It is hard for me to believe that in two days, we will be effectively mid-way through 2026. Time seems to both have flown and not have moved at all, yet here I find myself of the cusp of Summer.
(Pictures today from our local Japanese garden; we missed the iris bloom by about a week.)
A 50 year old flowering rhododendron bonsai. I do not believe I have ever see a flowering bonsai before.
I do not think I fully mentioned that at the end of last month, my job duties changed somewhat.
Instead of backfilling my previous manager's position, the company has elected to hire another individual at my level - or in this case, transfer a coworker in an adjacent department over. The great news is that this is someone I have worked with since I started two years ago and we work well together. My direct reports have dropped to more of a manageable level (from 16 to 8).
We are working on separating additional duties. The next step, for me, is to start managing more and "doing" a little less.
The Allotment is coming along - I have yet to post pictures because (frankly) I am a little embarrassed by it. This year really feels like I am just throwing things in the ground and hoping for the best - that said, I do have evidence that tomatoes, corn, and beans of various kinds are growing.
The Allotment is complicated by two factors. The first is a pretty serious shade issue that seems to run 50% of the day (I see why this is the plot that was up for grabs). The other has been our weather, which has whipped between the lower mid-90's and the lower 50's at night. If this year is anything like previous years, this all gets sorted out starting in July, when we hit the hot and sunny season until the end of September.
In a bit of a genuine surprise, I was not going to make my minimum 4 hours of service commitment prior to the end of the first half of the year. I reached out to the co-ordinator of the program and they offered - volitionally - to extend my timeframe, which was exceedingly kind and helpful (I missed the work party opportunities because of previous plans set earlier in the year).
I have started re-tracking my food intake/macros.
The reasoning is two-fold: The first is that with my upcoming hike in August, any less of me that I have drag around is a welcome thing. The second is with my recent knee/Iliotibial band issues, I do not wonder if the additional weight I have had for the last year or two have not contributed to the situation.
Breakfast, lunch, and snacks are pretty easy to manage during the week. Dinner is more difficult, but mostly due to portion size.
Losing 10 lbs is the goal; losing 20 lbs would be the equivalent of the moonshot.
The Small Group I was co-leading is finished.
It ran the full 10 weeks plus a end of the session celebratory dinner. Most of the credit for the success of the group (and arguably, it was successful) goes to my co-leader, who is a humble servant of God and great conversationalist. My job was largely praying us in and out, smart quips, and (very) occasional insights.
We have a couple of activities planned for the Summer, then plan to merge into the larger men's organization come Autumn.












My first post since I've been back and turned on my computer and it seems like a wonderful recap. Shade does make gardening hard as well as an entirely new climate zone I'm sure. But I'm positive that you'll learn a lot from this year and transfer that knowledge into a more productive growing season next year. At least that is always what I tell myself.
ReplyDeleteWelcome back Ed! I look forward to the report.
DeleteI am (as usual) probably being harder on myself than I should be. It really is Year Zero - if anything grows, I will be grateful.
On the bright side, the fact they were willing to work with me on the volunteer hours makes these a very good choice in my book.
That bonsai, a riot of color TB, well captured too. Ever get a chance to talk anybody on their Allotments? Get advice from them? Get the soil pH tested at a local university? Just throwing mud at the wall and seeing what sticks.......;) Good luck on the weight, less intake and more walking perhaps? Chocolate chip cookies are my bane.
ReplyDeleteNylon12 - That bonsai is amazing is it not?
DeleteI have not gotten to talk to anyone really at The Allotment yet; my watering hours do not really cover others. Still, we will just keep at it (the soil test is a good idea).
Less intake, more workouts, and more walking is indeed the ticket, at least in my book.
Your temps go from 90s down to 50s at night? That's amazing. I just hope to get below 70 at night.
ReplyDeleteThe Japanese Garden looks like a lovely place to visit. Any chance of getting a new allotment space next year?
Leigh, I should have been a bit more precise - they can go from 90 to mid-50's F by nightfall early in the Summer; later they sit around the 70's at night. Although to be fair, the next 10 days are high 70's during the day and low 50's at night.
DeleteThe Japanese Garden is by far the best one I have been to in the U.S. If nothing else comes of this move but that, it was worth it.
I suppose there is an opportunity for a new parcel at The Allotment. That said, it looks like most of the sunnier patches are taken and many of them are pretty built up, suggesting folks have been there a long time. I can look at the map, but I might just have to adapt for a while.
I think organizations that rely on volunteers are so glad to have them that they will be as flexible as possible. It is so hard to believe this year is half-way over. Sounds like you have filled it and continue to fill it with worthwhile endeavors.
ReplyDeleteBob, this is the first time I have worked with a local government adjacent office. I have to say the experience has been really great.
DeleteIt is hard to believe the year is half over, right? And still so much to do.