Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Signs Of The Times, Parking Lot Edition

On my way back from Sunday volunteering at the Rabbit Shelter, I will often stop by one of the branches of my local used book store.  To be frank a great deal of this is out of habit - I have enough new reading material to last me for a few months - but there is also this thought at the back of mind, a thought that any bibliophile will know: that if I do not stop, I might very well be missing a book I have been looking for.

I have been going to this particular location for five years or more and so have noticed the changes over time.  The changes over the last year or more, since the start of The Plague and the accompanying economic turmoil, have been striking.  A number of existing restaurants went out of business and have not been replaced.  The local Big Box general store is still in existence and in fact has expanded to include a fuel station - but also has expanded to include a security watch tower.

Shoe and name- brand clothing stores disappeared, while the generic low-end clothing store has done a booming business - so booming, in fact, that a competitor store offering the same sorts of things went in about three storefronts down.  The Big Box Pet Store and Big Box Home store continue to do well, at least on Sundays.  

This past Sunday, though, there were a few new things.

As I curled my way around the Big Box General Stores, I noticed a pop-up cover at the far end of the parking lot, far away from the store, with a older truck with a rusted back panel and a rack of bottles.  It was someone who was apparently running an auto detailing service, right there in the shade of a tree.  Across from there at one of the exits was the back of a woman holding a sign.  I could not see what the sign said, but I have seen enough of them to be able guess the nature of the plea.  It was interesting placement, at one of the least frequented exits; I can only assume the more busy one was either already occupied or off limits.

The surprising thing was the musicians.

I had seen the set up once before:  two musicians, both on violins, busking  to back up music.  Before, I had seen them in the back of a parking lot.  Here, they were set up against a row of cars, facing into the Low End clothing store - a fairly blatant way to effectively "play" at the exit without being on store property.  It was the same set up although different individuals than I had seen before, which suddenly had the ring of an organized system of some sort.

By the time I came back out of the bookstore (bearing no new books this time), the musicians had stopped playing and their background music not sounding - no idea why:  Did they just take a break?  Did they get asked/threatened to stop?  The woman with the sign was still at her post, swaying back and forth in pink sandals.  The auto detailer was still at work, taking a break answering a question from what I assume was her son.

I hesitate to draw a conclusion from any of this; an N of one is of no statistical value at all.  But we live in an area of heat and humidity, and this is not a place that I had seen any of this before.  Busking, begging, backyard businessing, all in the larger confines of an outdoor shopping stretch which has largely become a purveyor of staples and low cost items.  

I cannot say it is a vision of our future, but neither can I say it is purely a one time phantasm.  The pieces and parts are becoming too familiar.

8 comments:

  1. I had my 4Runner in the shop on Monday. Routine 50K service. The service section was full of staff, briskly getting cars in and out of the service area. The sales floor was also packed with sales staff eagerly awaiting potential customers. I decided to walk the lot and check out the new vehicles. The used lot was to the left and new cars to the right (at least I assumed). On closer inspection there were just about 2 Corollas, 3 Camrys, 1 Avalon, 0 Highlanders, 3 Tacomas, 2 Tundras, 0 Sequoias, 0 Prius. The rest of the "new" cars were Certified Pre-Owned, or just Used Toyotas. The lot was full of used cars. I assume that one of the pressures on used car prices is Big Dealerships vacuuming up all of their name brands from locals and or selling the Rental Car Fleets. The US is headed quickly towards the end of the Soviet Union Flea Market phase of the "great reset".

    I'm buying another 100 ounces of Silver on the Dip today. Real money will be an important part of post reset commerce. Trade fiat for tangible assets as much as you are able.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just So, from what I have read on the wilds of the InterWeb, the Used Car situation is as you say. The interruption in computer chips apparently impacted a lot of new car manufacture, putting used cars at a premium. And (given the price of new cars) at this point holding on to a car as long as possible and putting the reserve into something tangible is indeed a prudent measure.

      Delete
  2. My mother-in-law in Florida says used cars are almost non-existent near her right now--hard to imagine there. I second Just So's recommendation re: fiat + tangible.For as long as we can.

    The buskers and pop-up businesses remind me of the economy in South Africa. Before we gloriously escaped New York State in the spring, we were seeing plenty of it on our streets--mostly of the musical kind, not anything as practical as auto detailing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caryn, I do not really drive by many car lots now since I have started working from home, but will make it a point to check one or two as I am able. Now I am curious.

      I have seen mobile auto detailing before, but usually it happens where they come to you and do it while you are working. The working out of a Big Box parking lot was new to me.

      Busking happens here too, but it is really not in our outer suburban area, and especially not in a strip mall. Perhaps going where the market is. The fact it was out of place is what prompted my curiousity.

      Delete
  3. My small town no longer has a used book store and I miss it. In its heyday, most paperbacks were a quarter a piece and if you brought in books to exchange, you could get credits and even better bargains. Hmm. That might be partly why it didn't survive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, there is a book store like this in my hometown still. They are not at a quarter, but they are very cheap. In their case, they are a non-profit for animals so they do not have a lot of the overhead a regular business does.

      Delete
  4. Here there are always people with signs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, here in the great urban environment, we have our regular round of sign holders at the intersections. But they are almost always single adults; I think there is the equivalent of a time share relationship for the regular panhandlers. The more family style signs - van or car parked over to one side, one parent with a sign out in front, other parent and children off to the side - only seems to happen in parking lots here. I never really thought about it before now, but it is different.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!