Friday, October 09, 2020

The Decline And Fall Of The Movie Theater

 I cannot precisely remember the first movie that I saw in a theater.

 Giving it some thought and going through what my memories were, my guess it is was sometime in the early seventies as the films that most likely qualified - Herbie Rides Again, Escape From Witch Mountain, Robin Hood - were all about that time period and are all ones I remember seeing in the theater (and, of course, all were Disney - who else was there back in the day?).  

 Theaters back in the day, as you might remember if you were of an age, feel into two categories: the local home town theater with its one screen or an assembly of theaters which only happened in large cities and were several screens together (you may lived in a city where they had one of the fine old theaters from the 30's and 40's, but it was not so amongst us hill folk).  It was an experience.

 The year I remember everything changing was 1977, when I convinced my mother to take to that big multi-screen theater complex to see Star Wars (oh, how I had to beg).  Movies became both more plentiful and less remarkable after that.

 I write this, because in the past period of time this week I have seen three different news items of note:  the first two relating to two major theater chains (of which even I have heard) in financial trouble, one "temporarily" shutting down and the other saying they have limited funding left, and another in which an industry group states they believe up to 70% of smaller theaters will fail.

Much like the home rental business, we may be watching the end of an era.

The movie theaters are not completely to blame, of course.  Their model, built on being  the only method of distribution of content, has been undercut for years now by the encroachment of television, the afore mentioned home videos, and digital distribution.  The Plague of 2020 and resulting fears of contamination have meant they were closed for longer than expected and now, once open, are not frequented by patrons.  And finally, the distribution well has gone dry:  The blockbusters are not being released - good heavens, thanks to The Plague they are not being made at all.  And those that exist and are ready to be launched keep being pushed farther and farther back in launch dates in hopes that all will be back "to normal" and they can approach something like a launch weekend's income.

Of course, theaters do hold some blame too.  Ticket prices - in case you have not been lately - are exorbitant.  Snack costs are ludicrous, as perhaps they always were.   And theater experience is essentially as it has ever been - the chairs may be wider, the sound better, the color sharper, but people still talk loudly and walk between you at inconvenient moments.  

The trifecta of lack of content, lack of customer base, and lack of technology are all coming together to create a self-repeating set of circumstances:  without a clear health path, many people will not come at all; without content, people will not come to see nothing; with technology and movies that can be accessed for $14.95 a month at home,  less people will come at all.

 I highly suspect at some point (Disney tried this with Mulan but was not as successful as they hoped), studios will just stop releasing to theaters at all and go directly to the home.  The movie theater - except as a much smaller niche market - will be gone.

It is unfortunate for the workers there, of course.  Any job loss is.  The usual platitude will be said - The Plague, technology, changing tastes, etc.  But they will be gone and in a generation - like the home video store workers of my generation - will remember the days when they worked in the great house of Movies.

 Some of the theaters - the old ones, the classic ones - may maintain their status or be converted into some other kind of theater.  Those that are embedded in other structures - strip malls or malls themselves - will be converted (so long as those continue to exist) into some other forum.  

But I suspect that we will see - in our cities and suburbs - large structures surrounded by parking lots with glass holders where posters once stood and ticket booths where people once congregated, standing alone and untouched with "for sale" signs in front, titans of an age when we saw getting together to watch flickering lights a way to pass the time. 

 Post Script:  After writing this meditation (but before it posted), I found reference to an article:  "Wonder Woman 1984 director warns movies theaters face extinction".  So it is not just me.

 Interestingly, the director's suggestion is not that the movie industry find ways internally to support theaters in their time of need.  Instead, the suggestion is that the government (really, the taxpayers, because that is where the money is coming from) offer support  until such time as they can get back on their feet.

 To be clear: An industry which has made literally billions in revenue and tax incentives suggests that the taxpayers support its major distribution network with their money until such time as said taxpayers can start paying the industry with their money instead of the industry that benefits from this distribution network supporting them in their time of need.

It is not often that I am offended by a response, but in this case I find myself so.

14 comments:

  1. Like you, I don't remember the exact one that was my first but the one I have earliest memories of was also Star Wars but was the Empire Strikes Back. Coincidentally, the last three movies I have seen in a theater were introducing my kids to Star Wars episodes 7, 8 & 9.

