not to serve their markets.  And their markets are responding with a lack of support, both verbal and financial.  That lack of support has critical impacts for those companies and those industries.  

I suspect that as time goes on and economy continues, this lack of support will become easier for many (due to economic reality) and more impactful to those companies that remain.  Extend that to every sort of human endeavor and association and one can begin to see the potential for impact.  All done, I note, with any sort of formal declaration.   The reason people have left will become clear to any that have the curiosity to understand.


 3)  Do Become The Quiet Revolution

Since my last two points have been detractive in nature ("Do Not"), it makes sense to have something that is a positive action that I can take.  After all, someone who is only ever negative tends to drive people away instead of pulling them on.

Becoming The Quiet Revolution is going to look different for every person depending on any number of factors including location, economic position, relationships, etc.  And people will likely participate in all kinds of different ways that I cannot imagine.  Here, at least, is what I am trying to do:

1)  Become Independent:  Independence can mean a lot of things.  To some it means complete self sufficiency.  To others it means being able to do something which is not dependent on "The System" to do (even a single planter box in an apartment balcony or making yogurt is a step in the direction).    To others it means foreswearing social media to focus on actual human relationships.  But in all of these, it is taking action to free one's self in some way from a system that wants us to just "Go along" and "Be Dependent".

2) Make Money Count:  To some extent this is the opposite of Item 2 above (Do Not Support), but it is meant as more than that.  It may mean swearing off national chains or even local chains that do not comport with one's views and practices.  It may mean being willing to settle for not new items and going without certain things (A note:  In a society as rich as ours, "going without new things" is not hard at all if one knows where to look).  And it certainly means spending with those individuals or companies that we do find are compatible with our beliefs and practices, even if it costs a bit more.

3)  Become Intellectually Independent:  A subtype of the first item on this list, it could go there but I feel it important enough to break out separately.

We, as a society, have the knowledge of ages at our fingertips but for the most part limit ourselves to a paltry number of sources for our information.  This is something that I have had to actively work on for years myself, to give myself a second education  which 100 years prior would have been par for the course but even in my high school years was quickly fading.

What could it be?  Literally this is a choose your own adventure experience.  History, economics, science, public policy, philosophy, theology - literally any subject is out there for gaining more information on.  A small note here:  the closer information gets to our modern era, the less without bias it becomes.  So it has ever been, so it will ever be - even the great historians of old tended to write in a way that would not offend their current rulers.   And as a second note, expect this to take time.  Knowledge is not gained in a single short span.

4)  Be A Engaging Example:  The World At Large has a public image that they like to portray of people that will not fit in.  It is generally a cross of a Neanderthal savage with the learning power of the mob trying to burn the library at Alexandria clothed as the Spanish Inquisition and the economic sense of a miser on the day that rent is due.  It certainly not flattering and while by no means completely earned - but by actions in the past, we who do not fit in have made ourselves a target for this.

Be different.

Be engaging.  Be knowledgeable.  Be the man or woman with the pleasant demeanor and a quick hand to help.  Know things.  Do not make every event an opportunity to "preach" about the problems of The World At Large or what is wrong with them.  Be helpful and share what you know. 

And, of course, always be kind.

Because here is the thing:  listening to people talk and discuss in my own circle of contact, there is a sense that there is "something wrong with the world today", to quote those great purveyors of modern wisdom Aerosmith.  People cannot bring themselves to identify it but they know it is there.  It is staring them every day in their personal economics; it shouts from the current narrative where things should be better but are not;  it cries to them to them as the hint of things not quite right from history begin to resemble the current circumstances in which they live.

They do not need someone lecturing or shouting.  They do not need the equivalent of Pharisaical demands that demands complete adherence before forgiveness.  They do need someone - us - to show them a different way.  And that we can do not by the volume or decibels or vehemence of our words, but by the simple act of living a different and better life.

Gandhi is quoted as saying that we should be the change we want to see in the world.  If the world does not see it in us, in whom will they see it?

