Friday, June 12, 2026

Ode To A Cigarette Butt


 You met my eye in early morning,
forlorn on the sidewalk:
white paper, scorched paper,
lipstick stained filter.
A sentinel from a late night
or an early morning?

I used to see your kind in flocks
once upon a time,
clusters of used fire-sticks 
by diners and coffee shops, in rest stops, 
along trails.
Wherever people gathered,
there you were.

Now I hardly see you at all:
times have changed, you have changed:
once a cherished rite of passage and rebellion
you are now a harbinger of death,
a reminder of a long ago.

What stories would you tell of your brief life,
smoke wafting, fire slowly creeping up your steam,
held in the hands and pink lips of the one 
who cast you aside?

I do not miss you as such,
but you do remind me 
of a not so distant past.

6 comments:

  1. STxAR7:14 AM

    Old saw was, you got the mens adult Sunday school class count from the number of butts in the corner of the parking lot divided by two. Southern Baptists, naturally. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR - That is hilarious!

      Growing up in my particular mainline denominations, smoking was already well on the way out. Sadly, this was not a device that could be used.

      Delete
  2. Nylon127:17 AM

    Friend of mine is an ex-smoker, he's repeatedly made mention of the current cost of those death sticks. Less butts seen on the path around the lake yet plastic, wrappers and bottles, have replaced them. I take a plastic garbage bag with me when I walk to pick up other peoples laziness.......:) Why people continue to smoke is beyond me TB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:45 AM

      All the kool kids are doing it.
      Would you believe pot was my gateway drug to nicotine? My cig-smoking friends said it was useful to puff a cancer-stick after our joint sessions, because it 'kicked your buzz up', and the cig-smoke covered up the other kind (both true)!
      I stopped smoking butts when my kids were born. Ironically enough, used the other to help me quit!

      Delete
    2. Nylon12 - Well, apparently it has been a while since I looked. A current pack of cigarettes in New Home 2.0 averages $11.00. That is easily over a dollar a cigarette.

      You are indeed correct that things like plastic, wrappers - our disposable culture - has replaced things like cigarette butts. And thank you for taking the time to clean up after others. Apparently our culture is "disposable" in all senses of the word, including what we do with our trash after we use it.

      I never understood smoking (only tried cigarettes twice that I know of). I think at this point it is as much an act of rebellion against society as it is the habit itself.

      Delete
    3. Anon - How interesting? I do not think I have ever heard of one leading to the other - and then helping one to quit!

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!