Friday, October 02, 2020

A Death Of Chivalry

 This is a hard post to write – as hard, I think, as any I have written. 

 Because it represents a change in thinking.  And it makes me sad.

Growing up, I was raised with a life full of the love of Chivalry. I originally loved the High Middle Ages, and this ended up extending not only to my historical reading but to my fantasy reading as well: Conan the Barbarian, John Carter of Barsoom and his almost clones, David Innes of Pellucidar and Carson Napier of Venus.

Among the many qualities I interpreted from these epics– honor, loyalty, fair play, charity – was the especial quality of chivalry towards service, of standing in the gap for those who were less able to defend themselves. The honor and glory of being of service, of protecting and defending and (if necessary) dying, was ingrained in my soul.

By my freshman year of high school, I was a hopeless romantic. Wolframm von Eschenbach, author of Parzival, could not have been more so.

I was that hopeless romantic for almost 8 years until my heart and spirit were sufficiently destroyed in a relationship such that it never, ever came back again. Done. Finished. With nary a whisper going forward. In that way, things became (perhaps sadly) much more pragmatic.

But the chivalry remained, at least as a principal and a code to live by. Even if the romanticism that had accompanied it had gone, the stain was deeply ingrained in my soul.

That over 30 years ago now.

And then, one day rather recently, I looked up. And looked around. And discovered that the world had changed.

There was, it seemed, no-one left to want defending. People would happily accept service, of course – but service in their causes, not service in sake of another. And everyone had become a bland melange of intermingled anger and rage. The general cast of things – the debasement of language and culture in how we spoke of ourselves and to each other, the greater willingness to engage in verbal violence or actual violence, the almost complete abandonment of anything involving a generally agreed upon societal code of conduct – had become the new operating paradigm. No matter how much I buried myself away or tried to see the best in things, the reality was that things had significantly changed – and were not coming back.

This belief system I held – of service, protection, honor,  loyalty, fair play, charity  – was dead. To all but me.

And so, I have to change.

I have a model, of course: Strength sports.

Strength sports is unique in the sense that while you can be jovial and collegial with your fellow athletes, when it comes to competition the iron, as they say, does not lie. 300 lbs is 300 lbs no matter who you are. Your ability to lift depends not on your sex (real or preferred), your opinions, your education, or beliefs. It dictated solely by your strength and skill. There is no illusion, no pretending, no kindness, no moving the curve that will change the fact that 300 lbs is 300 lbs. You can do it or you can not. And in that sense, there are no prisoners taken. If in throwing in Weight Above Bar and you fail to clear 14 feet, no one sheds a tear - nor do you.

Want to do better in Highland Athletics? Throw farther. Be less bad. Practice more.  

Want to lift heavier weights? Get stronger. Train more. 

Those are the only solutions that are offered or frankly even matter.

And so, this turning.

Nothing inherent or designed about you matters. Your results do. Cannot do what you think you should be able to do? Try harder, train more. Invoke someone’s wrath upon you by your words or actions? I will will not countenance physical harm, but will quietly let you make a mess of your life without intervening.

You own the actions, you own the consequences. And I judge on results and accomplishments: nothing more, nothing less.

Does this obliterate the need for kindness? Not at all. But kindness is extended equally, not more to some and not less to others based on any perceived old fashioned notion of who needs defending and who does not. And there is a limit to it – kindness is not another name for a suicide pact carefully described as “doing the right thing”.

My code of chivalry – honor, glory, service, fair play, charity – I now hold close to my heart and practice only to myself or a select group of others whom I choose to extend to instead of feeling obligated to. They remain my ideals and objectives, but there is no longer any obligation to extend them; that society has died.

You have desired a new world. You now have it. You will, I think, find it a cold and barren place (because results and accomplishments are as unyielding taskmasters as 300 lbs of iron) but that is now your business, not mine.

I will move on with my life in this new paradigm: sadder for certain, slightly colder and more distant to protect myself. I will keep my books and my memories of them and read them and think on happier times and how, in reality, this sort of thing now only exists in the imagination.



12 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:45 AM

    I have an autistic son who really enjoys bowling. When he is on his game, he is very happy but when it isn't working, he is frustrated and angry. I tell him HE is the one throwing the ball and he alone is responsible for the score bowled.

    "Throw it better or be angry - your choice".

    I too when younger was more easier to get along with. Then some lessons in dealing with people who take advantage of that colored my perspective. Saw a meme about a month ago that summed it up - BEING A GOOD MAN LONG AGO IS WHY I AM THE A*****E I AM TODAY.

