Saturday, December 17, 2022

Battling The Proffered Upgrade

 My laptop computer is the third laptop I have owned.  The first was one of the first remnants of The Firm, my one (and only) business venture.  The second was a replacement that TB The Elder and Mom bought for me when that computer had virtually died and there was no money for a replacement.  The third unit is the one I am using now, a Christmas present from The Ravishing Mrs. TB when the second computer, in turn, started to fail.

Three computers in almost 20 years.  I hold on to them until they, like our cars, fail.

In terms of programs for my computer, I am (frankly) cheap.  I will use whatever operating system is present.  I will only pay for things that I really perceive as needs, which is mostly security rated software (Shout out here to NordVPN for a fantastic, reasonable VPN software). Some security software (Glary Utilities, Avast) I use the free versions (but, to be fair, should probably upgrade).  But for other things - thinking especially Microsoft Products - I will not pay.

Once upon a time, one could purchase the Microsoft Suite of products and use them freely. Now - like everything else - they are subscription-based models (Shout out to LibreOffice, which does everything Microsoft Suite does, and can even save in Microsoft formats).  And their free items - their InterWeb Explorer, Microsoft Edge - grates on me purely because I hate giving information away for free and do not like my "choices" guided (although, to be fair, I did download Microsoft Mahjong, which is actually a pretty good adaptation).

The current operating system I have is Windows 10 which - in 2014 - was considered top of the line and is what came with the computer.  Since then, of course, Windows 11 came out.

As my computer frequently reminds me.

Periodically - and Good Heavens, the periodicity  seems to be getting shorter and shorter - the start up screen of my computer brings up "Do you want to switch to Windows 11?"

No, I reply and hit the "Not now" button.

"Are you sure?  Windows 11 does amazing things.  It is like the most best thing out there."

No, I mutter to myself, trying to click the "Really, not now" button repeatedly.

"Are you really, really sure?  It has a lot of functionalities that will make your life better."

No, I mutter again out loud to the computer.  I surf the InterWeb, I write and keep spreadsheets, and I play Mahjong.  I do my taxes once a year.  That is it.  I am hardly the power user you think I am.

"Okay" the computer finally concedes, almost grudgingly - then as an afterthought, puts up only two options:  "Convert now" or "Remind me in 3 days".

I search for any other button with an option, then wearily ask it to remind me again, so I can refuse it again.

I admit, in the scope of what the world is going through and the issues on the horizon, a recalcitrant computer trying to offer me something for nothing is a pretty minor and First World issue.  At the same time, it annoys me beyond all reason.  I have said "No".  I have said "No" repeatedly since the option was first posed to me.  Yet somehow, in this world of "nothing ever disappears from the InterWeb", my computer cannot remember a simple response.

Yes, I know:  At some point there will be no choice but to convert.  Even then, to the end, I will bitterly be looking for the "Do I really have to do this?" button.  

There are many things I can choose to do, but ultimately I hate being "told" to do something - be it from a person or a box on my lap.

15 comments:

  1. I have always just used desktops and I think they typically last longer. I don't like a hot laptop on my lap and if it is being used on a flat surface, I would rather have the full sized keyboard and a mouse. Like you, I don't like the subscription model. I still use Word and Excel from a 2016 version that my wife was given for her work laptop. Once those go away, I will just switch to one of the online free versions available. The thing I miss the most however is to have a solid modeling software. After my old versions went defunct, all the new ones are also subscription based. The free versions online are nearly useless except for the most basic of modeling and they too keep trying to get you to update to the subscription models.

    By the way, everyone has been talking about the Windows 11 update. I haven't heard of any bad experiences about it but I was beginning to feel left out especially reading about the nagging you are receiving. Why am I not being nagged? Well I dug around in my settings and it said I was fully up to date with my version of Windows 10. Then I noticed in the upper right hand corner there was an apology saying that "This PC currently doesn't meet the minimum requirements to use Windows 11." So since this desktop doesn't have any issues at all, I'll probably not ever see what Windows 11 was like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I would agree with you that desktops last longer. That said, I tend to write best in chairs - also, desktops are not quite as convenient for travel.

