Sunday, July 11, 2021

16th Blogaverisary

 One score less 4 years ago...No no, that has been done before....

When in the course of human events....Hmm, a bit ostentatious...

Friends, Romans, Countrymen...wait, that has a bit of a ring to it...

Friends, Romans, Countrymen, greetings and salutations on this, the sixteenth anniversary of The FortyFive!

To be fair, the first three years were not terribly remarkable or productive ones:  by the lovely archives over to your right, you will see that I posted a total of 4 blog posts the first year, and only 79 in the first three years.  I suppose I though at that time that writing was just something that "magically" happened by inspiration and "If you write it, they will come".  It was really only when significant change started impacting my life - first a job change, then a job loss, then a move to New Home - that things really began to take shape in terms of a blog.

I have documented it elsewhere (buried in the archives, not doubt) that originally I had very high hopes for this blog.  This was going to be a place of great thought and discussion.  This was going to be my "ticket" to a life made purely off of writing.

It did not work out that way, of course.  A very, very few people make their living blogging; the 99.999% of us remaining do it on the side for one of two reasons, as I have come to understand it:  1)  We cannot help but write; or 2) We are sadists, who believe in continually throwing ourselves out into the InterWeb void for no reward but the task.

So no fame, no wealth, no independent life.  Why do you still keep after this, Toirdhealbheach Beucail, you may be asking yourself?

Any long time blogger will give you their own answer.  For myself, it has been one what the blog has done for me, not what I have done for the blog or the greater InterWeb.

Blogging has allowed me to engage in the practice of publicly writing my thoughts, my feelings, my ideas, in a way that journaling has not.  It has taught me the discipline of writing on a regular basis - especially from two years ago, when it became a goal to post something every day of the year. Which means writing every day of the year.

Blogging has also convinced me, in a way that nothing else could, of the importance of The Social Internet, that link of blogs that allows people to think, discuss, and exchange information in a way that Social Media does not and cannot.  We discuss and ponder; Social Media accuses and throws words as weapons.  If there is to be salvation of the Internet, it will only come from The Social Internet.

But perhaps the best part is that I have had the opportunity to meet any number of wonderful human beings.

Originally when I started this blog, I shared it among a few friends, most of whom I suspect have completely forgotten about it (which is fine, of course; people's lives get busy and go in different directions).  But over time, new people started showing up and commenting.  What I discovered was that in a great many ways, I was not alone in my thoughts and beliefs; I had intellectual brothers and sisters all across the globe.  They have come to be meaningful people in my life, the sorts of folks that one can have a discussion about potentially contentious subjects and discuss in a way that things are aimed towards coming to an understanding, if not an agreement.

For the silly part of me that values such things, I have been fortunate to see an increase in readership (so in a way, I did hit that "famous" part, just not in the way I anticipated):


And I certainly ended up in a great many more places than I had ever thought (why Russia remains my second greatest number of readership is beyond me; perhaps even your humble servant is of interest to the GRU):


The other reason I kept up with this blog, of course, was TB The Elder.

I do not know precisely when he started reading, but up to the end of last year, he was a daily reader of the blog, so much so that he had my brother-in-law install a direct link on his iPad (along with a link to The Book of Face and his solitaire game).  So much so, I sometimes had to temper my words lest he worry to much - more than once, I wrote about something at my job only to get the response "Is everything okay at work?  Are you getting laid off?"

This blog has effectively become a public journal of sorts in my life in a way my private journal is not.  It has documented a great many things, almost unintentionally:  four job changes, a move away, children growing up, and a rather large amount of adventures.  It has also documented in a way my own struggles personally, theologically, philosophically.  It has been of value to me, if to no-one else.

How long do I intend to write?  The blog just moved past its 4000th post this week, so at this point  it has the weight of inertia going for it.  And as I mentioned, this is a discipline, perhaps in some ways a spiritual discipline, but a discipline none the less.  It keeps me on a schedule, rooted in a task. It also keeps me thinking, almost constantly, about what would make an interesting post, about how to write about something.  In a way, although I only post once a day, in point of fact I am constantly thinking about posting or writing all the time.

Finally, of course, thank you, the readers. I know I try and say it at least once a year, but it really should be stated more.  Any writer desires that their writing be read by someone.  The fact that so many take some element of their precious day to spend a few minutes reading what I have written and commenting is humbling beyond words.  I am a better person from your comments and suggestions.

On to Year Seventeen!


23 comments:

  1. Congratulations on sixteen years! That's quite an accomplishment, especially given the frequency of your posting.

    My blog has evolved greatly over the years and these days I only post occasionally and keep my comments turned off. My first two and a half years of blogging are lost in the blogosphere and not archived on my current blog. Probably not a bad thing.

    I understand the need for discipline. I began a faith blog in 2017 and that was one of its purposes. I post there daily and don't allow myself to ever schedule anything in advance. While a few folks read there (and occasionally comment), it's more for my own purposes than as a means of interacting with other.

    Here's to many more years of blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelly!

      Yes, looking back at some of my earlier works as well, they maybe better off being lost in the InterWeb, although in all fairness I should probably start going back and reviewing things. I have started in a somewhat easy sense, as (given the tone of the world now) there are certain identifying features that needed to be obscured. Operational Security and all.

      I completely respect everyone who turns off comments. I approve mine manually, which takes a bit more time. In all my years, I have only not published two comments, one because it was mean spirited and one because it went a bit over the lines of what we try to discuss here (but meant in the best of discussion tones.

      The discipline has really helped me. I do not know that I write any better, but it has trained me to begin to think of things in terms of post.

      The good wishes are appreciated and thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Well I pop by every day too. I like the preppers, geezers, cranks too, but I like the more serious tone here.

