At the nearby city of Siam Reap is the Angkor National Museum, which holds a series of artifacts and historical displays about the site.
A woven tapestry from West Bengal, India called a kantha, depicting Indian women in their daily tasks, a gift to the museum.
Leave it to me to find the rabbits:
One of the main displays of the Museum is referred to as 1,000 Buddha Gallery, a collection of Buddhist statues:
This map shows how Buddhism spread in Asia:
A handy guide to the gestures of the Buddha for non-Buddhists:
My wife and I are two completely different museum goers. My wife will read every single word of every display and after five minutes of leaving will have forgotten 99% of everything. I on the other hand, usually just skim through the displays, stopping to read when something catches my eye. After I leave, I feel like I have absorbed the overall picture but maybe 20% of the details and even most of those fade away within a day unless I take a picture of the description. I usually do that so I can write about it later in a blog post. In the end, I usually finish an hour or more before she is ready to go so I have to find a place to sit and read until she is ready.
ReplyDeleteEd, I tend to be a "read every word of the display" fellow as well, although I also having started taking pictures of the signs as well (mostly to support my writing later). In a turn of events here, The Ravishing Mrs. TB is usually the one waiting.
DeleteLearning a bit more of the Eastern religions TB curtesy of your travels, time to put Angkor Wat on the reading list for the next library visit. Oh BTW TB, rabbits......seems to be Nature's Pork Rinds around this homestead, seen a neighbor's cat dragging a rabbit as big as it was the other evening.....good crop of those hoppies this summer season.
ReplyDeleteNylon12 - Yay learning about new things!
DeleteI finally saw a wild hare in our neck of the woods in New Home 2.0, after living here over two years.