    Sorry for profanity but the meaning is clear. Some people just have it in their mind to go around causing misery. Or maybe it is our weakness to let them change us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous - Thanks for the comment and for stopping by.

      One thing I am not sure of - perhaps worthy of deeper thought - is pondering how we did get here. In a way, the meme is probably rather indicative of it - smashed in the face by individuals or society as a whole, we change. Perhaps it is as a mode of survival, but we change. (No worries about the profanity - you wrote it precisely the correct way).

      There are people and social movements and belief systems active today whose sole purpose seems to be to bring as much misery and pain as possible, sometimes ostensibly in the name of "progress". When they "win" - when they seemingly change us - the feel they have had a victory.

      I am coming to believe differently. Like an underground river, it still exists in other ways and fashions, flowing beneath what is rapidly becoming a desert above. Those that dwell in the desertification cry out and thrash even more as the previously lush fields and forests of anything - tolerance, compassion, even economic plenty - dry out into a wasteland of what they perceive as uncaring, uncompassion, and selfishness. What I think the fail to realize is that their hands dug the channels to send the river underground - where the river flows underground and where it emerges (eventually) again from the earth, life abounds.

      Thank you for make me think so deeply.

      Delete
  2. We moved to the rural South four years ago; much to my surprise, chivalry seems to be alive and well here! And people of all ages are remarkably polite! It's refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sbr girl - I have spent considerable time of the fringes of the South (though not rural). I believe that as you get away from the urban centers, both chivalry and courtesy are much more alive. And even at The Ranch, which a more rural community, the same is true. Perhaps I have become jaded and ruined by living in an urban center for so long.

      Delete
  3. The loss of chivalry is only part of it. We are becoming dehumanized. It’s funny how certain people will attack you for living by old codes. And then, when you stop extendIng the benefits of those same codes to them... they whine about how mean you are.

    I think a lot of people are getting what they wanted now... good and hard. Maybe they’ll learn something from it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glen, concur. As I noted above, people have been living off the benefits of those codes without accepting that they are legitimate. Now they will have the privilege of living in a world with values just like theirs. I suspect they will not like it.

      Delete
  4. I've long bemoaned the fact that people no longer care further than themselves and it shows up everywhere in today's society. If people expanded their bubble to include concern for those around them, just a little bit, the world would be a much different and probably better place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are probably correct Ed, but at the same time - given my own experiences - I cannot blame the portion of the population that used to be different and now has changed their thinking. It is a reaction to the environmental stimulus of what has been building over the last 20 years.

      Delete
  5. I still have a cadre of folks I am willing to "go to the mat" for. Some I didn't know were such friends until recently.

    Some family is in that group. But you are correct, civil society isn't anymore. And as JP mentions time and again, you must come to terms with your inner beast to be truly complete. I know what I am capable of, it doesn't scare me, but I fear the loosing of it and what that portends....

    May God protect us from future I think I see coming....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed STxAR -it is not that those values have gone away, they have just become much more focused on a smaller group.

      The one thing everyone is counting on is everyone acting civilly. When that mask is finally torn away and everyone is reacting the way some are now, I think a great many people will be uncomfortably surprised.

      Delete
  6. I don't think chivalry is dead. I think it is hard to find but still exists. It is a code that I try to live by and try to help out others and be polite and protect those who cannot defend themselves...but it is a little of a dying breed. I like the though of being the change I seek and so I practice the things which I think would make everyone better..far from perfectly! It is also the guiding principle behind going offgrid. I did not want to talk about the things which needed changing, I wanted to be that change and move in a positive direction and be happy with myself as that is the only thing I can control..but in showing others how I am I am also attempting to change them. It seldom works though! ;). I am not sure if my comment even makes sense in the context of your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it completely makes sense.

      I suppose my frustration that resulted in the post is from a larger frustration that I am experiencing, which is the general breakdown of societal courtesies, the "glue" that holds societies together. We have become incredibly forward and (I would argue) destructive in our relationships with one another. An added issue to this is that for many, they are trying to operate in two worlds: one world in which they still wish to have the old ways of being respected and deference while also living in the new world of trash talk and confrontation. You cannot have both: if the world of confrontation is the new normal, then you by default cede all the old models.

      I do admire you greatly, as I do Gene Logsdon, Masanobu Fukuoka, Leigh over at Five Acres and A Dream, and anyone who has gone and lived a life which they believe is truly in line with their values. It is something I aspire to, although it seems to be taking me a long time to get there.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!