Friday, April 10, 2026

Device Hoarding

 In an attempt to stay at least mildly "hip", I follow one or two Tube Of You "podcasters" (given the origin of the term podcast, it seems a little odd to me that a video is a podcast, but here we are) that deal in the sorts of Nerd Culture that I enjoy keeping a pulse on, even if I do not really participate:  Role Playing Games (now apparently "Tabletop Gaming"), video games, entertainment, the occasional tech discussion.  While it is mostly a reflection of current events in the space, it is often an interesting view of the social beliefs and systems that underlying those developments.  

It was during one of these discussions that I heard the term "Device Hoarder".

A Device Hoarder, it was mentioned, is someone that simply fails to upgrade their devices on a regular basis.  In the particular context of the discussion, it was with the recent price increases of game consoles to $1,000 or more and the not surprising fact that many gamers are choosing to either keep their old systems or are actively seeking out old systems.

I assumed it was a rather specific term in the industry but decided to do a bit of reading.  Turns out Device Hoarding is considered a real thing.

---

There are two versions of Device Hoarders.  The first is the Device Hoarding where individuals just keep purchasing new electronics but never get rid of (or "recycle", however that works) their old devices.  Per at least one article, 88% of Americans as of 2024 had devices worth up to $67.8 Billion stashed away (No note in the article if that was calculated on original value or current estimated value).

The second version is Device Hoarding where individuals and businesses do not upgrade their electronic devices on a frequent - say annual - basis.  There are those that have associated a loss of productivity with this failure to upgrade to take advantage of upgrades in technology, about 0.3% per annum. 

Thus, apparently, Device Hoarders have accomplished that most rare of events, creating multiple issues simply by not upgrading and not turning over those items that they upgraded.

---

Cleverly of course, this sort of "waste" is presented as having multiple impacts.:

- New technologies - Internet speed, better software - are held back, resulting in productivity losses.

- Unrecycled electronics are not returned to the market, where they can either be recycled or resold (to be noted, likely below the original purchase price or for free).

- Unrecycled electronics are not recycled, thus creating waste.

- Electronics manufacturers are denied the regular income of profits that comes from regular updates of electronics (e.g., Consumers are not consuming quickly enough).

---

Am I a Device Hoarder?  Yes, yes I am.

My computer is 12 years old at this point with a now-unavailable operating system (Windows 10) and a a plugged in keyboard as the computer keyboard has a row that does not work.  My cell phone (Computer In My Pocket) is two years (a miracle for me, although the camera is arguably a great benefit).  Our other in-home electronics - television, Roku device, CD/VCR player - are of various ages, but none of which are younger than 6 years.

I am, indeed, apparently part of the problem.

And yet...

And yet, my lack of new technology has not hindered me.  My computer is really only used for the InterWeb and for personal work, mainly word processing and spreadsheets (and the very occasional game).  My phone gets more use as a camera or communication device via text than it ever does as a phone.  Our television/DVD and VCR/Roku player gets a handful of hours of use a week.  The "loss" of productivity is unnoticeable to me - if I can no longer use a function or get a thing, I simply move on with an alternate.

Plus, of course, given the prices of everything, the idea of regularly repurchasing electronics (or really, anything) just because it is "out of date" is ridiculous.  For example, even figuring low on the computer side, I save between $600 and $1,000 every year I do not upgrade.  

I have enough.  I do not need more.

---

Interestingly, the articles I read never suggested any of the benefits of Device Hoarding.  The cynical side of me finds this to be a terribly one-sided view of the affair.

But perhaps understandable.  Often times if there is not a crisis, it is quite acceptable to create one.

14 comments:

  1. Interesting. And if I may say, their arguments seem to be more profit oriented than human oriented, with your last point hitting the nail on the head, "Electronics manufacturers are denied the regular income of profits that comes from regular updates of electronics." They even came up with a negative sounding name for it to scold us, because for some reason "hoarding" is always selfish and bad. Not a persuasive point, because who made it my job to be everybody's cash cow, anyway?

    All of our devices are old too. In fact, I prefer refurbished computers to new ones. Cost is the biggest factor, but also they are less spy-on-the-user capable. Then there's the learning curve, especially when many of the new features are useless in terms of practicality.