18 comments:

  1. Filthie7:30 AM

    I disagree with most of it - but I can respect it. If that’s all you can do - then do it.

    I personally think that most of that is what got us here: being polite, civil and courteous while the bad guys cheat, steal, pervert, rape, murder, misrepresent, defraud etc etc etc ad nauseum.

    I wonder… are you really threading the needle, TB? Or is that doublespeak for sitting on your hands with doing nothing with the one third of the population - while another third tries to murder the remaining third?

    Not judging, in the Darwinian sense that’s the play to make. I heard it said that God loves cowards, fools and little girls. We must all go to meet Him and be judged on our own terms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glen, you and I have had our differences in such discussions in the past - and as always, I appreciate your response and your willingness to hold to my rules.

      I can certainly grant that your view holds merit: the old phrase "fighting with one hand behind your back" comes to mind. And I completely concur that there really are people that do evil.

      Am I the third of the population "standing back"? That largely depends on your view of what "doing something" means. I will note that even in our own Revolutionary War, the traditional 3/3/3 is used (One third for, one third against, one third neutral). But even for that one third that fought, they did not fight on their own. Their food came from somewhere. They wore uniforms that someone made. They got intelligence from locals that were not in uniform.

      Support and resistance can come in a lot of forms.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous5:58 PM

      With respect the British army bought supplies to fight against the rebellion from colonials.

      I'd not give too much respect for the "other 1/3" folks because General George Washington often writes about how a "wagon load of colonial dollars " did not buy a wagon load of supplies.

      The British had gold coins and the rebels had paper promises. So the British never lacked for colonials made footwear while the rebels in Valley Forge had bloody rags for shoes.

      Michael

      Delete
    3. Fair, Michael. But that is one historical example; there are others. Most non-compliant movements or even guerillas actions cannot survive without the tacit approval and support of the larger community.

      Delete
    4. Filthie10:06 AM

      Not trying to be a dink or pick on you TB. At least you’re taking a stand. The kind of evil on the loose today is contagious…we see it even in the churches now. It has to be stopped.

      Delete
    5. Glen, no, disagreement there.

      Delete
  2. Nylon129:07 AM

    A though provoking post TB. Several of your points I agree with and several I disagree with and as with Filthie I can respect them. Social media is one big component that drives so much nowadays unlike earlier times of unrest. With the use of social media there's a sizable part of the population that demands you think like, them, believe like them and act like them, and if you don't ......unleash the dogs of war!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12 - Thanks for your reasoned response (Dear Lord, we do not have to agree on everything - what would we discuss?).

      Social media is a huge influencer on this, and I would concur for you that the benefits are not quite balanced with the negatives. And it does promote group think , as does much of the political and even religious movement of the day. That said, this is rooted more deeply than just us - I am reading a book called The Demon in Democracy by Ryszard Legutko and his analysis of Liberal Democracy in Europe (as opposed to our in-theory form of Representative Democracy) has a great deal to say on how Democracy can become the most controlling form of government, equaling Communism in its attempts to control society (if I am up to it, I may write a review).

      But there is a countermotion in the midst of this, at least I would argue: the fact that even as control is seeking to be gained, the system is slowly breaking down to the point that regular people are noticing it. My argument is that if "we" position ourselves not as "that opposition that only seeks a single answer and you have to believe just like us" but "Hey friends, here's an idea that works for me and has worked in the past", we can help people see a better world is possible - and it is not one given to us solely by the OPASB telling us what it is.

      (Wow, that was wordy. Sorry!)

      Delete
    2. Nylon1210:59 AM

      Not a thing to be sorry about TB. Refining a point helps mucho( so much for dose Anos of high school Spanish).

      Delete
    3. Heh heh. It is good for me as well, Nylon12 - I often think this things through but writing, I do not have someone to bounce the ideas off of except after publishing.

