Monday, June 17, 2024

On InterWeb Groups And Making Good Choices

 Old AF Sarge over at Chant du Depart has been crafting an excellent narrative - he always does, but this most one is extremely good (if you are not reading him, you should be).  In the current series, one of the characters - a guy who thought he was doing the right thing but ended up enabling some very wrong things - makes the the following statement in police custody:

"Look Sir, I'm in over my head.  I know that now.  I betrayed my oath, I betrayed my shipmates, and damn it, I betrayed my own core beliefs."

This particular sentence stood out to me because it is a concept and question I often keep asking myself about.

One of the great challenges of feeling like one is largely on one's own is the reality that one tries to find contact with the others that are on a similar wavelength.  This is something I have done my whole life as a "nerd" whose interests ran pretty contrary to most of my peers.  It becomes even more pronounced when one finds one's self an island of one set of beliefs in a culture or social situation that has a different set.

The reality is that for 95% of us, all we know of our fellow human beings on the InterWeb is what the post.  Sure, social media may provide additional information or there are some individuals that just post their whole lives, but for most of us there is a very wise dividing line between engaging in conversation and thought and inviting the world to track us down.  As a result, we often only know what people want us to know about them.

Sometimes this is fine as is and we can share opinions or thoughts or recipes.  Sometimes, it is not fine and we finding ourselves associated - seemingly suddenly - with individuals and groups that we had no intention of being in support of.

I write this from experience - it has happened to me more than once online.  No, not "those" kinds of groups and nothing criminal, but people starting edging from comments that seemed reasonable and rational to comments that really did confront that line of oaths to friends, oaths to society, oaths to myself.    Having recognized the issue, I ceased moving in the same direction.

But the temptation always remains, looking for a group that shares one's beliefs and in some fashion throwing one's lot in with them.

I have gotten a great deal better about this through the years - especially with groups, I am far more standoffish than I used to be.  And in social situations, I have virtually mastered the art about having no opinion about anything that is remotely controversial (a "mmmm" and general non-committal head gesture goes a long way).    And I have tried to get a lot better about asking "What is it I really want to see accomplished", followed by "And how is this person/group/association going to accomplish that?"  If I keep pressing into those questions, I find that I am generally a lot more aware earlier of potential risks.

But it remains a challenge.  I will say that I have found connecting with individuals - mostly on their blogs or here - seems  a much more reliable method. 

I completely believe in the Social Internet.  But I do not believe that even with its benefits, it outweighs significant risks of throwing ourselves "in" with the wrong crowd and only realizing that fact too late.

(Post Script:  Again, thank you for your management of comments and discussion here.  At least for me, this truly functions as an environment where I can think and ponder and post and be understood for what I am trying to do through the process.)

14 comments:

  1. Given the mass of internet comment volume, it's a safe bet that it's not people searching for trouble but NSA's supercomputers looking for "Key Words" to put you in an algorithm for evaluation by a person as required. Does "Person of Interest" spring a memory?

    BTW in the same theme, "encrypted" communications is a duel between the computer encrypting it and the computer working to break that encryption. Pure computer power wins. Ask Germany about Enigma some time. They were quite sure it was safe but the 1st working computer busted it. 

    So, I laugh when folks say Signal is secure or whatever. Seems over the past few years I've seen various secure communications busted a few months later on CNN.

    Birds of a feather is also a common legal theme in entrapment and RICO stuff. So being active in a site that generates a lot of Keywords seems unwise.

    Is there not a saying in Japan about the nail that protrudes is hammered down?

    Don't say anything on the internet you'd not discuss in a busy coffee shop.

    Orwell's 1984 is in effect.

    “Being in a minority, even in a minority of one, did not make you mad. There was truth and there was untruth, and if you clung to the truth even against the whole world, you were not mad.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

    “Nothing was your own except the few cubic centimetres inside your skull. ”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

    “Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, I presume at some level that all communications that are not verbal transferred in person without things like Smart devices or written items directly transferred are at some level compromised.

      I agree that I am close to the bottom of anyone's "concern" list. But no sense in stirring up trouble.

      Delete
    2. Friend, in your reply did you include vehicles with OnStar and variants, cellphones with in 20 yards of you, various smart appliances, ring products and of course Alexa and Sri?

      I'm quite often amazed how just saying Sri in our busy coffeehouse triggers several across the room.

      Delete
    3. Living in an urban environment, some of these things - Ring especially - I cannot really escape. For the others, I manage them as best as I can.

      Delete
  2. I hit that same speed bump with a couple blogs I've followed for several years. It seems a sudden turn occurred. Concerning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, STxAR. I think some of it is rooted in frustration at the rate that change can take and some may have simply always "been" that way, but managed to avoid dealing with the topics directly as there were always other things to speak about.

      Delete
  3. Whenever I start reading a new blog, I generally read a number of posts before ever making a comment so that I get the "feel for the room" so to speak. Then after commenting, I try to avoid anything controversial or against the prevailing tides for awhile. Only after a period of time when I feel that the person has had a chance to know me, will I feel like I am somewhat safe to make a comment that might go against the prevailing tide. It has still gotten me asked to leave quite a number of times but there are also a number of times where I have been heard and responded too in a respectful manner which is all I ever seek in return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, that is a good strategy and something I have started adopting as well - or for me, even fighting the urge to have to comment. Like you, I have sometimes misjudged the room, but that has become less and less as the years go on.

      I will also say that my stopping places on the InterWeb have gotten less and less over the years. Now, I will regularly read the blogs to right and occasional blogs recommended or commented on by others.

      Delete
  4. Nylon128:32 AM

    Who knew 1984 would be used as blueprint by some?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12 - The subtle difference that misses the folks that are fans of the 1984ish aspects of our society is that they truly believe they are doing good. Which, I suspect, the original Big Brother did as well...

      Delete
  5. As always, TB, I appreciate your thoughts and the way those thoughts cause me to think. This is the closest I come to "social media" and I enjoy the exchange of ideas among a small group of bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob!

      Honestly, this sort of thing is a probably a far healthy sort of environment for me than the larger sorts of sites. I will note I think this is true of most of the sites I frequent as well: smaller, generally the same 20-30 people posting, controlled conversations.

      Delete
  6. The internet enables a wonderful expansion of relationships, but has certainly changed the way humans interact with one another. It's much more challenging to interpret written words without the benefit of voice tone, facial expression, gestures, body language, etc. Maybe it makes it easier to apply our own assumptions. It also makes it easier to be flippant or rude. Rather than genuine relationships, communicating over the internet often feels more like just a series of interactions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, it does make me realize why people were much more concerned in the age of letters about the language they used. They already accepted and knew that they would not be physically delivering the message; thus how things were phrased and indeed the very words themselves had to be used to carry the nuances that were actually intended. That need has not gone away in this age but if anything it has increased.

      I think people often assume that people will give them latitude in their communications, but often seem to not extend the same grace to those communicating with them - human nature, I suppose.

      A relationship which is effectively a serial. What a wonderful thought to ponder.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!