Saturday, October 10, 2020

The Decline And Fall Of The Service Economy

 If The Plague of 2020 has demonstrated anything to us, it is the inherent weakness of the Service based economy.

For those of you that have been in some sort of economics class in the last 35 years, you will remember the progression:  herding, agriculture, handcrafting, guilds, industrial, service.  The service economy represented the upper echelon of development for any economy.  It was the apotheosis of the worker:  freed from the drudgery of blue collar and farm labor and relieved of having to do everything by hand, the worker would enjoy the fruits of modern technology, avoiding risk of injury and burnout so prevalent with those other "old fashioned" models.

 And then The Plague of 2020 arrived with all the subtlety of a hurricane.

 We have learned a few things about the nature the Service economy now.  The first, and perhaps most important, is the word "service" can easily be redefined as "non-essential".  This was discovered by (literally) millions as their jobs, effectively determined to be "likely to spread disease" by the way the were treated, were summarily removed from their ability to work by their companies or their local and state governments.  Apparently, their services were not required.

The second thing we learned - which in fact, I suspect we secretly knew all along - was that the service economy was very dependent on people desiring and being able to access services.  Take away the ability to spend on services - like restaurants and entertainment - or prevent them from using them by locking customers and clients away from each other and while the need and desire may still have been there, the ability to actuate that need or desire was gone.  And without access to those services, those services went out of business.

The third thing we learned - which I do not think many people anticipated - is how many services are really desires more than needs.  Entertainment comes to mind as the clearest example of how when the service was shut down, people realized they did not need it.  The decline in the ability to go out and shop has been replaced by the ability to order our shopping in.  Even I occasionally need new articles of clothing:  I do not need to go to the store to get them anymore as they can be delightfully delivered to my door.

Which brings us to the things most people have not learned - but will.

The first thing that people will learn - well, really be reminded of more than learn for most - is that the future belongs to people who are considered either "essential"  or in a position where the question of "essential/non-essential" no longer applies.  If you provide a skill or service or item that is needed, you have a greater change of retaining an income (not guaranteed of course, just greater).  And if you do so in a way that is not dependent on someone else providing you the ability to exercise that skill or service or make that item, so much the better.

The second thing that people will learn - and the lesson is already out there for anyone paying attention - is that in the question of essential and non-essential, service and non-service, automation is supreme and more and more coming into its own.

Industrial robots have been around long enough that most of us take them for granted.  But more and more now, service related "robots" are coming into our daily lives.  For a great many on-line activities now, an algorithm - a form of robot - will answer basic questions for you, track your packages, allow you to make reservations, give you cash at an ATM.  And now, with the rise of The Plague and a desire reduce the risk of transmission, I predict (to be fair, it is not a stretch) that this trend will continue.  The food server, already on the decline, may very well be replaced by a combination of ordering via a tablet or online and being brought to you via robot.  And I predict (again, not a stretch) that I will see a fully automated restaurant in my lifetime.  The great thing about robots is that they work through night, day, disease, and will likely never be considered "non-essential".

There are, of course, ways to exploit all of this:  career paths that will continue to be useful or new ones based on trends such as these, learning to simply live more by what we can make and trade and barter and less by what we need to purchase, or simply becoming indispensable to someone or some organization.  But the writing, I think, is clearly on the wall:  If we have not entered the Post-Service economy, we are on the brink of doing so.

Sadly, like most economic changes, I fear many will be caught in the headlights.
 

8 comments:

  1. There is an aspect of robotics that I see insufficiently addressed: the screaming need for service engineers. Do you know a little kid who likes to take things apart to see what makes them tick? GIVE THAT KID A TOOL KIT FOR CHRISTMAS!!!
    I spent 38 years in medical technology, started out doing chemistry in test tubes. My latter fifteen or so years morphed into troubleshooting electro-mechanical systems. I had a knack for troubleshooting, and parlayed that small talent into computers and instruments until I did little else.
    Ever since Luke Skywalker kicked a 'droid and called it an idiot ("Uncle Owen, this droids got a bad motivator") I've realized that droids are idiots and rarely can tell you what's wrong with them. Granted, our droids are bolted to the floor and don't wander around loose, but that era is upon us as you note TB.
    So people will lose jobs to robotics, if their job is simple enough to automate. But WHO'S GOING TO FIX THE ROBOTS?
    As an aside, when our main robotics line was being installed, there were a dozen or so engineers bolting it together. I asked them all one question: "Did you have an Erector set as a kid?" The ONLY one who didn't just said "I was into model rockets instead."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg - Great reference to Star Wars!

      Robotics will be, I suspect, the next great "blue collar" job (I say blue collar with all respect - to your point, I can see professional certifications and degrees in it). It is a bit on the early side yet but we are rapidly going there. Were I a younger man and had decisions to make, I would be looking at robotics or the trades for an income that will either remain or grow.

      We have a glut of programmers now, more than the market can probably absorb. Robotics engineers, on the other hand, still have a long way to go.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I remember listening to Larry Burkett's radio program many years ago, and his description of the US as a service nation. Except he didn't make it sound like a desirable position to be in at all. Things have changed in unpredictable ways since he passed away, but he did hit quite a few nails on their heads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh - How funny, I was thinking of Larry Burkett this very day as I was going through my bookshelves. I have some of his books. I still have the "The Coming Economic Earthquake". Although it is old (1990's) I still look to his signs for the final cracks in the economy.

      A service nation is, in my opinion, not a great place to be either. It would seem we are involved in an entire shell game, passing tokens between ourselves. The difficulty is that we do not make the tokens and, eventually, they will be consume.

      Delete
  3. I generally abstain from the internet over the weekend unless my family is away and I'm left at home so I'm just now reading this. It is very well written and contains a lot of points I have been thinking on for quite awhile. What I can't seem to figure out is if this is the post service society, what exactly will this society be label as? I haven't been able to come up with a satisfying answer to that question but maybe we aren't supposed to. Perhaps that is the role of the society after this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, first of all thanks for the compliment. In lieu of this being a paid line of work, it is comforting to know I can fully express myself in text (occasionally, anyway).

      I have a thought that we might label it "The Value Economy". I still have to run this to ground in my mind a bit, but it seems to me that what is paid for more and more now is "value". Value can take a number of different definitions according to the individual (intrinsic value, social value, personal value) which makes a bit more dodgy in defining, but I think that may be the core of it.

      A simple example is that of the "delivery service" for meals these days. The cost of the delivery is probably equal to that of going and getting the meal one's self; the value is measured the time not driven or the fact one does not have to leave their home.

      I have to think on this more.

      Delete
  4. The Value Economy certainly hits home for me. I always pegged it on just being more affluent than when I was younger but I tend to pay more for things of higher value than continually buying, discarding and replacing with things of lesser value. Likewise, that is why I like building furniture instead of buying presswood pieces that I have to assembly myself. Interesting. Off the top I like that name but like you, will have to think on it some more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, in a way it looks back to an earlier time but with a different estimation of value.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!