      Delete
  3. "Do not engage." There's a meme out there somewhere that says, "When you build in silence, people don't know what to attack." I used to be like you in that I always felt I had to get my 2 cents in. Then I learned about "the gift of silence." It's especially useful with people who tend to be angry, argumentative, or who are looking to pick a fight. If given silence, they have nothing to respond to. And yes, you're right that a group ignores those who are silent and quickly forgets about them.

    "Be an example." This is a two-edged sword. I used it in a family feud, to set an example of how we should be treating one another civilly, only to be attacked all the harder, because my niceness was interpreted as weakness. After I was designated the scapegoat, I walked away from the whole mess.

    I think where it's important, is as an example to those who have tender spirits. They don't realize there is another way, because they've never seen anyone behave differently before. But if their spirits are hardened, it seems to make them all the more aggressive. I suppose one has to be discerning as to when to reach out in kindness, and when to disengage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, recent experience has reminded me - again - that I need not respond to every comment or story or post (I mean, other than responses here, of course). And I do find it remarkable to wonder if people that respond in anger or argument or fight picking realize the harm they are doing to their point or cause.

      Examples are hard. Yours sounds like an awful one (and yes, I have had the same experience and had the same result). And as was pointed out to me recently, people that tend towards kindness or believing the best in people are more prone than most to be on the wrong end of those transactions. And that makes your point even more needed: not everyone will want to have the example.

      On the other hand, I have the historical examples of some of the philosophers and theologians of their days, that lived their examples in spite of the society around them and who impacted those societies and people in ways their detractors had not envisioned. I am not one of those, mind you, but it does seem to have its place as well.

      Delete
  4. I hate to pile on but on the big picture, I disagree with the first two points although I am guilty of the same things on a smaller personal level.

    In the big picture, I think it is important to engage and try to correct the ills of the world. Nothing gets accomplished sitting on one's hands and keeping silent. But I do acknowledge that doing so in certain instances on a personal level is a wise thing to do.

    Likewise in the big picture, I think it is much more powerful to be part of a group you disagree with in order to better understand how they tick. Knowledge is one of the most powerful weapons out there. You can't gain much knowledge of an opponent from a distance. But like the first point, I am guilty of avoidance on a more personal level.

    But I fully agree with your third point and the four things one should do to become a revolutionary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed.

      I suppose one could make the argument that there is a division in not engaging. The classic argument, I suppose, is that in the event one sees a crime, one should stop it - except, of course if there is risk or danger. Or if one knowingly is aware of a situation of abuse and one says nothing - but even then, the engagement may be as simple knowing whom to pass the message to. On the other hand, my ability to make a scene at an company event because I disagree with a policy is neither good sense nor good actions. As long as they do not make me actively engage in or partake of the activity, I have no reason to do nothing more than either 1) stay; or 2) leave.

      To your second point, being a part of a group to disagree with to gather information on them is certainly valid - but that is different from supporting them. I can follow discussions or newsletters or read materials or press releases, but if I am doing it for a specific reason - to know the opposition - that is different than supporting them. And implicit in that is the idea that I am not going to change that organization.

      But on the other hand (and why I chose the entertainment/game example), not supporting can be an effective economic weapon. And it does not have to be confrontational or angry. It is simply a separation until the parties decide make better choices. In that case, the suffering is completely brought on them by themselves - and being a self imposed problem, is something they can fix.

      As always, thanks for your reasoned response.

      Delete
  5. Item 2 - Do Not Support: I think that we've seen how this can pan out in the wider world with Bud Light, advertising that did not accord with customer perceptions seriously impacted on the business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will - Agreed, although interestingly to me that fell into the concept of "boycott" which in the past has generally been met with scorn and ineffectiveness but this time worked. Much like what seems to be occurring in the video game and entertainment industries, the smaller your market the more power your market has.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous12:41 PM

    Bud Light was different. They managed to trigger the disgust reaction in healthy men. If there's one thing a food producer should avoid, it's grossing out its customers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that is was somewhat unique in the modern annals of customer backlash. They both underestimated their market badly and then, when that underestimation manifested, managed to double down in their reaction.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!