Sunday, July 19, 2026

A Year Of Kindness (XXVII): Loaning Our Strength

 


One of the interesting things in doing a series like this is the very different thoughts that present themselves, ways of looking at things like humility or kindness in different ways.  Today's thought - Kindness as loaning someone our strength - is one of those items.

If I think about it initially, that seems counterintuitive to me.  When I am kind, it is myself that is taking the action.  It is not a loan as I would typically think about it, a temporary giving of something that I possess.

But if I think about it a little more, I realize my understanding is shallow.

Some of the times people have extended their kindness to me were times when I was truly in a spot of weakness - depressed, feeling lost, often reeling from the results of my own sin or thoughtlessness.  In those moments, the kindness of others never once reminded me of my current condition or how I had gotten there. It gave me the strength to get through the moment.

Sometimes that loaning of strength through kindness was for a moment.  Sometimes, as it turns out, it was for years. But in my case, the people that were kind, that lent me their strength, were never stingy about it.

We are all stronger than we think we are - and having that strength, we can afford to lend it to those in need of a little kindness to help them be strong in their own times of need.

I can show my strength.  I can be kind.

12 comments:

  1. Kindness seems to be fairly strong here in our neighborhood on the edge of city limits. Our trash pickup is on Friday so often families leave on vacations before the trash gets picked up and so often myself and others find ourselves wheeling trashcans back up to the houses so they don't stand out by the street all weekend. For awhile I never knew who took care of ours, only that it found it's way back up to the house. But eventually technology got cheaper and we got a security camera that recorded the good deed and so I am amble to thank them upon our return.

    Another form that shows up is in the form of food. At this time of year, our garden excesses typically get shared with all our neighbors. Later on in the year, their "cooking excesses" sometimes get shared with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed - That is wonderful. I do not know how to compare that - for example, in our current living situation, we are mostly invisible neighbors to each other, with perhaps a nod in the morning as we go out to our cars.

      I will say that such a relationship exists among my coworkers.

      Delete
    2. I lived that way too during my apartment years. I honestly felt as if my neighbors wanted to remain invisible for the most part. I honestly feel that feeling of invisibility was a part of wanting to buy a house later on so that I wasn't invisible anymore. Part of developing roots in an area I suppose.

      Delete
  2. Nylon128:17 AM

    Indeed TB, lending doesn't mean it's lost to you forever. Amplifying Ed here the recycle truck visits first and often those carts get put down further out in the street than where they were before pick-up so I move the "offenders" back in the driveways before the garbage trucks arrives since the majority of my neighbors are away working. Doesn't cost me anything and a little walking never hurts eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12, if we would simply take the time to look out for each other, even the people we do not know, we would be a better society (I think this is one of the strengths of Japanese culture).

      I need to get a picking stick for trash when I walk (given the industry I work in, just "picking it up" creeps me out a bit).

      Delete
    2. Nylon1210:57 AM

      Nitrile gloves and a plastic trash bag work just fine when I go for walk down on the lake, drop the bag in the trash cans set up every quarter mile on the asphalt paths.

      Delete
    3. I had thought about nitrile gloves. My only tendency towards leaning towards the stick is that it is durable (instead of disposable, although technically you are throwing a bag away; the gloves are just one more thing.

      Delete
  3. Excellent T.B 👍🏻
    "Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word,
    a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring,
    all of which have the potential to turn a life around."
    - Leo Buscaglia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. B - Thank you, and what a great quote from Leo Buscaglia! I remember learning about him many, many years ago in high school Psychology. I should go back and revisit him; I recall him as one of those people I read and just could not help feeling better after.

      Delete
  4. Hadn't thought of it that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not either, John. But once I did...well, it makes a fair amount of sense.

      Delete
  5. It takes inner strength to choose kindness. Funny it should be that way, that withholding kindness seems to come more naturally. But its a wonderful way to encourage others.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!