The more I ponder kindness and look for quotes and thoughts on it, the more that I find that I am realizing the seeming ordinariness of it.
Yes, of course there are extravagant gestures of kindness (the Cross being the biggest ever, of course). And yet, extravagant gestures are very often a one time sort of event.
Most kindness is the sort of thing I can practice every day. It really can be the simplest of gestures: A smile. Holding the door. Giving a small gift to someone for no reason. Listening to someone who needs to talk.
It is odd to me that I think about such things as a sort of choice: Should I do this? Could I do this?
Sometimes it is an inconvenience. Sometimes it is something that costs us something. But given that kindness is something that I as a Christian am a beneficiary of from God, why do I even ask the question? If I have the opportunity to make someone's day better, should I not always take it?
I suspect - sadly - my unwillingness to do so reveal more about me and my own self centeredness.
If by doing an act of kindness I can make someone else's day, I should being doing it. Full stop.
After all, life is hard. By kindness I can at least make it a bit better, even if for a short time.
From experience, I can say that the most impactful kindnesses have been the little things people have done for me. Grand gestures are appreciated, but it's the little spontaneous acts that affect me most deeply.
ReplyDeleteLeigh - Me too. Especially the kindnesses that were extended when I was either very low or very much in need, even if the giver did not know that.
DeleteAn anonymous donor paid for our family of 6 at the Mexican restaurant. Musing later, my husband recollected that on his way for salsa he had merely extended his hand to help an elderly man arise from his seat.
ReplyDeleteAnon - what wonderful thing and at some level for everyone, what a great memory. I think I remember every time a stranger paid for something for me. Often I did not know who they were.
DeleteDo a small thing for someone else often enough and it becomes a habit and not a choice TB. Smiling and saying "Hello" when meeting another on the path around the local lake also means your face is not buried in that cell phone........:)
ReplyDeleteGood point Nylon12. It is hard to do much of anything with your head buried in a phone.
DeleteYup. And sometimes people just want another human to listen to them.
ReplyDeleteJohn, it is often shocking to me how much a simple stop and hear someone out improves their mood (mine, too).
Delete