Wednesday, October 14, 2020

On Intentional and Unintentional Cessation

 One day, as the InterWeb meme goes,  you and your friends went outside to play for the last time without realizing it.

I cannot specifically remember the date, but I can remember the time:  the summer between my 8th grade and Freshman year.  My best friend, who lived literally 300 feet away, had a five lot in back of his house, a hilly sort of thing with brush and trees, overgrown, with a drainage ditch running through part of it.  It was perfect for two boys with imaginations and time.  For several years we would tear through the brush, make war on each other, "practice" tracking, make trails and forts and plans.

Two things happened at that point: high school, which for me ended up meaning band and drama and schoolwork and for him meant soccer and schoolwork, and games, video and roleplaying.  Suddenly time spent outside was replaced (when we could cobble it together) playing Atari or Dungeons and Dragons.  We occasionally still went outside, but it was never the same.

It makes me realize that in life, the number of things we unconsciously never do again greatly outweighs the ones we consciously end.

The conscious endings are often understandable: the coworkers we will likely never see as we move across the country, the sport we "retire" from because we become too old or too broken.  In some cases it is the passing of the torch:  the matron who surrenders her holiday meal preparation to the younger generation or the patron who gives his prized possession - a gun, a knife, a vehicle, a lease on a cabin or fishing right - to the next generation.  

The unconscious endings are the sadder part by far.

The unconscious endings are the ones we never see coming.  They are things that perhaps we intended to do someday again - things that we perhaps loved - but somehow the circumstances never present themselves to do them again.  It is the musician who never plays, the athlete who no longer participates, the friend or family we have not seen for years.  We never really intended to stop doing these things, yet somehow we continue to keep not doing them.

Sometimes, of course, it simply is time:  I cannot go back and somehow pretend I have the interest or stamina to do some of these things.  Sometimes it is interest, which is harder because I think if asked most people would not say "Well, I have completely given up on that".  There is something about us that does not like the words of concept of "giving up".  Things leave us; we do not leave things.

What it should do - what it very occasionally does for me if I am paying attention - is make me more conscious of those activities that I am in and doing.  It is hard to think about doing something for the last time except when you think that it might be the last time that you do it.  Constantly bearing this in mind can give a piquancy to the activity, a certain flavor and bite, that just doing it the way you have always done will not.  

If you think it might be the last time, you will spend more time trying to enjoy it.

A few years ago, on a whim, I drove by the old property to see it.  There is at least one additional house there but most of the brush and trees are present and from the road I could still see the trench where we looked out over the invading hordes.

If there ghosts from times past running in the forest, they ran in the woods far away from the road beyond my ability to see.

16 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:13 AM

    My childhood Play Time with neighborhood kids turned to fishing for the most part. Only one of them was a constant companion - we both enjoyed fishing more than the others. Then a few years later, his family moved away and it was just me and my Brother. I don't regret a single bit of it - am blessed in fact. In this day and age, the canal no longer supports fish. The orange / grapefruit orchard that bordered it is no longer, it is a city park. Progress they call it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, much of my experience is the same. The forest portion I reference is relatively the same, but everywhere we used to run or travel to is built up with homes or fenced off or otherwise inaccessible. It is called progress, I suppose, because we do not have another word for it.

      Delete
  2. "The unconscious endings are the sadder part by far."

    My last easy summer was between 6th and 7th grade. There were the usual chores, but watching Match Game, Password, and all the morning game shows was fun. Next summer, we moved, painting, packing, etc. Then a chance meeting with a neighbor, "that boy looks strong, will he work?" I've held a job ever since.

    Playing intramural basketball was so much fun... The last game of my senior year, I ran onto the court after telling the "coach" I was playing my last game. I left it all on the floor. I was worn to a nub. I don't remember if we won or lost now, but I remember playing my heart out. Knew that was it.

    But the most bittersweet was last anniversary. We went to Pensacola to go to the beach. White sand, she loved the water, the shells, the food. Then right after my injury this spring, she left. I'm still not sure if it was the antidepressants or just her inner demons... Our anniversary was very quiet this year. I cooked t-bones on the grill and ate with my oldest son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. StxAR - It is funny you mention sports. The last team sport I played was in 8th grade (basketball). I have not played a team sport since then, and only started Highland Games something like 30 years after that event.

