Monday, August 29, 2022

2022 Mt. Whitney Day 3: Big Wet Meadow To Colby Lake

 Distance:  4.83 miles/7.8 km
Time:  5.5 hours
Elevation Gain:  1944 feet/592 m

Breakfast this morning was English Muffins and sausages as we packed up and prepared for a sort of intermezzo hike, a shorter hike between two locations which was just as much to a location as it was to continue with the journey. In this case we would be hiking up the Granite massif we saw yesterday (Whaleback Ridge) and up and around to Colby Lake, positioning us for a longer ascent and distance the following day.

After the initial skirting of Big Wet Meadow, we started ascending up Whaleback Ridge into what I consider High Sierra country.  We marched along the stream that fed Big Wet Meadow .

Below is Shorty's Cabin, an old trapper's cabin which is a landmark for the hike.  Apparently there are more than one around the Wildernesses from the days of trapping; this one is the best preserved.


We continued our ascent.  If you look in the picture below, the postage stamp sized green space is Big Wet Meadow.


For lunch that day, we stopped on a granite face with the stream flowing over it (lunch being peanut butter and jelly tortillas, which worked surprisingly well).  We spent an extra long time there, watching the water run.  Some soaked their feet; our guides slide down the rock into the pool (with the accompanying torn shorts in D's case).



After lunch, it was another round of ascending with stream crossings.  I had my first big stream crossing fail here:  the rock slipped out from under me and I sat down in the stream.  Fortunately The Outdoorsman was behind me and braced me so my pack did not go in and D the Guide was in front and grabbed me.  The only concern was my glasses, which slipped off my head and feel into the stream - right at D's feet!  We very carefully extracted the glasses and except for a slightly bent hiking pole (bent back into shape by The  Outdoorsman,), I was none the worse for wear.


One more round of ascent, then Colby Lake came into view.

Camping sites were a bit harder to come by here as there was much more granite exposed; we had to separate into almost three different camps.  It was higher off the water's edge as well, so access was not nearly as convenient.

Fortunately for me, there was a small stream nearby that made laundry day possible:


Dinner that night was fajitas, complete with tortillas, tomatoes, rice, refried beans, and fajita mix itself.  Fajitas was not something that I would have thought would work on the table but we separated everything into individual stations (I was the rice guy) and it worked surprisingly well.  One of our team also had a birthday which was ultimately celebrated with a small stack of chewy granola bars and some dysfunctional cotton swabs infused with petroleum jelly as a candle (which, sadly, did not work) - but was well received none the less.


14 comments:

  1. I'm glad your unexpected slip into the stream wasn't more serious! Interesting about the cabin. An historical reminder of times past, in a place that otherwise seems timeless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, God looked out for me more than once on this trip - it could have been much worse!

      The cabin was indeed interesting - I cannot imagine being up there for months at a time in the late 1800/early 1900's, only coming down at the end of the season.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous5:15 AM

    Beautiful background pictures. Rock in stream was likely slime covered and made it easier to slip, especially if weight is not evenly distributed over your feet. Glad to hear no permanent harm was done.

    Peanut butter / jelly tortillas ? Never heard of that one before, but it sounds like a good use of resources. Fajitas and tortillas are old friends of mine, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      The rocks that tripped me up were much less due to slime and much more do to the fact that they were not solidly planted and wobbled, and that was enough. I definitely got better with crossings over the trip - and other than a wet behind, nothing but my dignity and hiking pole were damaged.

      The peanut butter and jelly tortillas surprised me as well - but were surprisingly good! Usually I eat my tortilla based meals in a bowl with the tortilla on the side for eating. Other than controlling the drip of jelly, they were very effective as an easy lunch.

      Delete
  3. Nylon127:38 AM

    Really enjoying the photos TB. Out in the wild eyeglass straps come in handy I've found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12, for sure the strap will become a necessity. This was the first time my glasses have ever seriously been at risk.

      Delete
  4. As you say, TB, praise God for watching over you (and your glasses). :-)
    Gorgeous photos of God's creation. You have a knack, TB.
    Thank you!
    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, no-one is more thankful than I. And you are more than welcome on the pictures - truly, it is all the phone. I just point and click.

      Delete
  5. Several times over the last few hikes I have done, I have been reminded that I'm not as agile or stable on the feet as I used to be as a young man. I have to focus more and now realize the benefits of not doing them solo. Good to hear that you were no worse for the wear after the fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, by far for me and almost everyone on the hike, descending is far more difficult than ascending. The risk of a turned ankle or mis-step rachets up considerably heading downhill (as opposed to uphill).

      Other than some blisters, overall I came out of the hike well. My muscles did not fail me due to my strength training regime, but my conditioning did. That will need to be addressed prior to next year.

      Delete
  6. Nylon12 already mentioned the eyeglass straps, I will only add that a flotation eyeglass strap adds little weight and they come in neon colors.

    Tortillas are the working cousins of crepes!

    Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flotation Straps! I am all over that. Sounds amazing.

      I had not appreciate the full range of the usefulness of tortillas, but I am getting there quickly.

      Delete
  7. Looks like Shorty build quite a sturdy cabin. The stone scenery is stunning. Glad you didn't get hurt. Or lose your glasses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becki, I suspect at the time that cabin was built, there were not many trees smaller than that (late 1800's/early 1900's). And with wildlife being far more plentiful back then, things like bears were a possible threat.

      The granite was extraordinary and unique - I have seen such things in pictures and from roads, but never in person.

      After the trip, I did secure a glasses strap to avoid the issue on future trips.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!