Thursday, October 29, 2020

The Time Of The Review

Last week, a notification popped into my e-mail box at work:  "Annual Review".

If you remember from earlier this year, my review process was...well, a little stressful to say the least.  And here it is - something like seven months later - with the next review already cued up and ready to go.

Thanks to our continuing adaptation of technology,  there are no more handwritten reports or Word documents.  Everything is conveniently recorded in the online payroll program.  Just open the link, fill out the four boxes explaining accomplishments, weaknesses, challenges, and areas of growth for the next year - and click the submit button.  Your review will be whisked away into the bowels of the program to be assessed, review, and filed.

Having spent something like 20+ years completing reviews, it seems both easier and yet somehow more impersonal at the same time.

I checked in with my local assigned Human Resources representative to ask "What should I review?"

If you think about it, at best the review covers 10 months, 2 of which I was performing my old job (until I was moved into another position), 3 of which was essentially "managing the store" until my replacement showed up, 1 of which was transitioning time and information, and then really only 4 that were "doing my new job".    Which of these do I review?

And more importantly, which of these is really meaningful?

Everything that happened prior to the end of June is, at this point, ancient history in a meaningful way, irrelevant except that things did not fall apart - there is no way, I suppose, to "rate" something as bland as "Did you make sure that the department could be turned over to someone else?" And really, the last four months has been a learning exercise to makes sure that I am getting the basics of my job right.

The most difficult mental part, though, is the actual rating process:  How do you think you did?

I badly misjudged it last year, or at least I badly misjudged it vis-a-vis how others saw that I did.  This makes one almost instinctively want to rate one's self down if for no other reason that I do not want to go through the same experience twice.  It is easier - although is it more honest? - to say I "partially" met expectations, both for my own piece of mind as well as the humility (real or felt) that I apparently cannot really judge my ability to assess my work.

Rating one's self that way runs the risk, of course, that it is really true or really perceived as true.  And too many years of "partially meets" puts one in the bucket where few, if any, good things ever happen.

Perhaps it could be defined as a crisis of confidence.  That is probably fair, I suppose - given everything that has happened, I would not blame anyone else if they came to this year's review with trepidation and a general reluctance to take any action at all.  

To some extent, it plays into the wider range of career growth and advancement for whatever time I have remaining in the workforce - at this point in my career development and path, the thought that anything magical is going to come from a review has evaporated.  Which, to be honest, is fine - my days of managing others are gone and to be frank, I have no desire for them to return.

It does make me wonder though:  will this sense of mild dread continue to present itself every year at this time for the inevitable review, or does it settle back into the dull ache of duty that reappears every year, waiting to be completed and then slip into the electronic files, never to have meaning again?

6 comments:

  1. When I rate myself, I look at the requirements, note where I met or exceeded them, then where I needed improvement. I'll also put in my own expectations, and where I fell on those. I rough draft every writing exercise.

    If it were me, I'd rate the whole 10 months, including holding the fort successfully as the replacement was brought on, managing the training/transition, and the current duties, to include successfully navigating the virus debacle. I lose every bit of my normal self-effacement when it comes to selling myself. I'm a high dollar hooker for my company. I'm easy, but I'm not cheap. Don't sell yourself short.

    When I hit my head, I was worried that my performance would falter. I hold myself to very high standards. My co worker told me, after a couple months back, that me at 10% was better than 100% from other team members, so shut up and quit worrying. I took his advice, and it rested my mind. I offer the same to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks STxAR. I am taking part of your advice and at least acknowledging the transfer went well (which it did) and that I held the department together through the job search. I am effectively restarting my career, so not a great deal to "sell" at the moment other than nothing failed. Maybe next year I can be more bold.

      My boss does consistently tell me I am doing fine, so I have that feedback. I just struggle to believe it.

      Delete
  2. The feeling of "mild dread" never left for me, even when I was working part-time after retiring. I still couldn't convince myself that it didn't really matter. Interestingly, my younger colleagues never stressed about their reviews; think it's because we were raised with a different work ethic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sbrgirl - Generational does have something to do with it - as I noted in Ed's comment below, once upon a time "Meets Expectations" was considered the minimum, the "C" of the review process. It is now being emphasized as being more than that.

      For me at least, a review represented your only ability to move up and forward (or alternatively, not get fired or demoted). And it stays on your permanent record as long as you are at the company - so yes, I can understand the concern even after it "did not matter".

      Delete
  3. I hated reviews because like you, I was wise enough to know that nothing really came from them other than being a first sort if layoffs had to occur. As a result, I always gave myself the highest rating possible. My boss would give me the same speech every year about how nobody can be perfect. I would give the same return speech about how the only person that this really mattered too was behind the desk with my review in his hand and as long as he was consistent, I really didn't care what number he stuck behind each task.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, it is always a careful dance: Rate yourself too high and you almost always get dropped to a lower bracket (as I have often heard, "We cannot all exceed expectations"), rate yourself too low and it might stick.

      One interesting thing that I have seen happening more lately is a move to clear define that "meets expectations" is considered a good rating. Once upon the time this was the expectation - I do not wonder if they are trying to end run the curve.

      It all gets complicated by the process as well: my review gets reviewed by my boss, and by his boss, and then by HR, and everyone has to agree. I am fortunate that my management structure is very fair right now (no real concern of repeating last year's review experience), but given everything that has happened I have little anticipation that anything meaningful comes out of it - other than, I suppose, confirmation I am on the right track. Which might be enough this time.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!