Monday, December 05, 2022

December Rain

 The rainy season has finally come.

I am grateful of course; we really need rain this year and a great deal of it, and we need it in manageable quantities that will not flood anything but allow it to soak in.  The bushes and trees have been showing the stress of the lack of rain.  

The rain matches my mood.


There are moments in life - and this is one of them - that life feels like it is on one big "pause", waiting for something, the way that the earth now waits for the rain.  A quiet sort of waiting - the way the earth always waits, as the earth is patient in a way nothing else is.  

It is not so much a waiting "for direction" or a sign - would that it were - as much as it is the simple sense of existing, of being between two states - the past and the future - with no indicator of when the switch flips and things move forward.  The seasons I can see and understand from the calendar; this moment in my life, not so much.

If the rain has a message for the earth, it is silent in giving it.



10 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:51 AM

    We received a good amount of slow soaking rain about two weeks ago. Accompanied by 40 - mid 50's dreary weather. I had to feed the cattle where the shelter from rain and hay bin was crowded in. Rather pungent there but the pasture(s) sure did need it.

    Glad to hear your locale is getting needed rain - you can almost hear the Earth heave a sigh of relief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to (as Reverend Paul used to call it) Accuhunch, there has been 3.37" of rain this month ,with more on the way this week. Snow in the higher elevations would be equally ideal, and hopefully they are getting the same.

      Agreed - I can almost hear the earth sighing. I had not thought of it before you wrote it, but perhaps that is what I am sensing.

      Delete
  2. Nylon124:51 AM

    Hope Mother Nature can make up your deficit. Here with six inches of snow on the ground, our deficit is nine inches for the year. Spring thaw and rainfall will be important, especially for the farmers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12, I think one thing that is underestimated - everywhere - is the growth of urban areas and their use of water. It is not just that there may be variations in precipitation from one year to the next; it is also that more water is being demanded by urban areas for their lifestyles.

      Delete
  3. That tree line in the video was beckoning me to explore it. Some little bits of heaven exist on earth. That is proof. I haven't been in the woods or weeds in way too long. I feel the pull, I can hear it calling....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR, this places calls to me thousands of miles away.

      Delete
  4. Praising God for the rain.
    Be still and know that I am God... Psalm 46:10
    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. I am super grateful for the rain.

      Delete
  5. One of my great pleasures in life is sitting on a covered porch and listening to it rain.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!