      The ones you describe in your last paragraph are the worst, the wounds that we now suffer and looking back we can pinpoint a moment in time where that was the last time...the last time we had a non-combative holiday as a family or the last time we enjoyed a family vacation. I grieve for your pain.

      Delete
    2. It got dusty in here. Thanks TB. That means alot to me.

      Delete
    3. You are more than welcome. We old ones have to stick together.

      Delete
  3. There's a mountain bike trail in the hills on the south side of our town, the peak of which is marked by a large wooden cross, made from railroad ties. I call it the Southern Cross trail... go figure... It's steep, challenging, and, on the downhill side, fun. At one point, when I was around 48, I was riding that trail and wondered what it would be like when I could no longer ride it, and could only look at where I was once able to go. Years have passed. I'm sidling up to age 60. The bike still sees use, though not on the Southern Cross. I don't remember the last time I rode the trail, but it would BE the last time. Truth is, I could probably still ride that trail, but would regret it the next day. Truth also is, I just don't feel the need to ride it. Life is just that way. We not only grow vertically, but by the degrees of the compass rose, changing direction along the way. Are there times, places, and people I miss? Indeed, yes, but I experienced those times, knew those people, and saw those places. We've gone where we've gone, and have done what we've done. We've lived. Time is not ours to keep. The memories and experiences, however, will follow us to eternity...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete you make a good point: sometimes the last experience becomes that because the next last experience will be so miserable (or painful or unfortunate) that it will cloud the memories of all the good times we had doing those things.

      There are people from my past who the nostalgic side of me would want to look up - but what if I did? 20,30 40 years have intervened and how they are in my mind is not, I am certain, how they would actually be. In that sense, time has moved on and those memories also are better left in the stream of our consciousness.

      Delete
  4. I have spent a lot of time thinking about unconscious endings in my life but not with sadness. Rather I think about them as warm memories as I strive to write them out on paper (or typed into a computer) and preserve them for some time to come. What I really love is how a memory tends to mellow and age like a fine bourbon and my stories tend to get better with repeated tellings.

    The ones that haunt me though are the last conversations with people. Had I known it would be the last, I would have said different things, perhaps more things. The last words I spoke to my mom was that I love her and she was able to hoarsely tell me she loved me too. I went home and took a shower but before I got back she slipped into a comma never to awake again. I'm glad those were my last words to her but I sure wish I could have said more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed - I do not know that I have paid attention to the ending of things quite like I should have. I will say that the best stories are indeed the ones shared with friends and mellowed with age and perhaps a little bit of fuzzy remembering.

      I understand the feeling. My interactions with all of my grandparents at the end was not what I would have wished it to be - but as you say, you do not know. It certainly gives one thought to learning to express one's self more fully, or at least waste less time on less important things.

      Delete
  5. Your post today pulled me up short and sadness came over me. (I know, bad grammar.) I never thought of these things that way before. Now I will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry if it caused you sadness Tewshooz. That was not the intent. Perhaps, at least for myself, it is a way of dealing with the past and hopefully guiding me towards choosing my interactions and actions more decisively in the future.

      Delete
  6. My last whatever...

    When I sold the old homestead, that was it. I'd never sleep there again, never eat there again, and friends and family would never congregate for a holiday meal at that house ever again. Not all the memories are pleasant, so I did what I've done for years. I shook the dust off my heels and told myself not to bemoan a change - because you never know about the days ahead. They may well be better than what you've got now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is fair, Jack. I think my point would be that you did exactly what I am advocating (to myself) to do: made a reasoned decision as to when the thing was done, let it end, and then moved on. You realized that at some point this would be the last time you would open this door, shut that window, enjoy this view.

      And truly, sometimes things really do change for the better. Not all cessations are bad.

      Delete
  7. raven5:18 AM

    What a wonderful,poignant thought provoking post, and comments.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raven - You are very welcome, and thank you so much for making the time to stop by.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!