    I pretty much stopped going to the movie theaters in the early 90's unless I had a date to go with me. By the time I was married, the VHS rental market was booming and it suited my tastes of watching a movie in peace without having to listen to the person behind me unwrap their candy one piece at a time, much better. I wouldn't have gone back to see those final Star Wars movies with my children if it weren't for the nostalgia factor.

    Despite the nostalgia, I don't want to financially support every industry that doesn't change with the times. Our local library comes to mind as it becomes an increasing drain on tax dollar finances with all the computers, internet access, movies, and even fishing gear it allows one to check out for free while it keeps deleting sections of books to make way for all that. I gave up on it over a decade ago when they reduced my section of books to one shelf of books and everything else went in the dumpster to expand their computer café.

    What puzzles me is that I've read several articles on the re-emergence of drive-in theaters. Really? It must be nostalgia driving that too because all I can remember are either getting eaten alive by bugs through the open windows, sweating profusely with closed windows or suffering frostbite depending on the season, speakers that cut out during the middle of the movie, or if the need arose, a much much longer walk to the restroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed - I have been to a handful in the last decade, some blockbusters - the last of the Marvel Films, Frozen II (at the insistence of my family) - and some of my own choosing, such as Godzilla King of Monsters (which was my Father's Day gift and insisted my family go with me). Like you, if not for my family, likely I would have not gone to see them there - I am not so much of a film connoisseur that big screens and loud sound makes it better.

      It does betray a mindset, does it not? Your suggestion of the library is an excellent one. Growing up, the public library was a place of wonder and excitement that I regularly went too all through high school for both study and personal reading. When we moved to New Home, I went to the library and found it as you did: much more sparse on books and filled with other things. In our case, our public city library instituted a practice where if you did not live in the tax district, you had to pay $150 a year to check out books (in my day, we called that "membership charges". We have a library now through our Municipal Utility District that is no less stocked than the other one and we pay nothing for.

      (As I side note, this is why I own so many books. I long ago discovered that most libraries do not stock the books I desire.)

      I think the drive in craze is simply that, a fad. It is people desperate to get out and do things. In some very limited temperature conditions it will stick; in most others it will die back to a nostalgia driven and novelty item. Although cars are probably overall much better to sit in than 30 plus years ago when I went and the sound now comes through your radio instead of hooking up a speaker, it still does not sound like one could focus on the film.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous12:24 PM

    I think what has really set movie attendees teeth on edge is re-writing old stories with current 'woke' culture. Where the main character is now changed to someone completely unrecognizable.

    I agree - the movie theatre may become a relic of the past. Its a pity though - some movies are far better experienced in a large screen and speaker format.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, the rehashing of every old story in a remake is, on the one, hand a sign of lack of creativity. It is also a sign that the boom/bust cycle of movies - that every movie now needs to be a blockbuster in order to be profitable (e.g. successful). Which is part of the reason the movie industry has ended up in the place that it is. I remember when The Blair Witch Project came out - everyone was shocked that it cost only made $60,000 to make (and netted $248 million overall).

      I have some small hope for the small screen movies now - there are some interesting science fiction shorts I have seen on The Tube of You that were entertaining. Maybe the industry can get back to more profitable movies - if they are willing to take chances.

      Delete
    2. I agree with Anon. I have just had it with the rainbow crowd and the vibrants in movies. If those are going to be what’s on offer, I have no cause to go.

      Delete
    3. Glen, I think it is fair to say that if people made good stories and viewed the movies as less of a vehicle of the currently preferred social view, the industry would not find itself in the position it is. Even people as dull as I can understand what the underlying message of any movie is.

      Delete
    4. Agreed. For me, it goes deeper. This verges on politics so feel free to delete it. But... consider:

      When you destroy a a people, you don’t just defeat them in battle. You tear down their monuments, their language, their art and culture, their stories and legends... and supplant your own. I am seeing a pattern going on here that I don’t like, and I’ll leave it at that.
      If I may indulged in more dangerous thoughts: why don’t these people have their own stories. For those that do... why do you have no interest in them?

