Saturday, July 03, 2021

The Application of Essentialism: Goals

 As part of my annual review of my goals (I say annual; it really feels like an endless visiting and revisiting), I again compared my thinking to the book Essentialism.  I have done this for a number of years now as I have tried to narrow down - or firm up? - what I really want to be spending what is effectively become the last third of my life.

As I did this exercise, I did something I had not done in the past:  I actually started defining things as a goal:  "<Fill in the blank> is a goal".  And after I wrote them down, I did not just adopt them.  I kept writing them down in that form.  And combining them  And eliminating them.  And trying, the author of Essentialism suggests, to boil them down to their core. 

What I ended up with at the end were five (keeping in mind my Rule of Five, which is I can remember no more than five goals or goal areas; also, convenient for counting on one hand).

This is the final set:

1)  Theosis (Greek) or Sanctification (Latin-based) is a goal (they mean the same thing).

2) Significant reading and comprehension of Japanese is a goal.

3) Certification (Menkyo) in Iaijustu is a goal.

4) Ichiryo Gusoku (see here) is a goal.

5)  Financial Independence is a goal.

I know what you are thinking:

A)  "That seems like a high level set of goals" (Yes, it is.  There are sub-goals which feed into these)

B)  "Those seem like a set of not incredibly related goals" (Well, they are, kind of.  The Japanese supports the certification.  The practice of Ichiryo Gusoku supports the financial independence.)

C)  "Financial Independence seems a bit out there."  (Yes, it is - but it also depends how you define Financial Independence.  Is it having all you want, or being content with a life style and having enough?)

D)  "Theosis and/or sanctification?  Vying with with saints, are we?"  (Well, yes. But it is something I should be working on more consistently.)

E) "Can you do any or all of this?"

That is the real question, is it not?   I have created and constructed goals for most of my life, and have never quite gotten where I wanted on most of them.

The reality, though, is that I have been slowly sifting through my life to do these sorts of things for years now.  Iaijutsu has become my one significant extra curricular activity.  I have stuck with Japanese for years and am finally (again) starting to make progress. I am trying more things with gardening to actually get more of a harvest, for example.  And even given the financial circumstances of the world today, there are still actions we can take (and are taking) to move in that direction.

The real question, of course, is if I can commit.

I made a list of activities that I have items to support or do or am interested.  There were a total of 60 different activities on the list.  There is no way I can ever do all of those.  Yes, one does not have to be an expert or even a passing expert at everything (for example, Old English is mentally stimulating but falls into none of the above buckets), but at some point, one simply has to say "I am not going better at that".

In other words, to choose some things means to not choose other things, and I have always struggled with committing.

But it is time.  Because time is passing, and fumbling at things this late in the game is moving me precisely nowhere.

7 comments:

  1. Someone (I have no clue who) said, "Aim at nothing and you'll hit it every time." If it wasn't for my personal goals, I wouldn't be willing to experiment and learn. No matter how far I get, it's been a wonderfully fulfilling journey.

    You make some excellent points about goals, TB. I find it interesting that yours will all require some level of self-discipline, which is an extremely useful skill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, my guess would either be Abraham Lincoln or Yogi Berra, because everything eventually goes back to one of them.

      My biggest issue in life is often just making a decision. So I am trying to force the issue.

      Iaijutsu and Weight Training have really increased the level of self discipline in my life. Without these two activities, I would not have made near the progress overall I feel that I have.

      Delete
  2. Hi TB :) Well, the old cliché says that if you really want something you will just do it. But I know what you mean about commitment. I often lack the mental energy to start a project, mainly due to being emotionally and physically drained by other projects. But I take baby steps and keep an eye on my project lists all of the time. A little bit here and there keeps me moving ahead. I think that financial independence is a good goal to have and it is very doable if we are willing to set our lives up in such a way that we can achieve it. I like your list!! And I like the rule of 5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain, that is exactly it - or as someone else really smart said, "You will make time to do the things you want to do". So I need to decide what I want to do.

      For me, I am always happy to start a new project, but am not always as good as finishing them. That is why I am trying to narrow my focus (to the extent I can - as I wrote above, even narrowing it down to five leaves a lot of sub-projects).

      Financial Independence sounds like a big thing - and maybe it is. But I - now more than ever - have no desire to relying on any government or other party for my financial future. One thing that helps me with this, both from observation and speaking, is that expenses shift especially as we change our focus from a "job" to a lifestyle. At my age (at least), there is really not that much I need to "buy" and there are only so many places one can go.

      I do not specifically remember where I saw the Rule of 5, but I like it too. It especially helps me focus.

      Delete
    2. I'm moving towards financial independence too. Right now as you may now, I'm on a disability pension, but that dries up when I'm 65 (I'm 53). After that and because I have piddly savings (1k to date), I will have to rely on the Canada Pension Plan. It's about $600 a month - you can't live on that. I keep trying to put money away but life keeps sucking me dry. I have a 10 year plan to make a home business and I'm actually working on that today. It's getting to the point where I'm a little worried. It may sound like a big thing, but taking small steps towards financial independence needs to start today! Time goes by way too darn fast!!!

      Delete
  3. Look at all you have completed towards those goals.
    Fantastic, I say.
    God bless you all, TB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda! You are quite right, looking back is a great exercise to see how far one has come.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!