Tuesday, October 20, 2020

2020 October Walkabout

 Back at The Ranch for another week.  Took a walkabout this weekend.  This time we are going up on the hill above the Lower Meadow and then back down toward the creek:

View of The Lower Meadow


Walking up the Lower Meadow Hill:


This has been filled for as long as I can remember - it is an actual artesian spring.  There is talk of getting into the tank next year and seeing if there is any blockage:


Still walking up the hill:


On top of the hill and looking down:





The tank in the Lower Meadow is dry.  It always dries out, but will fill back up in the Winter:


This lone fruit tree has been here for probably 50 years.  I have no idea why it is here:


The man that runs cattle on the property has slowly been clearing out the blackberries.  You can barely see the fence post.



On the road:



The creek is still fairly full:



10 comments:

  1. What’s the weather like TB?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glen, we are into fall right now: around 25 C during the day and 15 C at night. It is varying from what I can see over the next 10 days from a high of 27 C to a nighttime low of 9 C. Rains usually start by the end of October.

      Delete
  2. We have this weed called juniper down here. In the hill country it's call cedar. I think it's a product of overgrazing in the old days. 30 years ago, there was talk of classifying some bird as endangered that lived in them. The bulldozers went to work with a vengence, and swaths of them were cut, dug up and burned. Springs that were known by the old ones, and written about in historical notes returned. I remember that no one realized how much water those evergreens pulled out of the ground.

    I hope your spring is just a misplaced rock, or a dirt plug... That place is beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR, I am familiar with the Hill Country Cedar (and its lovely outcome, Cedar Fever) - although I never understood why they called it a "cedar". Cedars are majestic trees. This is scrub brush. Juniper sounds better. I did not know it was due to overgrazing (but makes sense). The springs returning is really interesting.

      I am hopeful too. And thank you!

      Delete
  3. That property is a blessing to your family, TB.
    Be safe and God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is Linda. It is a privilege to be able to share this remotely.

      Delete
  4. One of my joys in life is going down to the farm, taking a walk and surveying my kingdom. I don't think I could survive living in a box 26 floors up on a street full of concrete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I could not do it either. Just living in an urban area seems like a prison enough.

      I can see stars here at night - really stars, not the paltry ones I can see from my urban light pollution.

      Delete
  5. Blue sky, no smoke!!! Woot! :-) But what did you do with the turkeys? No visit is complete without turkeys. heh!
    ~hobo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Extremely grateful for the blue skies Hobo.

      The turkeys were about the property, but for some reason were not coming up to the house. It is close to November - perhaps they are nervous...

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!