Monday, July 05, 2021

Chicory Coffee

 Among one of life's little truly great pleasures, which is not a necessity, is Cafe du Monde's Chicory Coffee:



Cafe du Monde, as you may recall, is a beignet and coffee shop located in New Orleans, Louisiana.  They originated in the French Quarter but have several local locations.  Prior to The Plague, I believe they were famous for being open 24 hours a day.  In a touch of irony, The Ravishing Mrs. TB and all of Na Clann  have been there.  I never have.

Beignets, which, if you have never had a fresh one, is a something similar to a doughnut with powdered sugar, except infinitely more delicious (and by that very definition, of course, only to be had occasionally). 

The selling point and uniqueness of their coffee derives from the fact that it coffee and chicory (Cichorium intybus var. sativum)which has been used as a coffee substitute for many years (coffee substitute, as it turns out, is a whole sub-category.  Who knew.) It makes for a very strong and stout cup of coffee (also used by brewers to infuse coffee flavors into porters).

Your average dark roast:


Cafe du Monde Coffee and Chicory.  The lighter flecks are the chicory root.


To be frank, I love this stuff.

I have to drink it in small doses, it is that strong (for me "small doses" means three cups or less).  But it has a deliciousness and flavor that regular coffee does not have.

They have made quite a market for themselves and it is available in a great many of our local grocery stores.  An added bonus is that the cans are actually still steel cans, and who cannot use a steel can or three about the homestead?

This shows up on my Christmas list every year.  It remains a constant favorite and something I quite carefully ration myself out on.

10 comments:

  1. The company named after a river in South America will be dropping off the coffee at our door on Wednesday.

    You had me at, "...very strong and stout cup of coffee.."

    Forrestal was orbiting Cyprus during the mid seventies hostilities and the ship ran out of sugar and creamer for coffee messes.
    I've been a black coffee drinker since then.
    If you can see the bottom of the cup, you've already failed.

    (The preceding was typed while my mental voice was speaking in a terribly over the top Cajun accent. Please read it using your own variation of a Cajun accent. :)"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, if I have contributed nothing else but this to your life, I have done a good deed. If you like strong coffee, you will love it (I may or may not drink it with the same voice in my head...).

      I, too, am a black coffee drinker. Someone long ago pointed out that sugar in coffee is just creating a hot surface and then giving heated syrup the chance to attack my tooth enamel all the more.

      Delete
  2. I have had it; but sadly can't enjoy it that strong.

    Fresh beignets are wonderful. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, The Ravishing Mrs. TB has the same reaction. I have to remember to warn her when we have it so she can dilute it appropriately.

      It has been a very long time since I have a fresh beignet. We bought their boxed mix once, but it was not quite the same (really, not the same at all).

      Delete
  3. CDM, French Market and other coffees with Chicory do not have to be consumed strong. They will dilute to the strength required very nicely. The strength is in the coffee not the Chicory. That is a widely held myth. Chicory balances the acidity so you get a smooth cup - unlike that acidic swill at Starbucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the reminder Stuart - I believe the can even says serve au lait - although I only ever drink it straight. I did not know about the function of the chicory.

      I only drink Starbucks when traveling. You are correct, it is highly acidic.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous11:14 AM

    Have you tried Community Coffee, product of Baton Rouge? Lots of varieties but I stick with coffee & chicory. Reasonably priced and frequently on sale, 12 oz. for $3.99. Want it stronger? Add more coffee, to same amount of water. Give it a try. I've been pleased for the last 5 or 6 years. Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia, I have not - but now that I know, I will definitely look for it. Thank you for the recommendation!

      Delete
    2. I concur. Community w/ Chicory is not quite the equal of the afore mentioned brands but very good at about half the cost and still miles ahead of everything else. After all Community is the national coffee of Louisiana.

      Delete
    3. Stuart, between your and Julia's recommendation, I shall take this as gospel. It appears that it is sold at my local supermarket so I will definitely give it a try!

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!