      I think almost everything has converted over to the subscription model. From a business point of view I understand it; from a user point of view I find it loathesome - it is as if I am continually buying the same thing instead of owning it. (I do recommend LibreOffice if/when you convert from 2016 Word/Excel. The layout is a bit different, but it does everything it needs to do.

      Not even qualifying for the Windows 11 reminder - either the ultimate triumph or the ultimate insult.

      Delete
  2. Nylon127:20 AM

    The constant prodding of "Upgrade! Upgrade!" is, as you say TB, annoying as all get out. Also on my third laptop, the first two died valiant deaths and they've never been on my lap, usually on the end of the kitchen table on a stand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12, it is offensive: I know you have an upgrade. I have chosen not to get it. Why are treating me like a child, as if I have forgotten?

      Oddly enough, I use a table/desk for work computing, but almost always a lap for my personal computing. Not sure what "in the lap" has to do with a less formal use.

      Delete
  3. I went through laptops like grain through a goose. My area of field service shouldn't have been that hard on them, but they were too soft. I got an MCSE for NT 4.0 back in the day, and knowing the guts of it kept me employed. I hated Win 10 when it came out, until the company ponied up for Pro. I haven't even seen Win 11 yet, on purpose. I guess that's moot now. I've been out of the field on injured reserve for 18 months.

    I dislike M$ to the point that I use Ubuntu and Open Office or Libre Office at home on ancient pcs. "Why pay retail?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR, one wishes that the laptops were more durable without being the cost of the "field use" models. That said, I have (generally) had good luck with them.

      I try not to give Microsoft a single dime more than I have to as well.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous9:41 AM

    I have been quite satisfied with Linux Mint for the past 10 years. I first put it on an old student laptop sold by our local high school for $15, have installed on a dozen computers for myself and others since then. Most of those have been older systems bogged down by windoze to the point of becoming almost useless. Linux breathed now life into them and turned them into much faster useful machines.
    You might want to look into it. TONS of support among the online community, free software galore. The graphical user interface is an easy learning curve for windoze users. Coding via the terminal is a whole 'nother thing - but not at all necessary.
    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard great things about Linux through the years - thanks for the recommendation. I consider myself the least of the technically able, but your comments encourage me!

      Delete
  5. I left the Gates evil empire behind when I retired, since then I have been using Android tablets with Google Sheets and Docs in place of Excel and Word. After some minor relearning, I have found them able to do all that I require. I certainly don't miss the bloat and complexity of the MS offerings at all. The only downside so far is that GMail is rather primitive and with a mind of its own, but for my use I can live with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggle Will - I am no more a fan of Google than I am of Microsoft, although Google docs are frighteningly handy. And you make a good point - MS always have far more than I need.

      Gmail is indeed primitive. We used it at my work for a while, and coming from Outlook it was like I had stepped back 15 years.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous7:18 PM

      I am getting more and more frightened by Gmail and Google's ever-increasing intrusion into my life.

      Most recently I have been considering purchasing a second hand firearm for use on my farm. Every single time someone has emailed images of their rifle to my Gmail account, I find their email in the spam folder. Every single time.

      This says to me their AI is analysing every single image I receive and send. And because I have enquired about various second hand firearms for the last six months or so, undoubtedly I am now on some sort of a wrong-thinkers list.

      I tried C-Templar for email to escape the Google-scrutiny, but they recently shut down - one of their core tenants was they would close before allowing their email to be read by anyone other than the account owner.

      Love to hear of any email services that prevent AI intrusion.


      Delete
  6. Another vote for Linux. There are very novice friendly distributions out there. Like Linux Mint. Or like the various versions of Ubuntu I've used since 2006. I love not being nagged by windows, or having it takeover my system to do it's thing. Plus, most computer viruses are written for windows systems. And, all the linux software is open source, which means most of it is free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leigh! The point about the relative lack of viruses and the cost (free!) is definitely a good consideration.

      Delete
  7. Similar numbers here - average computer of mine makes about 8 years, though I generally try to buy good ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, like most things I own, I am hard on them in a way they were likely not designed for. And to be fair, technology has improved as well, for example, solid state drives. Less moving parts are, in general, my friend.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!