Saturday, August 27, 2022

2022 Mt. Whitney Day 1: Jennie Meadows to Ferguson Creek

Mileage:  11.1 miles/17.86 km
Elevation Gain:  1586 ft./483 m
Time:  ~ 9 hours

The call to breakfast was early on our first morning, allowing for individuals to get used to the idea of getting up, getting breakfast, and packing up.  I was up early with The Outdoorsman - I am always unable to sleep well when I hike, be it because of the relative light of moon and dawn, the discomfort of a mattress that never quite seems comfortable, or just because I do not sleep well at night, or perhaps a combination of all three).  We ate our breakfast of bagels, cream cheese, bananas, and coffee as others stirred and slowly got up.

The Outdoorsman and I were two of the first to have our tents down and packs up first - a practice we have picked up from our own training hikes, he by practice and I by his training.  We are always ready to go early, so we waited as others came to get breakfast and then packed up their own tents and gear.


One of the addition to our packs was a bear can, about a 2 foot high, 1 foot in diameter plastic cylinder which is bear resistant and which has our food for the next 8 days.  Each of us would carry one in our pack over the next 7 days.  They started out rather heavy, but grew lighter over time as food was eaten and weight was redistributed.

After finishing breakfast and packing up, the van was locked (to be picked up later by other team members to meet us at the end).  At that point, there as no choice:  we had to go forward.

The hike started with a climb of about 45 minutes or slow, a bit of an uphill grade.  It was not too stiff of a climb, but a good leg stretcher and an idea of what we would begin to see as we continued on our trail.  The sky was blue, and the sun bright but not oppressively hot (the change in temperature was a welcome break from the heat of Summer).  We continued up to a pass through granite and pine, similar to what The Outdoorsman and I had experienced in our own hikes, then a slight descent to our lunch spot (below):


Lunch was a tortilla filled with Asian Slaw and cut up fried chicken (marvelous things tortillas; good for any number of camping meals and packing much more flat than bread).  We sat and ate and marveled at the view.


The afternoon was largely spent in a descent to our camping spot that evening.  This descent was on a trail that involved a lot of dirt and sand on the trail - besides being much warmer (with the sand reflecting the sun up), it pointed out one big gap in my hiking footwear:  mesh shoes, while good for many things, are not very good at all for keeping things like sand and dirt out.  My feet began to feel gritty immediately, which would be a refrain that followed me for the rest of the hike.


By later afternoon we continued to drop until about 4 PM or so we arrived at our campsite for the night, Ferguson Creek. We all began what would become a standard practice at every trail's end:  Our guides would start by getting water ready for filtering and use, and we would spread out, looking for campsites, after which the assembly of the tent and arrangement of gear would take place.  I would become more proficient at this as time went on, getting to site readiness within 15 or 20 minutes.


The Creek was wonderful:  cold and clear.  In a first on this trip, I had purchased a pair of camp shoes (generally sandals, "Crocs", or secondary shoes that one wears in camp to give one's feet a break from the hiking shoes) - in this case a pair of plastic sandals.  I put my feet in the creek - amazing!  It was such a relief to be able to scrub the dirt from them and just let them rest in the water for a time.

(In a now-amusing subplot, I took off my glasses to wash my face and placed them on the rock beside me.  I failed to realize that I had left them there until about 20 minutes later when I went to look at pictures on my phone and could not really focus.  There were a few minutes of panic until I retraced my steps and there they were, right where I had left them.)


We were able to have a fire for the evening (fires were allowed below 10,500 ft.), and so ate our Chicken Noodle Soup and Pesto Pasta around the fire.  I do not know why food tastes better when one hikes, but it certainly seems to.  We watched the fire, tentatively exploring each other a little more.

At the close to the evening, we have to list "Roses and Thorns" - things that went well and things that perhaps did not.  I, of course, simply list that today, I did not die.

The creek made a wonderful backdrop of white noise as we drifted off to sleep.


 

11 comments:

  1. Nylon126:46 AM

    Well done post TB establishing the beginning of the daily routine, like those photos also. Mentioning the bear cans, anyone pack a firearm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12, it really did become a sort of daily routine - which surprised me a bit, given the short time we were the hike. If anyone was packing, they kept very quiet about it.

      Delete
  2. I find I usually sleep better as trips like that go on and my body becomes more worn out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, sadly this does not seem to be the case for me. Part of it was finding a way that the foam mattress would work effectively - it never did; I was forever rolling around - and part of it was the general lighted nature of the night (full moons into dawn). The day I slept most deeply was, perhaps not surprisingly, the day we got to the summit.

      Delete
  3. Glasses. Very much yes, and we each travel with a spare pair of glasses. The spare is the previous prescription.
    From negative experiences, I now remove my safety glasses from their pouch, and immediately place my regular glasses into the pouch.
    I've not yet decided to make a couple of pouches from a high visibility color fabric, but that will probably happen.

    I think there is a saying about hunger being the best sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John - I have my previous pair and will bring them next time (although I begrudge myself the weight). It really just reminded me about how much of a creature of habit I have become in terms of placement of items here at home.

      Delete
  4. We camped in Garner State Park once. The tent had a fly over a mess top. When the wind came up that night, the mess sifted the leaves from the dirt, so we only got the dirt, not the nasty leaves. ugh.....

    I used to hike with leather boots for the ankle support. Twisted one rather badly in high school and never trusted it not to fail on me. It never has, and no I don't hike.

    First time I washed my hair in mountain creek water, my head shrank five sizes. I never felt anything like that before or since. man that was cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Autocorroupt does not like mesh.

      Delete
    2. STxAR, I have rather wide feet and so am always somewhat limited on what I am able to procure for footwear. That said, this may be one area I need to spend a few shekels on (From what The Outdoorsman has said, for most hiker hiking "boots" are now passé).

      I keep my hair super short now to both minimize the need for washing on hikes as well as the effort of drying it.

      Delete
  5. Whew! I was preparing to read about lost glasses. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becki, we really came about "that" close. Fortunately, I have learned when such things happen to retrace my steps - and sure enough, there they were!

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!