    Keep up the good work, TB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glen, you are one of my most faithful commenters. Thanks for your patience and sticking with me, even in my less than stellar moments.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous5:38 PM

    That's an very admirable amount of Know Thyself. Keith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, I think that you write quite well. I do like the concept of a community of like-minded commenters. I visit the blogs of many who are regulars here, even Glen (ha) and find much of value.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you NM. It really is a community - that is one of the few things I was trying to achieve that I actually seem to have done. The Social Internet really does work.

      Delete
  5. That is amazing, TB. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda! No-one is more surprised than myself.

      Delete
  6. I'm another one who is always happy to see a new post here, TB. I don't always comment, but I always receive food for thought. I very much appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leigh! That is all any writer could ask for, that their work is in some way anticipated and provokes thought.

      Interestingly, I have come to accept that I do not have to comment on every post of every blog I read (I end up doing it, of course, but I suppose that is just me).

      Delete
  7. Anonymous7:51 PM

    先生、私はあなたの剣とあなたのペンの両方から出てくる啓発された知恵のより多くの年を楽しみにしています。
    安心して、マックボルダー

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. マックボルダー, 親切なコメントとお時間を割いていただき、誠にありがとうございます。 深く感謝しています。

      あなたの友達, Toirdhealbheach Beucail

      Delete
  8. While I don't comment often, I find your posts quite thought provoking. I also enjoy your fiction, although I hope it isn't a preview of our future world. Gulp...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sbrgirl! That is what I really wanted, even when I first started: to give people something to think about.

      As to the fiction - I find it all the more alarming as Seneca continues to share his world with me. He seems to have planned well - myself, not so much.

      Delete
  9. Sixteen years!?!? Boggles the mind it does.

    Congratulations Toirdhealbheach Beucail, here's to sixteen more! (No pressure...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does Sarge. That whole "The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I have now gone a thousand miles and have no idea where I am..."

      Thank you very much! I was doing the calculations last night and somewhat sadly, it seems somewhat unlikely I would ever hit 50 years, although one should always have goals...

      Delete
  10. Although I haven't read all of your archive, I have gone back and read quite a number of them. I like seeing how people evolve over time in their writing and I know I certainly have. Some of my original posts, now archived offline, are really kind of embarrassing to read over again after all these years. Because we all change and improve our craft, stumbling upon your blog after all these years was kind of like finding a really nice bottle of aged wine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed - I think part of the challenge is that most people that jump into blog writing (or writing of any kind, really) start out without really knowing what their "voice" is. I am reasonably sure I did not; it only seems to have emerged over the course of years (I still could not really tell you "what" my voice is, just that it is mine). I do not wonder that many people give up before they find it.

      I am starting to go back through my older posts (apparently when there was a conversion in 2009 or so, the older materials became unformatted). I have not found one I regret yet, but I am pretty sure that it is due simply to not having read enough. At 4000 posts, there should be something.

      Thanks for the kind compliments and your continued patience in my writing (also, for being the resident optimist).

      Delete
  11. Anonymous2:38 PM

    Strangely enough, not long ago I stopped to look at the blogs I read and why I read them. I have my morning routine where I check in with the regulars and in the same pattern. with the exception of the politicals where I attempt to get to something close to the truth on current events, I read British women. I enjoy the contrasts in life styles and idioms. My others are all Texas or SW writers. I'm looking for kindred souls. I have read your's daily from about the time you moved to the Houston area. Am I correct? That's among the ways you have put yourself "out there". I admire anyone in this hazardous time who is willing to speak openly and honestly. I'm not that brave. I'm 84 and question what I have to give and who would listen if I did. I really feel we will have a major turning point arriving soon that will further divide us all and I hope for the courage to defend my beliefs and protect what I hold dear. People who share the same beliefs are precious to us and help us keep up our moral courage. So, thank you for putting yourself "out there". You are valuable to us all. Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia - You and I share yet another trait, I see: I too have a morning routine of blog checking (which looks a great deal like the blogroll over to the right).

      Houston is a good guess, but not the correct one - I suppose it is no secret (based on my description of the weather) that I am somewhere South of the Middle of the country, but I have never really been more specific than that. Some because just a general Operational Security Issue, some because of the fact that, at least for me, I try to write beyond the borders of the geographic location in which I live. If you have followed me since our relocation from Old Home to New Home in 2009, thank you for your tenacity.

      It is funny - if you asked me, I would not necessarily consider what I do to be "putting myself out there". Probably that comes from the fact that I write under a nom de guerre, which I feel affords me a bit more ability to think through my thoughts and present them without having individuals carry the baggage of all of who I actually am. I hope I am honest and open in my communications; I certainly strive to be if for no other reason than it is the only way progress is made.

      I think we all have something to add to the conversation, although I would never burden anyone with the concept that the only way to do so is to write. You are only a bit older than my parents and certainly up to last year, my father still had all kinds of things to contribute - if we are ever fortunate enough to move back to The Ranch, I will have to recreate a lot of knowledge that he had.

      People who share the same beliefs are indeed very precious to us, and the power of the Social Internet is it allows us to stay connected and supportive of one another, which is now more critical than ever.

      Thank you for the very kind words and your continued support.

      Delete
  12. I am behind in my blog reading. I too have wondered where you are located, but I won't press you on it. :-) I had decided you were in the northern part of the country, so I'm glad we could isolate it a bit more. In any event, your writing is thought-provoking, and I'm appreciative. Here's to many more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob - Thanks for the good wishes.

      The general obscuration of location, as noted to Julia, is purposeful, both for actual general InterWeb reasons and the fact that I really try not to get caught or tagged up with a locality. There are other writers who do that far better than I.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!