      The entertainment industry is in trouble from a changing marketplace... but there are other dark forces acting on it too.

      Delete
    5. Glen, without violating my general policies, I think it is fair to say this: the destruction - morally, culturally, historically - of a nation of people or a state has been a long practiced policy of nations, states, and empires (to be honest with you, I thought about this as I out working and I think it is worthy of a post of its own). And I would actively concur that this is largely occurring in many ways right now.

      My consideration to those who are doing so is simply this: History demonstrates you cannot destroy the center and keep the shell. The great failure of Justinian to recapture the Western Roman Empire was that things were as they had been - however, the growth of the Germanic kingdoms in in Italia, Hispania, and and Tripolitania meant that while the buildings and people were there, the structures that had upheld them were severely weakened to the point that ultimately it could not be recreated. The West dissolved into the states of Medieval Europe.

      I suspect the center will not hold. Again, history suggests this makes for a short lived victory at best followed by, as the saying goes A Rather Unfortunate Set of Circumstances.

      Delete
  3. My first movie that I can remember was " How Green was my Valley" with Maureen O'Hara. It used to be so exciting to get to go to the Saturday Matinee to watch something like a Roy Rogers western. Wednesdays was free dish night many families eventually got a whole set of dishes. Even small town movie houses were beautiful with uniformed ushers with flashlights to guide your way. They would shuss anyone that spoke too loudly, too. Listen or get kicked out. They always had a newsreel and coming attractions, too. People were more civil then, I think. More respectful. I miss those times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tewshooz - I have seen this movie (to be fair, on the small screen). I am old enough to remember a form of the Saturday Matinee in my home town (movies were $1.25 or some such).

      The rest of what you describe is an era which, sadly has passed. You are correct, people were more civil and more respectful. It is something that we have lost as a society.

      Delete
  4. Being a few years older, I have fond 1950's memories of my parents popping a grocery bag of popcorn at home, loading up a station wagon full of kids and going to the drive-in. I've long been a fan of Joe Bob Briggs and his tirades against "hard tops" (what he called theaters) and that movies were meant to be seen from the privacy of your automobile.
    There are two exceptions that could entice me now into a theater. One is the IMAX format--the scale is astounding and simply cannot be done in a smaller venue. The other is the "Live in HD" broadcast of the Metropolitan Opera. Here on the west coast, they generally start at 10:00 am on Saturdays (which is the 1:00 pm matinee at the Met), and again, the format is simply astounding. I never in my life dreamed that I could care about opera, until I saw it live at the Met in 2006. Those voices are unbelievable, and with live in HD, you get all the camera close-ups as well. Truly the way opera is meant to be experienced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg - I had not heard of Joe Bob Briggs describing them as such, but it is an interesting idea. Certainly the automobile has certain advantages - the shared seats, for example - that a theater does not.

      To be fair, I have never seen an IMAX movie. The expense has always kept me away - or perhaps instead, my interest in the movie has been insufficient to entice me to spend the money.

      I have never seen an opera, but perhaps will some day. That certainly sounds very enticing.

      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. A thought..... do you think that this would end the 'celebrity culture', or at least reduce the need for stardom, fame, and fortune, which people seem to aspire to nowadays, thinking that it is a way to make a quick buck?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vera - Hmmm. I think perhaps it changes it instead of ending it.

      Humans always seem to need to have someone to admire and aspire to. Once upon a time it was the ruling class that set this bar, that were the "celebrities" of their day. We transferred that largely to the entertainment and sports culture mostly (I would guess) by a combination of the elimination of the ruling class as something to be imitated (the lords and ladies of medieval times or 18th Century were something to aspire to; our current crop of politicians, less so) and the growth and ubiquity of mass media - radios, movies, television, even the InterWeb now bring us into contact with these "celebrities".

      What I do think it changes is that the decline of movies (and sports) will change the mechanism of how this happens. Movie and sports may dwindle as the vehicle by which this occurs. We are already seeing it now: InterWeb stars powered by The Tube of You and other social media outlets that have created followings for themselves completely removed from any major entertainment or sports venue. This, I trow, is the way of the future.

      Not that they will have any better sense, unfortunately...

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!