Sunday, October 04, 2020

2020 Garden Update

 I am finally comfortable with the fact that Autumn has finally come - and with it, the approaching end of the summer garden.

Tomato plant is about done, but the sweet potatoes are still putting on vines.  I think next year I may skip tomatoes entirely and go with store bought for preserving.


My jalapenos staged a comeback:

Both kinds of okra grew.  I mostly save seeds - I may some this year roasted and ground as coffee (it is supposed to be a substitute


On the bright side, the Egyptian Walking onions have thrive beyond believe!  Very hopeful for a good harvest.


Seed order done today - more onions, spinach, lettuce, leeks (two varieties), and beets  I will also plant garlic as well as see what is in the magical drawer of saved seeds for winter.



8 comments:

  1. Tomatoes seemed to struggle more this year than before. Nice to see the rest of your garden pressing on. Hopefully, an early frost won't take an early toll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, for whatever reason we have (in the 11 years we have been here) not been prone to a frost before late November. 2020 being what it has been, I would never say never, but I am hopeful.

      I kid myself, of course. Next year I will be back at it with some other tomato variety "Just to see if it works"...

      Delete
  2. We had a great tomato harvest hear and put away enough for two years, probably three. Next year we will just plant enough for personal on the spot consumption and focus on other crops.

    I've never heard about okra being a substitute for coffee. I don't drink the latter stuff because I've never acquired the taste but I do enjoy okra fried, pickled and in gumbo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great Ed! I had a good tomato harvest 12 to 14 years ago before we moved. I am just not doing something right here.

      I do enjoy okra in those forms as well. Unfortunately I am more or less the only one in my house. Okra is amazingly productive here, so I am always looking for alternate uses.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous7:53 PM

    For anybody that has any type of garden I highly recommend watching (for free) www.BackToEdenFilm.com

    It will completely change the way you garden. Sooooo much easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous - I have heard of the film before. Thank you for the recommendation!

      Delete
  4. Nice! We just finished our 2nd garden expansion of the year. I don;t know what I used to do with all of my time before gardening...oh wait. Video Games. yes, thats it! Much happier having a Boss Battle with a squash these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In all fairness, some squashes require Boss Battles if you do not catch them soon enough...

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!