Saturday, December 31, 2022

Thank You, 2022 Edition

 Dear Friends:

Once again, the end of the year is upon.  This things always seem to take me by surprise, no matter how long ahead I think I am planning for them.

In years long past, I tended to fill up the last part of the year with all the big plans for the next year.  Those are all still out there of course:  I have to over-plan my year so I can feel unaccomplished at the end of it.  It is something of an annual ritual for me now.

In more recent years, I have taken the opportunity to thank you, my readers - which seems like a more productive use of the post (after all, I can feel unaccomplished anytime).

So thank you.

Time is the stuff of life, the only thing we can only spend and not save and of which we earn not a second more.  We all only have a specified amount, rather unknown to us (until it is not) - and life is endless in its opportunities to spend (or waste) it.

Your commitment here - be it an occasional stop in, a regular stop in, and commenting never, occasionally, or frequently - is spending of that most precious of resources.

Thank you for trust.

According to  Ye Olde Estimator, last year I had something like 199,000 views - which is something like 28% of all views since this was officially "tracked" in 2010.  Not that I get paid for any of this of course, but it is a little staggering to think of that amount of increase.  Hopefully for a good reason, and not because I have showed up on yet another government's "list" (Looking at you from years past, Russia and Ukraine).

Ultimately the reason 99.9% of blog writers write is, I suspect, because we love to do so and want to share something, be it a story or information or vision or just an interest.  It certainly not that we are reaping any sort of physical rewards from this - were that to be true, the Blog-O-Sphere would look a lot more like social media with people more interested in drawing in views than communicating (it may be like that on some blogs, but none that I follow).  

To the extent that I have learned something from you - and I have learned a great deal over the years - thank you.  And to the extent that you continue to stop by, thank you.

In a significant and real way, this blog and the readers of it have and those that I in turn follow have become "my tribe" - a fairly loose association of individuals - perhaps a bit screwy at times - but all the more beloved for your being here.

This year was good year.  Next year, come what may, will be a good year for me as well as I remain privileged to share it with you all.

Your Obedient Servant,

Toirdhealbheach Beucail



12 comments:

  1. I don't comment often, but I always enjoying reading your thought provoking posts. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sbrgirl. I am always grateful when you do leave one.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous6:49 AM

    You posts are thoughtful. Your personality comes across as humble and authentic. That what draws me in TB. If I were to start blogging in ‘23 I would hope to strike the folks in this fashion. Happy New Year.
    Franknbean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FnB - Thank you. I hope I come across as you suggest as that is what I am actually trying to do in my life. I truly believe we need more such character traits in the real world.

      Happy New Year!

      Delete
  3. Nylon127:49 AM

    This is one of the blogs I read every morning even though I don't leave a comment every time, sometimes the brain won't get out of "park". You have an interesting blog along with thoughtful readers who have managed to expand my knowledge base, for that I thank you and them. A Happy New Year to you and yours TB, along with a healthy one too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nylon12. I have learned over time that "lack of comments" is not "lack of impact" - often I can read a great article and have nothing useful to contribute.

      I am somewhat proud of the "thoughtful readers". I agree with you that they are thoughtful and well mannered and we can think about things meaningfully - which should be the point, in my opinion (and I learn things all the time too!).

      Happiest of New Year's!

      Delete
  4. Is the glass half full or half empty, TB? Don't look at it as unsuccessful; look at it as how you accomplished as much as you did.

    To you and your readers, TB. A blessed New Year. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, it is (to be fair to your point) more than I could have hoped for. I still like to give myself grief.

      Happiest of New Year's to you as well!

      Delete
  5. Yours is the first blog I read each morning. Thank you for your thought provoking posts, and for hosting such interesting discussions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, this has made my day ever so much. Thank you so very much for your kind words. You and Dan serve as inspirations for me in what I would like to do.

      Delete
  6. Although I don't usually do much blogging, writing or reading, on weekends, yours is one of the handful that come Monday, I generally go back and read the ones I missed.

    I guess I started, nearly 19 years ago now, writing on a blog as another outlet. It has been that all these years but has also been very therapeutic. Something about the act of committing letters into words in a more permanent manner tends to help me figure things out and release my mind of the burden of dwelling upon them. I'm not sure what I would do without this release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the vote of confidence Ed. Hopefully I continue to still write things worth coming back to.

      "Therapeutic" is actually a great word to describe it. I am someone that communicates best by writing. I honestly feel like I get more out of the writing and posting process than my readers, simply because it makes me think through things and put them into words.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!