    As far as discarding/recycling, our land fill has a humongous dumpster overflowing with old electronics devices, each one loaded with the previous owner's personal data including passwords, credit card numbers, and bank accounts. I will happily recycle our old devices, but only after I've removed the hard drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, I was initially in disbelief that such a term existed. Turns out I was wrong.

      Good catch on the use of "Hoarding" as way to shame people about doing things.

      At some point I will have to get a new computer (it will happen eventually); I would either get a refurbished model (as you point out, it involves less cost and less of a learning curve and frankly, will meet my every need) or something completely different like an Apple product. I am not continuing down the Windows hole.

      One additional note beyond the amount of waste and the fact that personal data may still exist is just the amount of effort it takes to recycle electronics. It is not easy to do right and fairly inconvenient.

      Delete
    2. TB, consider a Linux OS. I use Ubuntu, which is extremely user friendly. Some people refuse because it doesn't have MS Word or Photoshop, but the free open source alternatives that come with it are really excellent (plus Word is now available to use for free online.)

      Delete
    3. Linux has been recommended more than once. I suppose I am just one of those individuals that, having impacted their computers in the past, am a little reluctant to try again.

      Not having Microsoft products is not an issue. I have used Libre Office for years; it completely serves my meager writing and spreadsheet needs.

      Delete
  2. I'm on your side TB. I am surrounded with older tech and I would argue it doesn't cost me any lost time but only saves me money. But I would agree I am not someone who is currently using this tech as a career either. When I was a working stiff, we stayed up to date with software and occasionally hardware because time was money in that scenario. Here it only matters if it becomes an inconvenience to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I have no loss of "productivity" at home because of my older items (as you do). As for my job, if they want me to be "more productive", they will get me a new computer (funny thing: Corporations are pretty cost conscious and increasing productivity through new purchases like computers is not generally endorsed).

      Delete
  3. Nylon128:52 AM

    Your last sentence rings the bell TB..."if there is not a crisis, it's quite acceptable to create one". Like laying in a few days of food supplies for emergencies got labeled "HOARDING!!! EVIL!!! SELFISH!!!" There is always someone out there with an agenda. The cell phone I have is a flip phone, used for CALLS and receiving texts to verify ID, I don't miss having the latest smart phone and my face is not glued to a small electronic screen especially when outside or with others. Electronics get replaced when they no longer work, not when someone screams "Newer, Better, More Capable!!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12 - Anything that smacks of not conforming to the established narrative is a thing which must be destroyed - except when it becomes fashionable. I recall, for example, when preparing was considered extremist - until the U.S. government quietly began suggesting having a few supplies laid up for an emergency was not bad.

      I keep thinking I would like to go back to a flip phone, but the camera option is so darn convenient.

      Delete
  4. I just got a two year old refurb. I don't mind. I'm hard on hand held tools. My newest pc is 6 years old and has Win 10 on it, too. I had a buddy that got latest and greatest. He paid 5,000 for a plasma tv on the front edge of the tech wave. No thanks....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR - I am hard on things as well and hate to spend money on things I know I will beat up, unless I have to (Iai related items, for example).

      I have never been on the "cutting edge" of technology. Having lived through the Beta-mas and Laser Disc eras, I know how promising new things can become completely worthless in a few years.

      Delete
  5. The technology treadmill has some serious downsides - invested in VCR, had to replace with DVDs, now it's all streaming, and you own nothing concrete, the provider can cut you off on a whim. At least my DVDs I own and can play as often as I want without having to check whether any streaming service happens to have that offering at this time.
    These days, I have abandoned the Windows monster, and just use cheap tablets and free spreadsheet and doc creation apps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will, I am moving back to some extent into DVDs - as you point out, with streaming you own nothing and can be cut off at any time (I have physical books for the same reason).

      Other than Windows 10, I steadfastly do not use Microsoft in my personal life. Libre Office is sufficient for all of my writing and spreadsheet needs. Given how infrequently I use my computer, not more than two hours a day, I can go as long as the computer keeps running.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous12:20 AM

    W. in CA
    Everyone pretty much covered it, but my two cents is starting over learning a new device is a pain. Finding what and where to click and setting preferences is so counterproductive. I still miss my old phone from 3 years ago, this June, that barely stayed charged. It was a smaller smartphone that actually fit completely inside my pocket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is fair, W. I certainly begrudge the multiple updates the Computer In My Pocket gets. I liked the old interface much more than the new one.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!